Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Could someone tell me what the 4 dots mean on the radio display View attachment 283664 ? They come and go
I don't know what the dashes mean, altho they appear to be some sort of placeholders for a display, but I'm not sure what. There's already a clock to the left, so that's not it.

Looking at my 2013 LS, that little box is empty, at least it was today when I looked. But I'll keep an eye on it for whatever else may appear there.

My guess is that it's a placeholder, with or without the dashes, for some feature that my car doesn't have, or that the factory deleted prior to production such as a display for codes used during product development.

Doug

[Edit]
<rant>
BTW, looking in the owner's manual for this was frustrating. I get that GM does a good job of having downloadable pdf versions that match exactly with what's in the glove box - that's a very important consideration in documentation.

But there's so much more to document nowadays, it would be nice to have a truly interactive online doc - with lots more color pics of all the various displays on the dash. Seems like the owner's manual only scratches the surface on lots of the various displays.
</rant>

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
FWIW, I sat in my 2013 and went thru all the radio menus and settings, but couldn't find anything that might pertain to the top center box in the pic above. I also played with the AC controls as well to no avail.

I'm back to my earlier hypothesis that the box is for some feature my radio or car does not have.

I also couldn't figure out what the circled icon is in the pic below. It didn't seem to change with any of the radio settings.

Doug

radio_display.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
I'm thinking it's for cars with the "auto" a/c. I browsed a few hundred photos and found one where it looks like a temp setting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know what the dashes mean, altho they appear to be some sort of placeholders for a display, but I'm not sure what. There's already a clock to the left, so that's not it.

Looking at my 2013 LS, that little box is empty, at least it was today when I looked. But I'll keep an eye on it for whatever else may appear there.

My guess is that it's a placeholder, with or without the dashes, for some feature that my car doesn't have, or that the factory deleted prior to production such as a display for codes used during product development.

Doug

[Edit]
<rant>
BTW, looking in the owner's manual for this was frustrating. I get that GM does a good job of having downloadable pdf versions that match exactly with what's in the glove box - that's a very important consideration in documentation.

But there's so much more to document nowadays, it would be nice to have a truly interactive online doc - with lots more color pics of all the various displays on the dash. Seems like the owner's manual only scratches the surface on lots of the various displays.
</rant>

Doug

[Edit]
<rant>

</rant>

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What is that weird character in the center of the display? It's hard to make out in the attached pic. But it may be the definitive clue we need. Can you post a clearer pic?

I notice a different symbol right of the clock display than was in my pic above.

Also, the –40°C displayed on the right makes me think your ambient temp sensor is broken or disconnected.

Doug

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks. In that linked pic, it appears show 21.5°, with the ° symbol atop the 5. (Celsius must be selected :) )

In my owner's manual, under Automatic Climate Control System, we see there is a Temperature Control knob, and under Automatic Operation, it says for the user to "Set the temperature", but it doesn't really give any more details, such as where the user can see the value he is setting.

But it makes sense that the display we're discussing is the set point for Automatic Operation. The radio display shows all sorts of HVAC settings - every time I change the fan speed, it shows the new speed, then changes back to radio display. So it's logical that empty box is for the ACC temp setting.

And it makes sense that, on my car, that box is blank because I don't have Automatic Climate Control.

We need the OP, Jcruze12, to tell us whether he has ACC or not. Automatic Climate Control has the word AUTO on the button as shown in the attached pic.

It could be that he does have ACC, but has selected some setting that causes the display to show dashes instead of a temp value. Perhaps putting it in manual mode does that.

Or maybe he has manual climate control, and there's just some little quirk that's causing those dashes to be displayed.

Inquiring minds need to know :)

Doug

automatic_climate_controls.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. In that linked pic, it appears show 21.5°, with the ° symbol atop the 5. (Celsius must be selected :) )

In my owner's manual, under Automatic Climate Control System, we see there is a Temperature Control knob, and under Automatic Operation, it says for the user to "Set the temperature", but it doesn't really give any more details, such as where the user can see the value he is setting.

But it makes sense that the display we're discussing is the set point for Automatic Operation. The radio display shows all sorts of HVAC settings - every time I change the fan speed, it shows the new speed, then changes back to radio display. So it's logical that empty box is for the ACC temp setting.

And it makes sense that, on my car, that box is blank because I don't have Automatic Climate Control.

We need the OP, Jcruze12, to tell us whether he has ACC or not. Automatic Climate Control has the word AUTO on the button as shown in the attached pic.

It could be that he does have ACC, but has selected some setting that causes the display to show dashes instead of a temp value. Perhaps putting it in manual mode does that.

Or maybe he has manual climate control, and there's just some little quirk that's causing those dashes to be displayed.

Inquiring minds need to know :)

Doug

View attachment 283682

It's 21.5 i thought it was 21 S .... im blind though

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
FWIW, I sat in my 2013 and went thru all the radio menus and settings, but couldn't find anything that might pertain to the top center box in the pic above. I also played with the AC controls as well to no avail.

I'm back to my earlier hypothesis that the box is for some feature my radio or car does not have.

I also couldn't figure out what the circled icon is in the pic below. It didn't seem to change with any of the radio settings.

Doug

. View attachment 283670
that is a CD in the drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts

Doug

. View attachment 283670

·
Registered
3 Posts
Were you able to find out what the circled icon (the plus sign) meant? It recently appeared next to my clock (time) as well. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts

Doug

. View attachment 283670

1 - 18 of 18 Posts