Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The tires are general g-max AS-05... they suprised both me and the instructor at how far they could be pushed.. granted I was being gentle because I had to drive the car home, but they were definitly pushed. It was full course, the only place he made any nervous sound was in hog pen when I came in to fast.. you can hear him... watch it watch it... whatchh it.. both me and him thought i was going for a field expidition but the tires held. I think suspension would help alot to.. felt like one of those wavy arm things sometimes, it also felt like floating on faster stretches. Though that could be an areo thing, maybe splitter will help keep some air from under the car?
Nice run on the auto cross.. last time I did one in a dodge ram diesel. they had a box you had to stop in at the end, points subtracted if you blew it. As I came in the judge was literally diving out of the way because he thought I was gonna cross the line at the end of the stop zone hard.. nope stopped perfectly. for small tight autocross these cars are probaby awesome if the trans will behave.

On the delete thing... I know the avaliable programming jams up the dpf fast... what happens if you straight pipe the dpf but put all the sensors back in? maybe with some resistance in either to simulate that the dpf still is there?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Minor correction instructors name is Duane Black..Not sure if I called him that there or not. He always responded..lol

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The tires are general g-max AS-05... they suprised both me and the instructor at how far they could be pushed.. granted I was being gentle because I had to drive the car home, but they were definitly pushed. It was full course, the only place he made any nervous sound was in hog pen when I came in to fast.. you can hear him... watch it watch it... whatchh it.. both me and him thought i was going for a field expidition but the tires held. I think suspension would help alot to.. felt like one of those wavy arm things sometimes, it also felt like floating on faster stretches. Though that could be an areo thing, maybe splitter will help keep some air from under the car?
Nice run on the auto cross.. last time I did one in a dodge ram diesel. they had a box you had to stop in at the end, points subtracted if you blew it. As I came in the judge was literally diving out of the way because he thought I was gonna cross the line at the end of the stop zone hard.. nope stopped perfectly. for small tight autocross these cars are probaby awesome if the trans will behave.

On the delete thing... I know the avaliable programming jams up the dpf fast... what happens if you straight pipe the dpf but put all the sensors back in? maybe with some resistance in either to simulate that the dpf still is there?
If you ditch the emissions and not tune for it then you’ll get a countdown that will slow you down to 10 miles an hour within 75 miles if I recall. The high speed floating I would think is the very under dampened shocks and struts. That or mileage, the suspension is made to be comfortable not responsive remember it is an economy car. Our diesel already has full underbody panels for smooth airflow so not much to improve. Me I’d cut some fender ducts to evac wheel well air, duct from the fog lights to the brakes, and a rear
Splitter in the rear since after axle to bumper it’s bare underbody.

I have a set of bilstien B14 coil overs to put in once things settle down. These are monotube design with much better spring rates and damping that and the white line rear sway bar to help with understeer.

thanks it was a good run for being a new car to me. What really threw me in the loop is having an automatic and a car that you can hardly hear when it wants to shift up. With my supra I could clearly tell exactly when the shift up instinctively. Same as my motorcycles

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
2:50 on the full course in an automatic diesel Cruze on middling all season tires is pretty good. That's nearly 70mph average speed. The production car lap record is 1:51 with Chevy engineers in a ZR1.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts

The differential pressure sensor will eventually get confused and cause a REP. That will be the first issue that pops up.

Without the DOC the vehicle will keep trying to Regen... And then fail as the temperatures don’t follow the predicted ramp... Also producing reduced engine power.

Simply put it’s more complicated than resistors. But for the p21dd DEF heaters you actaully can use resistors to spoof it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,592 Posts
The tires are general g-max AS-05... they suprised both me and the instructor at how far they could be pushed.. granted I was being gentle because I had to drive the car home, but they were definitly pushed.
The higher-performance Generals do seem to have a fair bit of performance ability, especially for being very new tires to the market.

A buddy of mine has a '15 Camaro Z/28, and he's been tracking the thing on G-MAX RS UHP summer tires, and has been incredibly impressed how well they do. That's saying something, because those cars come from the factory with Trofeo Rs.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The higher-performance Generals do seem to have a fair bit of performance ability, especially for being very new tires to the market.

A buddy of mine has a '15 Camaro Z/28, and he's been tracking the thing on G-MAX RS UHP summer tires, and has been incredibly impressed how well they do. That's saying something, because those cars come from the factory with Trofeo Rs.
Interesting to hear that. I’ve always been under the impression that general is kinda bottom shelf along with kunho. Oddly enough since general seems to be continental tire. I do tend not to really like continental however

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,592 Posts
I think they're really coming into their own lately, but still without charging a fortune - the AltiMAX RT-43s are definitely one of the more well-rounded all-seasons out there - my brother could probably run his in snow on his Buick, as they have fairly decent snow performance, per Tire Rack ratings - but he runs AltiMAX Arctics, which are absolutely beasts in the snow, and are dirt cheap.

I ran them on my Cavalier, and you could yank the parking brake while making a turn on snow (something that is always fun at low speeds making turns in the sub to drift the cars a bit - my dad used to do that all the time with his E-150 work van, albeit simply with throttle, since it was RWD) and the car literally would stay on the same path it was, it would just slow down. The back end would NOT come out - those things just grabbed. If I recall, they used old Nokian molds for their tires (looking back at the previous gen Nokian Hakkapeliitta at the time, they seemed to match), which is a great starting point, because Nokian.

They don't look to have a million different versions of tires in each category, and I think that allows them to properly focus on making each tire as best as it can be for the price.

I'm not usually a fan of Continental tires either...with the exception of the ExtremeContact DWS tires. Those are an absolutely outstanding high-performance all-season tire that does very well in snow (especially for an UHPAS tire). My father-in-law has a '14 Cadillac CTS, and he is getting ready for new tires here soon, and that was going to be one of my recommendations (he lives in NC, but eventually he, and the car, will be moving back to Michigan). The stock Bridgestone Potenza RE97 AS Runflats are both not great, and very expensive.

But honestly...the GMAS AS-05 is $46 cheaper a tire and looks to perform just as well in all categories - proven to be even track-worthy in this thread, so...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The general tires did make me question as you usually get what you pay for but them seemed to hold up well. Though on my list of wants and wishes is a set of track wheels one inch larger with hankook rs4 .. recommended for hpde. I just am doing research to find a wheel that will not add too much rotational mass over what I have now. I used to drive on 18s in a car that was stock 17 like this one... that 1 inch was a game changer in stability/sidewall flex.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I think they're really coming into their own lately, but still without charging a fortune - the AltiMAX RT-43s are definitely one of the more well-rounded all-seasons out there - my brother could probably run his in snow on his Buick, as they have fairly decent snow performance, per Tire Rack ratings - but he runs AltiMAX Arctics, which are absolutely beasts in the snow, and are dirt cheap.

I ran them on my Cavalier, and you could yank the parking brake while making a turn on snow (something that is always fun at low speeds making turns in the sub to drift the cars a bit - my dad used to do that all the time with his E-150 work van, albeit simply with throttle, since it was RWD) and the car literally would stay on the same path it was, it would just slow down. The back end would NOT come out - those things just grabbed. If I recall, they used old Nokian molds for their tires (looking back at the previous gen Nokian Hakkapeliitta at the time, they seemed to match), which is a great starting point, because Nokian.

They don't look to have a million different versions of tires in each category, and I think that allows them to properly focus on making each tire as best as it can be for the price.

I'm not usually a fan of Continental tires either...with the exception of the ExtremeContact DWS tires. Those are an absolutely outstanding high-performance all-season tire that does very well in snow (especially for an UHPAS tire). My father-in-law has a '14 Cadillac CTS, and he is getting ready for new tires here soon, and that was going to be one of my recommendations (he lives in NC, but eventually he, and the car, will be moving back to Michigan). The stock Bridgestone Potenza RE97 AS Runflats are both not great, and very expensive.
My continental experience comes from the motorcycle tires. They are quality tires that are safe and reliable albeit they just don’t shine in any departments. The few continental car tires I have rode on have been the same. They are just background components and just that. The Michelin and BFG I ride on always feel so engaging and communicating of the road. Continental however are always a good deal price wise, plus them being safe quality is a good bet.
Yah I hear nothing but praise from nokian tires in snow. Definitely the bigger companies have too many tires in each segment. One of the reasons why I like BFgoodrich is they have less to go through

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
thanks it was a good run for being a new car to me. What really threw me in the loop is having an automatic and a car that you can hardly hear when it wants to shift up. With my supra I could clearly tell exactly when the shift up instinctively. Same as my motorcycles
That was something else I struggled with.. after driving a true manual that I could hear. Many times on track I "lost" where I was in the manual click settings. You would have to look down at the worst time to see where you were and get your mind to... i gotta click 3 times to get the gear I need... instead of just feeling the gates of the shifter.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The general tires did make me question as you usually get what you pay for but them seemed to hold up well. Though on my list of wants and wishes is a set of track wheels one inch larger with hankook rs4 .. recommended for hpde. I just am doing research to find a wheel that will not add too much rotational mass over what I have now. I used to drive on 18s in a car that was stock 17 like this one... that 1 inch was a game changer in stability/sidewall flex.
I hold general and kumho on the same level. Mid grade, they are quality made and reliable but don’t shine in any department. Way better then Walmart tires not as good as BFG-mich-Bridgestone.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
That was something else I struggled with.. after driving a true manual that I could hear. Many times on track I "lost" where I was in the manual click settings. You would have to look down at the worst time to see where you were and get your mind to... i gotta click 3 times to get the gear I need... instead of just feeling the gates of the shifter.
100% same here. I was so odd. Even with automatic trans with paddles a normal gas 4-6-8 I can hear the engine so shifts come instinctively. The diesel I found myself bouncing off rev limiter and also having to search for the gear. If the 2.0 was super duty loud I could at least tell but it’s whisper quiet. Great in a daily not so much track.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts