Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Racing a Diesel Cruze

21292 178
Hey all been driving my 2014 diesel cruze for a while now. Been ghosting cruzetalk.com for the same amount of time and figured why not get into the community more.
Don't need the cruze as a daily driver any more, and have decided to go back into the track world 13 years later. With just the basic dpf delete and programming from fleece, the low end get go is pretty decent. I am getting the car ready for a track day at VIR in oct. It's always fun to put almost a stock commuter on track with cars that are supposed to be there..lol. I remember quite a few "commuter" cars dampening the ego of others. I have been out of the mix so long I am just going to start at the bottom of the HPDE ladder and go from there.
My intentions from this outing in october are to get a feel for where to go next with the modifications.
I think this car may be decent as it has basic get go and the parts are cheap.. I used to drive a 3000gt Vr4.. soooo. I am always pleasantly suprised at how cheap parts can be for the cruze.

I am also considering getting a second of these to turn into a dedicated track car. Due to having the experience of being a former mechanic and still a machinist wanna be, I may even go as far as serious engine work and possibly a better or twin turbo setup to keep the lag at min while giving higher top end.

If others are interested you are more that welcome to join me at VIR OCT 3-4. the event is put on by NASA. (national auto sport association-.. not the space one.) I believe there are still openings in the HPDE fields. From past experience beginners see huge increase even in their daily driving confidence and safety.

Company and advice are welcome and much appreciated.
161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Wow that’s crazy. Good luck with that. I had VW TDIs before the Cruze and I thought they were more nimble and tight, especially the MKV Jetta with multilink rear end. This 2014 Cruze stock reminded my of driving a turbo diesel Buick sedan.

I read the throttle response with the Trifecta tune isn’t linear. I got the OZ tune, it’s mostly midrange power 2000-3500 rpm. The torque feels the same at 70% vs 100% throttle but at full throttle it revs higher and shifts at 4500.

You shouldn’t brake or accelerate in a hard turn, it reduces your dynamic grip.
I’ve never had an issue with TC/SC off. To me it’s more predicable with them off. The car then does what I say Vs the computer intervention that’s unknown. Even in the track I’ve never felt the need for stability control. The car isn’t soo fast or twitchy it gets out of hand.

I didn’t think OZ was still doing diesel tunes. Onlylegal options are trifecta ATM. The extra power will be nice but I’m more looking forward to the better trans tune and a more responsive throttle. I know it will never be liter bike with carbs good but stock GM throttle sucks.

min turns a lite brake or throttle I use to change the cars attitude. Absolutely big brake and throttle inputs don’t equal a good corner.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I’ve never had an issue with TC/SC off. To me it’s more predicable with them off. The car then does what I say Vs the computer intervention that’s unknown. Even in the track I’ve never felt the need for stability control. The car isn’t soo fast or twitchy it gets out of hand.

I didn’t think OZ was still doing diesel tunes. Onlylegal options are trifecta ATM. The extra power will be nice but I’m more looking forward to the better trans tune and a more responsive throttle. I know it will never be liter bike with carbs good but stock GM throttle sucks.

min turns a lite brake or throttle I use to change the cars attitude. Absolutely big brake and throttle inputs don’t equal a good corner.
OZ is gone. They had 2 tunes. I got the OZ emissions intact 30 hp tune with tire size correction and top speed limiter removal. Ordered in late summer 2019 right before their website went dark. It was shipped and then their site was 404 a couple days later. Probably got the last one. Crazy.

You may be able to have trifecta disable the TC/SC if you don’t want it on.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
OZ is gone. They had 2 tunes. I got the OZ emissions intact 30 hp tune with tire size correction and top speed limiter removal. Ordered in late summer 2019 right before their website went dark. It was shipped and then their site was 404 a couple days later. Probably got the last one. Crazy.

You may be able to have trifecta disable the TC/SC if you don’t want it on.
I just manually turn it off by the button. It stays off while driving. Even on the LRR tires with it off there was little intervention vs on. To GM compliment their controls are well made for most and turn off easily

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
I saw somebody mention trans tunes.. I haven't done it yet but level 10 in new jersey does a trans mod that was mentioned in a magazine. I contacted them cost 800 and he said basically it will shift when you tell it no delay no debate it will just go... its on you not to blow it up.. also they said they can but more engine braking in it.. wasn't sure about it but they did it to race cars from europe and they were happy with it. I got other priorities right now but when I get some resources free I will probably get my valve body modded.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I saw somebody mention trans tunes.. I haven't done it yet but level 10 in new jersey does a trans mod that was mentioned in a magazine. I contacted them cost 800 and he said basically it will shift when you tell it no delay no debate it will just go... its on you not to blow it up.. also they said they can but more engine braking in it.. wasn't sure about it but they did it to race cars from europe and they were happy with it. I got other priorities right now but when I get some resources free I will probably get my valve body modded.
I would absolutely love that kind of trans tune. However I could see it causing faster wear on the transmission. It was not designed for fast shifting, hell sport quick shifting may be as far as it goes.

kinda ticked me off the trifecta tune doesn’t remove the shift denied crap, or the into neutral at a stop.

In theory the Cruze could engine brake using the VNT turbo like the Colorado.I don’t see it doing all that much for us however.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
the engine braking for racing makes sense as you should either be on the throttle or braking ... there is no in between. I find my self fighting my instincts on this all the time, just have to rember the car will perform way past my comfort zone.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
the engine braking for racing makes sense as you should either be on the throttle or braking ... there is no in between. I find my self fighting my instincts on this all the time, just have to rember the car will perform way past my comfort zone.
Well diesel by their nature don’t have much pumping loss so a traditional engine brake of downshift isn’t as prominent. I just don’t know how much the VNT exhaust brake will change the driving dynamics. I’m curious how the lemans Audi turbo diesel handled engine braking

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Still rockin the diesel cruze on track. Figured out I may need to switch to actual track tires as I am starting to out-drive the street ones, literally put a years worth of track
wear on in one weekend.... sigh... but so worth it. Turned a 1:28 at NJMP Lightning. One of the other guys came up to tell me my car was smoking..lol.. and then the look on his face when I told him it was a diesel.. priceless. This car dominates in the curves and then looses out to the long straights to the big boys. Very frequently it is pressuring them through the curves on their bumpers, several finally give point bys as they know I will be right back on their bumper when we hit the next turn. Next track is VIR for hyperfest in May would love to see some other cruzes out there... hint.... hint..
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 · (Edited)
Just got back from Hyperfest... whot whot... It was awesome. Knocked a little more of my time at VIR down to 2.37. some of the video shows holding with the faster cars in the corners.. this car is awesome in rain too..

Also hit the speed limiter on the car on the back straight.. 124mph... it even gave me a dash nasty gram saying I had reached it..lol

·
Registered
2011 Chevy Cruze LT 2.0VCDI 5spd Manual
19 Posts
Not wanting to open a new thread just for a video.

I have been building a fun little daily with my euro spec diesel using the VM Motori RA 420 Sohc

here is a link of a test hit I did just after doing hybrid turbo, big front mount intercooler and SMF with semi coper clutch.
Not yet tuned for the hybrid however, just wanted to take it out and see what she feels like and if everything is working as it should before getting the tune done.

should be getting the new tune done this weekend finally and up the boost to roughly 1.7bar from the now 1.3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all been driving my 2014 diesel cruze for a while now. Been ghosting cruzetalk.com for the same amount of time and figured why not get into the community more.
Don't need the cruze as a daily driver any more, and have decided to go back into the track world 13 years later. With just the basic dpf delete and programming from fleece, the low end get go is pretty decent. I am getting the car ready for a track day at VIR in oct. It's always fun to put almost a stock commuter on track with cars that are supposed to be there..lol. I remember quite a few "commuter" cars dampening the ego of others. I have been out of the mix so long I am just going to start at the bottom of the HPDE ladder and go from there.
My intentions from this outing in october are to get a feel for where to go next with the modifications.
I think this car may be decent as it has basic get go and the parts are cheap.. I used to drive a 3000gt Vr4.. soooo. I am always pleasantly suprised at how cheap parts can be for the cruze.

I am also considering getting a second of these to turn into a dedicated track car. Due to having the experience of being a former mechanic and still a machinist wanna be, I may even go as far as serious engine work and possibly a better or twin turbo setup to keep the lag at min while giving higher top end.

If others are interested you are more that welcome to join me at VIR OCT 3-4. the event is put on by NASA. (national auto sport association-.. not the space one.) I believe there are still openings in the HPDE fields. From past experience beginners see huge increase even in their daily driving confidence and safety.

Company and advice are welcome and much appreciated.

Can you send me a stock file?
looking to getting a custom tune and my issue is i need a stock file

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Im looking for a custom tune but i need the stock file first
had a tune in the car that was locked I will look for the tuning box..it may have the stock tune on it, I know my sct for my truck keeps it and exchanges it... but I have not seen box for a long time. When I went to an actual custom tuner, he had to unlock it and get stock tune. That in turn got over written with current tune. I don't have a stock tune as he did not keep it.... but he had to get the stock tune from some where ... I think there is a data base... if some one wants to speak up that is in the know luau would probably appreciate it.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
I autocross my BMW 335d, it's a BLAST. Especially with a new Bilstein suspension.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
yep rebooter.. I just finished rebuilding my 335d track build... sort of wary of it though going from about 170hp / 290tq front wheel cruze to 350ish hp/ 450ish torque rear wheel drive... kick in the pants no pun intended... before i rebuilt with tune on and nannies off it would kick out real easy. if you don't mind me asking are you east coast mid atlantic reboot..? would love to have partners in crime on track..

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Cruze TD
45 Posts
yep rebooter.. I just finished rebuilding my 335d track build... sort of wary of it though going from about 170hp / 290tq front wheel cruze to 350ish hp/ 450ish torque rear wheel drive... kick in the pants no pun intended... before i rebuilt with tune on and nannies off it would kick out real easy. if you don't mind me asking are you east coast mid atlantic reboot..? would love to have partners in crime on track..
No, I'm in the Inland NW of Montana.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Yep suspension wakes these cars up.. I have full coil over Ksport setup. The adjustability has helped as I learn overtime what works better for tracks with higher or lower speed turns. I am getting ready to turn it over to my son for his track use as I move to the Bimmer.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts