Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Racing a Diesel Cruze

21871 179
Hey all been driving my 2014 diesel cruze for a while now. Been ghosting cruzetalk.com for the same amount of time and figured why not get into the community more.
Don't need the cruze as a daily driver any more, and have decided to go back into the track world 13 years later. With just the basic dpf delete and programming from fleece, the low end get go is pretty decent. I am getting the car ready for a track day at VIR in oct. It's always fun to put almost a stock commuter on track with cars that are supposed to be there..lol. I remember quite a few "commuter" cars dampening the ego of others. I have been out of the mix so long I am just going to start at the bottom of the HPDE ladder and go from there.
My intentions from this outing in october are to get a feel for where to go next with the modifications.
I think this car may be decent as it has basic get go and the parts are cheap.. I used to drive a 3000gt Vr4.. soooo. I am always pleasantly suprised at how cheap parts can be for the cruze.

I am also considering getting a second of these to turn into a dedicated track car. Due to having the experience of being a former mechanic and still a machinist wanna be, I may even go as far as serious engine work and possibly a better or twin turbo setup to keep the lag at min while giving higher top end.

If others are interested you are more that welcome to join me at VIR OCT 3-4. the event is put on by NASA. (national auto sport association-.. not the space one.) I believe there are still openings in the HPDE fields. From past experience beginners see huge increase even in their daily driving confidence and safety.

Company and advice are welcome and much appreciated.
121 - 140 of 180 Posts

· Registered
2,992 Posts
They don’t care. Meanwhile US border patrol and TSA stop maybe like 1% of smuggling.
i remember after 9/11 the first day the sweetgrass, mt border crossing had their gamma ray? scanner for semi trucks setup...the FIRST truck they scanned had ~300 dogs in the 53' reefer trailer, stacked up in cages....huskies and lassie collie dogs...the first truck.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
yep it can be iffy I know anything from over seas can have issues... that's why when I bought that exman turbo i was surprised when it show up by the end of the week and the packaging wasn't destroyed...It was from england... not china... everything from there is trashed...lol

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I'm feeling a little confused ... don't know how I feel as I just picked up a cheap bmw 355D to use for track. Still diesel but stock 265hp and 410torque. tuner turned me onto it as should be able to safely get it to around 400 hp and 800 torque. A little more pep on track.. I will probably still run the cruze and my son is close to track age and is already drooling to get his hands on it for track. Still remember his ... ohhh sh..... face..lol

· Registered
302 Posts
We’re still waiting for dyno numbers on that Xman hybrid turbo. You’re probably the only person in NA that has one installed.

I want one but really want to see what the benefits are and if it meets the claim of 220-230 hp.

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I'm feeling a little confused ... don't know how I feel as I just picked up a cheap bmw 355D to use for track. Still diesel but stock 265hp and 410torque. tuner turned me onto it as should be able to safely get it to around 400 hp and 800 torque. A little more pep on track.. I will probably still run the cruze and my son is close to track age and is already drooling to get his hands on it for track. Still remember his ... ohhh sh..... face..lol
Doesn’t mean a thi
Do you guys not have access to people who can hybrid the stock turbo?
not really. It’s a engine that’s very rare va say a 350 or a LS. so the folks that can do the work would charge quite a big premium. Doing one off work is never cheap.

· Registered
2011 Chevy Cruze LT 2.0VCDI 5spd Manual
19 Posts
Doesn’t mean a thi

not really. It’s a engine that’s very rare va say a 350 or a LS. so the folks that can do the work would charge quite a big premium. Doing one off work is never cheap.
Its cheaper for me to have my stock turbo sent in to be made into a hybrid than importing a ready made product, the guy I'm going to use guaranteed a safe boost pressure of 2bar

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Its cheaper for me to have my stock turbo sent in to be made into a hybrid than importing a ready made product, the guy I'm going to use guaranteed a safe boost pressure of 2bar
I don’t doubt your shop can and will. I’m saying many times when it’s not a popular set up it costs more.

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Id
Luckily we don't have the EPA breathing down our necks. There's a couple of guys here that built a 1.9 from vw to run 6500rpm on a daily basis:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
love for the EPA to pipe down. They come down hard on diesel but give a pass to gasoline engines. Off clogged catalytic converter? Don’t worry about that CE light vs us it’s a slow down to uselessness

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,107 Posts
They have nothing better to do man
They do, I just think the Diesel Bros are such gigantic douches they focused right in on them and won't stop.

Reactions: pandrad61

· Registered
2011 Chevy Cruze LT 2.0VCDI 5spd Manual
19 Posts
They do, I just think the Diesel Bros are such gigantic douches they focused right in on them and won't stop.
I only saw the other day how the Diesel Bros added to the troubles you guys have with the EPA. Look what they explained was a valid point, emissions systems on diesels are a load of bullshit, they clog easily, fail even more often and it lowers the overall lifespan and performance, on gasoline cars it doesn't to that extent cuz they not recycling exhaust through the motor like the egr does. But they did however delete all their trucks to the extent to get noticed.

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Agreed. Those dicks and the red neck (apparently red neck one word is a bad word on here now?) phase/culture decided rolling coal was cool. Now it drew so much attention the epa is cracking down. Either way I didn’t like that diesel needed DEF and gas didn’t have similar restrictions

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,107 Posts
Agreed. Those dicks and the red neck (apparently red neck one word is a bad word on here now?) phase/culture decided rolling coal was cool. Now it drew so much attention the epa is cracking down. Either way I didn’t like that diesel needed DEF and gas didn’t have similar restrictions
Well, gasoline doesn't have nearly the NOx emissions that diesel does - it's really driven by compression ratio.

However, what gasoline (specifically direct gasoline injection) does have is massive particulate issues. That's why GPFs are becoming popular in Europe. Fully expect them to make their way here soon.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
I know... im slacking I am going to the dyno soon gotta see what I can do with my new project and I will see what the new turbo does... it definitely has more top end even without tuning.. Oh and I have to put a new cv/axle in as it decided it didn't like summit point last saturday.... easy fix... cheap part.....nobody had one till monday.... sigh..
I haven't really looked into it much but the only difference is in the intake side... can't these be mixed and matched? and then change the cartridge?

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Well, gasoline doesn't have nearly the NOx emissions that diesel does - it's really driven by compression ratio.

However, what gasoline (specifically direct gasoline injection) does have is massive particulate issues. That's why GPFs are becoming popular in Europe. Fully expect them to make their way here soon.
Yah I know the emission isn’t equal but I feel diesel is way more stringent on their emissions as a whole. Vs gas is. I don’t see any gasoline engines being reduced speed

121 - 140 of 180 Posts