Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Radio Controls Stopped Working

34716 21
I bought my 2012 Cruze new in 2012, and last summer I ran into a strange issue with the radio controls in my vehicle. For a week or so the radio controls would flicker on and off, sometimes staying on for several minutes, others just briefly. After that week the controls completely stopped working (they do not illuminate at night, no response to any buttons). My air conditioning and heat still work, along with traction control and shifter. The radio itself is stuck on, but fortunately the steering wheel controls work so I can mute, adjust the volume, and switch between my presets.

I checked the fuse in the interior fuse panel, there are no burnt out fuses. I removed the bezel and the control panel and the wires were all in tact (not burned, not obviously frayed). I picked up a new radio control panel from the dealership, but it wasn't being detected either. I traced the connection in the harness back to the radio unit itself and everything was connected properly. I'm not sure what went wrong, but the dealership said it likely isn't covered under my extended warranty and quoted me a minimum of $280 for diagnostics (2 hours minimum at $140/hr shop rate). Has anyone else experienced issues with the radio controls dying out of the blue? I believe all the updates have been applied to the software, and the other controls seem to work just fine.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't say as I've heard of this happening. Since this is a 2012, I assume this is a base radio with green screen, not the color display like you'd find in the Nav units. For the base radio, the controls go though the display. So, you could try replacing the display.

But before you do that, I'd disconnect the battery for several minutes to do a full power-off reset of the radio. The radio system has power all the time and turns itself on/off according to commands.
Yes it's the base radio with the green screen. I disconnected the battery and double-checked the fuses (under the hood 30A, and the Infotainment 20A in the interior panel). Reconnected everything and the controls still weren't working. Good to know that the wiring connects through the screen, I'll try taking the dash apart again this weekend and see if I can find anything and if not I'll try and order some replacement components. At least I figured out that I can add/remove Bluetooth devices using the steering wheel alone so I was able to setup my new phone.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I disassembled my centre console today, removing the radio controls, radio display, infotainment unit, heat controls and center shifter cover. Trying to look for any possible damage or corrosion but found nothing. I did a test again with the line tester, can confirm power and ground is present for the radio controls, and the line itself for the network bus (green/blue) cable is complete. This leads me to think it's the display unit that has failed as the radio controls connect into that display unit as I have the non-navigation configuration.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guys, thanks for all of the help and information. I ended up going to a wrecking yard to find a Cruze with a matching display part number. Found one and swapped it out, the radio controls started working again. For my own curiosity I'm going to disassemble the unit to check for damage. Was very glad that I could just swap the display unit out without reprogramming or any errors.

To note I did not have blind spot detection or cameras, and I did have the special coverage done regarding the negative battery cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.