Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Radiator Inlet Hose Leak

477 4
Good afternoon everyone!

Just two weeks ago I replaced my radiator surge tank with the Dorman upgrade. I drive a lot as I ride share part time and go to grad school an hour away. This week I started smelling mysterious coolant in the air conditioning.

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Pipe

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part

Hand Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

I realized my coolant was running low and found the leak in the radiator inlet hose in one of the videos below. It seems that it just splatters everywhere while moving as it’s leaking 1/5 the tank on a 5 min ride.

I bought the ZZP coolant housing upgrade, and I wanted to flush the coolant system anyway. Is it easy to replace the inlet hose along with it? I should have all the tools needed and was going to flush it, replace the coolant housing with the aluminum one, then replace the hose and the upper radiator surge tank hose, and finish with the intense cleaning between all of it. Think that should fix that coolant leak as of now, need to make moves due to driving to school which is 50 mins away.

Thank you all for your advance and looking to hear some thoughts.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,159 Posts
Good see to you are taking care of it. (y)
I read about many people ignoring coolant leaks until their A/C doesn't work, THEN they all of a sudden care. :ROFLMAO:

I bought the ZZP coolant housing upgrade, and I wanted to flush the coolant system anyway
In looking at your pictures I'm really only considered about 1 of them, the 4th picture. Is that green coolant ?!? :eek:
If so, you NEED to flush the coolant system soon. If you are or have used non-Dexcool coolant you need to stop. Dexcool is great coolant, if it gets changed at proper intervals. :censored:

intense cleaning between all of it
If you do need or want to flush the system, I suggest only using DI water. I'm sure there are many posts on this topic. But the basics are, drain the coolant. Fill with DI water. Repeat, repeat. Then fill with concentrated Dexcool to get a proper 50-50(ish) mixture. Don't use any cleaners. The problem is that it is very VERY hard to get all the coolant out of the system. So you will always have a little left behind. More over, I have been doing my own car maintenance for decades and have NEVER needed to flush a vehicle with Dexcool in it. So little corrosion, so little debris, it hasn't ever been needed.

Is it easy to replace the inlet hose along with it?
I'm confident that all the repairs will be fairly easy and straight forward. But know this, you have to ensure every sealing surface is clean. The bolts torqued to proper values. And don't install seals dry, never put in dry.

go to grad school an hour away
Well professor, I'm sure glad you don't go that far to grocery shop. ;)

· Registered
2014, 1.4 T, LTZ RS
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good see to you are taking care of it. (y)
I read about many people ignoring coolant leaks until their A/C doesn't work, THEN they all of a sudden care. :ROFLMAO:

In looking at your pictures I'm really only considered about 1 of them, the 4th picture. Is that green coolant ?!? :eek:
If so, you NEED to flush the coolant system soon. If you are or have used non-Dexcool coolant you need to stop. Dexcool is great coolant, if it gets changed at proper intervals. :censored:

If you do need or want to flush the system, I suggest only using DI water. I'm sure there are many posts on this topic. But the basics are, drain the coolant. Fill with DI water. Repeat, repeat. Then fill with concentrated Dexcool to get a proper 50-50(ish) mixture. Don't use any cleaners. The problem is that it is very VERY hard to get all the coolant out of the system. So you will always have a little left behind. More over, I have been doing my own car maintenance for decades and have NEVER needed to flush a vehicle with Dexcool in it. So little corrosion, so little debris, it hasn't ever been needed.

I'm confident that all the repairs will be fairly easy and straight forward. But know this, you have to ensure every sealing surface is clean. The bolts torqued to proper values. And don't install seals dry, never put in dry.

Well professor, I'm sure glad you don't go that far to grocery shop. ;)
Thank you very much for the in-depth answer!

I most definitely take care of anything as soon as I can. I expect to have the car for a while and plan to just enjoy and DIY/project it over time. I enjoy the 1.4 platforms even with their limits. The green coolant is building on the oil cooler and most likely is grabbing some other dirt and oils. So I haven't seen green coolant from anywhere else, whenever I pick it up with a towel, also it appears to be orange as I only have ever replaced it with dexcool. The shop I took it to since I don't have a place sadly that I could replace the coolant without rushing over the next week, so it was just easier to spend the extra bit on labor to do it for me. They did say depending on how much get's taken out when they replace the coolant housing and the radiator intake line, they will do a flush on top of it.

I do plan to do the full flush if they "think it doesn't need it" or any other reason not to do it fully. Was upset I couldn't just do it myself, but time is not in my favor this week with an upcoming wedding happening.

Thank you again for the time to write out your answer, it helped ease the anxiety!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts