Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've done a bit of searching and come up with varying answers for GMs, but not specific to the Cruze.
I am going to install the KN air intake on my 1.8 and I need to disconnect the battery. I then need a security code after I hook the battery back up.
Dealers charge money to reset the radio, so I don't feel that's necessary.

How do I obtain the code? I've read it's in my "paperwork", but IDK where it would be. Is there a way for the car to display it, like when I want to see my XM Radio ID?

Please advise, I'd like to install this intake Monday.
Thanks!
Nick

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Hi
I've done a bit of searching and come up with varying answers for GMs, but not specific to the Cruze.
I am going to install the KN air intake on my 1.8 and I need to disconnect the battery. I then need a security code after I hook the battery back up.
Dealers charge money to reset the radio, so I don't feel that's necessary.

How do I obtain the code? I've read it's in my "paperwork", but IDK where it would be. Is there a way for the car to display it, like when I want to see my XM Radio ID?

Please advise, I'd like to install this intake Monday.
Thanks!
Nick
You don't need to disconnect the battery, it will be fine.

Even if you do, the entire electrical system will be fine when you reconnect the cable.

Your XM ID is on channel 0. It will still show.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to know how to get the factory code for the radio. I was using XM as an example.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
You should be able to disconnect the battery without needing the factory code for the radio. GM radios key off an embedded VIN number the first time the car is started at the factory. As long as you don't change the embedded VIN the radio will work fine. Otherwise you couldn't replace the battery except at a dealership.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I need to know how to get the factory code for the radio. I was using XM as an example.
Seriously, you don't need that. If you do, it's because your radio became shot and at that point the dealer will replace it and program for your VIN.

You really don't need to know the code. Being a well-trained tech for new technology, I'm not even sure what 'code' you are talking about.. I really wouldn't be concerned with it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, makes sense now. Glad I don't have to worry about that.

How to Reset a GM Radio | eHow.com
This is what I was talking about. I seem to recall having to get a code (not from calling an 800 number) and having to enter it into the radio after a battery pull.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have disconnected my batter cable for a half hour, and I did not need a radio code. I did on a Honda and that did need a radio code...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yes I believe the manual mentions it, or somewhere it mentions needing the code. But like you found we don't need anything like that. Confusing though!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
To my knowledge GM hasn't used radio unlock codes since the mid 1990's. Back then you had to enter a code after a battery reset inorder for the radio to be active. My last car was a 2000 Intrigue, and even that radio used a VIN transfer from the radio module to restart after a battery removal and replacement.

There should be no problems.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
Wait, so assuming I replace the original radio with another one, then it won't work?
An aftermarket radio would work. But not a OEM one - at least not until you took the car to the dealer to get reprogrammed. And reportedly, you'd need the VIN number of the car it came out of. (If it's coming from GM parts, then it should be OK.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
An aftermarket radio would work. But not a OEM one - at least not until you took the car to the dealer to get reprogrammed. And reportedly, you'd need the VIN number of the car it came out of. (If it's coming from GM parts, then it should be OK.)
Oh no, haha.
Well, I've just spent $400 on a radio from the wreckers.

I'm in Australia, so I know that the Holden dealers will be unwilling to help with reprogramming / reflashing.

Do you know what kind of people I should try and approach? i.e. small time shops etc?
I've found out through my searches that it will need a MDI / GDS thing.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
Do you know what kind of people I should try and approach? i.e. small time shops etc?
I've found out through my searches that it will need a MDI / GDS thing.
You can try and call around. It would have to be someone who does enough Chevys to justify the subscription service that's needed to make the MDI work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , I need to replace the battery of my Chevrolet Orlando 2012, do I need anti theft code for my radio? Need help.....

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,664 Posts
Hi , I need to replace the battery of my Chevrolet Orlando 2012, do I need anti theft code for my radio? Need help.....
Welcome Aboard!(y)

As this is a Cruze forum, I can only speak to the Cruze and it does not need a security code. Maybe if you post the RPO code for your radio, we may be able to match it to a Cruze/Sonic/Trax radio.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts