Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2011 Cruze LTZ RS. I noticed this AM that the rack and pinion makes a clicking noise when I turn the wheel back and forth. At first I though it was a bad CV Joint. But, the noise is present regardless if the car is moving or not. I don't know what it could be.. I can feel the click when I touch the tie rod or even the control arm. This is only apparent on the left side. I had the rack and pinion replaced a few months ago under the GM factory recall.

Could I possibly have another "bad" rack?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Craig Lambert
Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The rack was replaced because it was "sticking" when driven a long distance in a straight line, like on the freeway. The ENTIRE rack was replaced, which cured the aforementioned. What I am experiencing is new as of today.

I can email a video of the noise if you want to send me your email address or email me a [email protected].. I tried to upload here. But, I receive a message stating it's too large.. It's 10 seconds long.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,528 Posts
The rack was replaced because it was "sticking" when driven a long distance in a straight line, like on the freeway. The ENTIRE rack was replaced, which cured the aforementioned. What I am experiencing is new as of today.

I can email a video of the noise if you want to send me your email address or email me a [email protected].. I tried to upload here. But, I receive a message stating it's too large.. It's 10 seconds long.

A Youtube link will work. Or send it to me and I'll throw it on my YT account. Shoot me a PM if you want to go that route.

I would suspect tie rods or something before the rack itself.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
My first thought is one of the rack mounting bushings is either loose or not properly seated.
I'd be inclined to demonstrate this for the shop that replaced the rack since they were the installers.....

On another note, how bout going to a normal size font......giant letters are a bit startling in the morning heh heh.

Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry. The default fault is a bit small for me. he, he .. Anyway, I dropped the car off this AM to the dealership who who replaced the rack in June. So, we'll see what it finds. Hopefully, I will know in a few hours... I did the front brakes on Sunday, and I know everything is tight. I don't think it's a brake issue.. The noise is present regardless if I have the brake pedal depressed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.