Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with the Radio in a 2013 Cruze. It is the version with the Touch screen and MyLink. The battery was stone dead on the car and needed to be charged. After charging, I could not let the car sit over night without having a dead battery the next day. I put a new battery in the car, thinking that the battery was dying. With the new battery installed, I am experiencing a constant current drain of a little more than 2 amps with the car off, key out. I see that when I shut the car off after running and remove the key, the Radio and MyLink screen shuts down correctly, but then after about 2 minutes, the touch screen lights back up, but only the backlight sort of a gray screen (no images). I also have no audio sound on the radio or on the turn signal, but all of the volume control buttons work correctly since the display shows increases or decreases. I have confirmed that the radio is the problem by pulling the fuse and the car can now sit for at least a day now without losing battery power. Current draw to the battery without the radio fuse is now about 100mA. Battery voltage during car running is 14.7v and after a day off is still 12.7v without the fuse. What can I do to debug this further? Will re-flashing the program fix it or does it sound like the Keypad or radio needs repair?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I suspect the radio head unit has an internal short.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Based on the no audio, I'm guessing it's a bad "silver box". It does seem strange. It's like something is waking up the radio. Is there any aftermarket devices on the car's bus? Perhaps some kind of dongle plugged into the OBDII port?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing on the ODB port, but I just recently bought the car and will dig into the dash to make sure there aren't some residual wiring for some kind of add-on left behind from the previous owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might try to separate the Keypad from the Radio unit (Silver box) and see if the problem goes away. Maybe there is a stuck key on the keypad that is trying to keep the radio active.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I might try to separate the Keypad from the Radio unit (Silver box) and see if the problem goes away. Maybe there is a stuck key on the keypad that is trying to keep the radio active.
Maybe, but I don't think that would explain the lack of sound.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,113 Posts
thanks for the idea. I'll get into the dash and check

Try watching this if you have not went into it before.

But just so you know, I was asking if you had went in there, but I guess it is possible the previous owner did.

Oh and Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Currently looking at Chiltons for a 2013 Cruze. Early production cruzes seem to have a battery saver relay which also powers the radio circuit? Text Circuit component Diagram Technical drawing Passive circuit component

The battery saver relay is the middle relay in the interior fuse box.

From left to right.. First one is the trunk unlock relay, the second is this battery saver relay, and the third on on the right is retained accessory power relay.. (RAP)

RAP remains powered for up to 5 minutes or something like that after the key is off, but the doors are not opened. The power outlets are powered via Key in the run position and RAP. With the engine off, RAP retains power for a given time, or until the drivers door is opened.

Not sure if Radio is controlled via the RAP relay. I don't think so according to the print.

Good luck finding where the amps are going.. I think you'll find it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Currently looking at Chiltons for a 2013 Cruze. Early production cruzes seem to have a battery saver relay which also powers the radio circuit? View attachment 219274

DTC B147E or B147F
DTC B147E or B147F

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors

DTC B147E

Battery Saver Relay Set Secondary Circuit

DTC B147F

Battery Saver Relay Reset Secondary Circuit

For symptom byte information refer to Symptom Byte List.

Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit Short to Ground Open/High Resistance Short to Voltage Signal Performance
F24DA (BCM 2) Fuse B+

B147F 01, B147F 04

B147F 01, B147F 04

Set Relay Coil Control

B147E 02

B147E 04

B147E 01

Reset Relay Coil Control

B147F 02

B147F 04

B147F 01

Circuit/System Description

The battery saver mode (transport mode) reduces the parasitic load of some modules during overseas shipment or during vehicle storage conditions. This improves the drain time on the battery (up to 70 days without the battery going dead). When the vehicle is in transport/storage, some features may have reduced functionality while in the battery saver mode (transport mode), such as disabling the keyless entry or content theft features.

The battery saver mode (transport mode) incorporates a latching relay that when enabled disconnects some modules from their ignition power or memory power sources. Battery saver mode (transport mode) is initiated by turning on the hazard flashers and then turning the ignition key into the crank position or pushing the push button start switch (if equipped) for greater than 15 s. The mode is disengaged by repeating the previous process. After battery saver mode (transport mode) has been enabled, the body control module (BCM) may not send the command to unlatch the relay until after the ignition has been switched to the off position for up to 1 min. In battery saver mode (transport mode) the BCM will send a command to latch the relay for operation of those modules while the ignition is in the run position and then again unlatching the relay after the ignition is turned off. The mode is disengaged by repeating the previous process causing the relay to latch in the other direction. The driver information center (if equipped) will display Transport Mode is On when the transport mode is enabled and Transport Mode is Off when the transport mode is disabled. For vehicles not equipped with a DIC, the battery indicator light will constantly flash on the instrument cluster when transport mode is enabled. Once the vehicle is running and the hazard flashers are on, turning the ignition key into the crank position or pushing the push button start switch (if equipped) for greater than 15 s will latch the relay in the other direction. This feature can be used as many times as necessary if the vehicle is to be stored for an extended period of time.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The system voltage is between 9–16 V.

The DTC can only run when the output is activated.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The BCM detects a short to ground in the battery saver relay set/reset circuits.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The module output driver will be shut down and not supply voltage to the battery saver relay set/reset circuits.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The current DTC will clear when the module request for the output is removed or the malfunction is no longer present.

A history DTC clears when the module ignition cycle counter reaches the reset threshold of 50, without a repeat of the malfunction.

Reference Information

Schematic Reference

Body Control System Schematics

Power Distribution Schematics

Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation

Power Mode Description and Operation

Electrical Information Reference

Circuit Testing

Connector Repairs

Relay Replacement (Attached to Wire Harness) | Relay Replacement (Within an Electrical Center)

Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

Wiring Repairs

Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

Enable battery saver mode (transport mode) in the vehicle.

Verify the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1 clicks open and closed when cycling the ignition between ON and OFF.

If the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1 does not click open and closed

Refer to Circuit/System Testing.

If the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1 clicks open and closed

All OK.

Circuit/System Testing

Ignition OFF, disconnect the X1 harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module, ignition ON.

Verify a test lamp illuminates between the B+ circuit terminal 4 and ground.

If the test lamp does not illuminate and the circuit fuse is good

Ignition OFF, remove the test lamp.

Test for less than 2 Ω in the B+ circuit end to end.

If 2 Ω or greater, repair the open/high resistance in the circuit.

If less than 2 Ω, verify the fuse is not open and there is voltage at the fuse.

If the test lamp does not illuminate and the circuit fuse is open

Test for infinite resistance between the B+ circuit and ground.

If less than infinite resistance, repair the short to ground on the circuit.

If infinite resistance, replace the K9 Body Control Module

If the test lamp illuminates

Connect the X1 harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module.

Ignition OFF and all vehicle systems OFF, disconnect the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1. It may take up to 2 min for all vehicle systems to power down.

Test for less than 10 Ω between the ground circuit terminal 7 and ground.

If 10 Ω or greater

Ignition OFF.

Test for less than 2 Ω in the ground circuit end to end.

If less than 2 Ω, repair the open/high resistance in the ground connection.

If less than 10 Ω

Ignition ON.

Verify a test lamp illuminates between the B+ circuit terminal 10 and ground.

If the test lamp does not illuminate

Replace the X51A Fuse Block - Instrument Panel.

Enable battery saver mode (transport mode).

Ignition OFF.

Connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 6 and ground.

Verify the test lamp momentarily flashes ON and OFF when turning the ignition ON.

If the test lamp is always OFF

Ignition OFF, remove the test lamp, disconnect the harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module.

Test for infinite resistance between the control circuit and ground.

If infinite resistance

Test for less than 2 Ω  in the control circuit end to end.

If 2 Ω  or greater, repair the open/high resistance in the circuit.

If less than 2 Ω , replace the K9 Body Control Module.

If the test lamp is always ON

Ignition OFF, remove the test lamp, disconnect the harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module, ignition ON.

Test for less than 1 V between the control circuit and ground.

If 1 V or greater, repair the short to voltage on the circuit.

If less than 1 V, replace the K9 Body Control Module.

If the test lamp turns ON and OFF

Connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 8 and ground.

Verify the test lamp momentarily flashes ON and OFF after turning the ignition OFF.

NOTE
Note

It may take up to 1 min after the ignition is switched OFF and retained accessory power is disabled before the K9 Body Control Module sends a command to unlatch the relay.

Ignition OFF, remove the test lamp, disconnect the harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module.

If infinite resistance

Ignition OFF, remove the test lamp, disconnect the harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module, ignition ON.

Verify that a test lamp does not illuminate between the ignition circuit terminal 9 and ground.

Repair the short to voltage on the ignition circuit

Ignition ON, connect a 40 A fused jumper wire between the B+ circuit terminal 10 and the ignition circuit terminal 9.

Verify device is activated.

If the device does not activate

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the device.

Test for infinite resistance between the ignition circuit and ground.

If infinite resistance

Test for less than 2 Ω in the ignition circuit end to end.

If less than 2 Ω, replace the device.

If the device activates

Test or replace the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1.

Component Testing

Relay Test
Ignition OFF, disconnect the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1.

Test for 70–150 Ω between terminals the following terminals.

1 and 4

2 and 4

If less than 70 or greater than 150 Ω

Replace the relay.

If between 70–150 Ω

Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between relay terminal 2 and 12 V. Install a jumper wire between relay terminal 4 and ground.

Test for infinite resistance between the following terminals:

3 and 2

3 and 1

3 and 4

3 and 5

2 and 5

1 and 5

If less than infinite resistance

Replace the relay.

If infinite resistance

Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between relay terminal 1 and 12 V. Install a jumper wire between relay terminal 4 and ground.

Test for less than 5.0 Ω between terminals 3 and 5.

If 5.0 Ω or greater

Replace the relay.

If less than 5.0 Ω

All OK

Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the repair.

Control Module References for body control module replacement, programming and setup

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Currently looking at Chiltons for a 2013 Cruze. Early production cruzes seem to have a battery saver relay which also powers the radio circuit? I wonder if you can locate the 7.5A fuse and the 20 amp fuse and see which one has the amp draw. 2 amps is a lot.It looks like the keypad is a sparate circuit from the radio itself. View attachment 219274

I believe the battery saver relay is part of the fuse box in the car, but I can't seem to find the details of it. Below is a partial description of the circuit. I would think that relay would normally be powered, unless the car would be placed into storage mode. So maybe it's not the relay.
DTC B147E or B147F
DTC B147E or B147F

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors

DTC B147E

Battery Saver Relay Set Secondary Circuit

DTC B147F

Battery Saver Relay Reset Secondary Circuit

For symptom byte information refer to Symptom Byte List.

Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit Short to Ground Open/High Resistance Short to Voltage Signal Performance
F24DA (BCM 2) Fuse B+

B147F 01, B147F 04

B147F 01, B147F 04

Set Relay Coil Control

B147E 02

B147E 04

B147E 01

Reset Relay Coil Control

B147F 02

B147F 04

B147F 01

Circuit/System Description

The battery saver mode (transport mode) reduces the parasitic load of some modules during overseas shipment or during vehicle storage conditions. This improves the drain time on the battery (up to 70 days without the battery going dead). When the vehicle is in transport/storage, some features may have reduced functionality while in the battery saver mode (transport mode), such as disabling the keyless entry or content theft features.

The battery saver mode (transport mode) incorporates a latching relay that when enabled disconnects some modules from their ignition power or memory power sources. Battery saver mode (transport mode) is initiated by turning on the hazard flashers and then turning the ignition key into the crank position or pushing the push button start switch (if equipped) for greater than 15 s. The mode is disengaged by repeating the previous process. After battery saver mode (transport mode) has been enabled, the body control module (BCM) may not send the command to unlatch the relay until after the ignition has been switched to the off position for up to 1 min. In battery saver mode (transport mode) the BCM will send a command to latch the relay for operation of those modules while the ignition is in the run position and then again unlatching the relay after the ignition is turned off. The mode is disengaged by repeating the previous process causing the relay to latch in the other direction. The driver information center (if equipped) will display Transport Mode is On when the transport mode is enabled and Transport Mode is Off when the transport mode is disabled. For vehicles not equipped with a DIC, the battery indicator light will constantly flash on the instrument cluster when transport mode is enabled. Once the vehicle is running and the hazard flashers are on, turning the ignition key into the crank position or pushing the push button start switch (if equipped) for greater than 15 s will latch the relay in the other direction. This feature can be used as many times as necessary if the vehicle is to be stored for an extended period of time.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The system voltage is between 9–16 V.

The DTC can only run when the output is activated.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The BCM detects a short to ground in the battery saver relay set/reset circuits.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The module output driver will be shut down and not supply voltage to the battery saver relay set/reset circuits.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The current DTC will clear when the module request for the output is removed or the malfunction is no longer present.

A history DTC clears when the module ignition cycle counter reaches the reset threshold of 50, without a repeat of the malfunction.

Reference Information

Schematic Reference

Body Control System Schematics

Power Distribution Schematics

Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation

Power Mode Description and Operation

Electrical Information Reference

Circuit Testing

Connector Repairs

Relay Replacement (Attached to Wire Harness) | Relay Replacement (Within an Electrical Center)

Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

Wiring Repairs

Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

Enable battery saver mode (transport mode) in the vehicle.

Verify the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1 clicks open and closed when cycling the ignition between ON and OFF.

If the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1 does not click open and closed

Refer to Circuit/System Testing.

If the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1 clicks open and closed

All OK.

Circuit/System Testing

Ignition OFF, disconnect the X1 harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module, ignition ON.

Verify a test lamp illuminates between the B+ circuit terminal 4 and ground.

If the test lamp does not illuminate and the circuit fuse is good

Test for less than 2 Ω in the B+ circuit end to end.

If less than 2 Ω, verify the fuse is not open and there is voltage at the fuse.

If the test lamp does not illuminate and the circuit fuse is open

Test for infinite resistance between the B+ circuit and ground.

If infinite resistance, replace the K9 Body Control Module

Connect the X1 harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module.

Ignition OFF and all vehicle systems OFF, disconnect the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1. It may take up to 2 min for all vehicle systems to power down.

Test for less than 10 Ω between the ground circuit terminal 7 and ground.

If 10 Ω or greater

Ignition OFF.

Test for less than 2 Ω in the ground circuit end to end.

If less than 2 Ω, repair the open/high resistance in the ground connection.

If less than 10 Ω

Ignition ON.

Verify a test lamp illuminates between the B+ circuit terminal 10 and ground.

Replace the X51A Fuse Block - Instrument Panel.

Enable battery saver mode (transport mode).

Ignition OFF.

Connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 6 and ground.

Verify the test lamp momentarily flashes ON and OFF when turning the ignition ON.

If infinite resistance

Connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 8 and ground.

Verify the test lamp momentarily flashes ON and OFF after turning the ignition OFF.

NOTE
Note

It may take up to 1 min after the ignition is switched OFF and retained accessory power is disabled before the K9 Body Control Module sends a command to unlatch the relay.

If infinite resistance

Verify that a test lamp does not illuminate between the ignition circuit terminal 9 and ground.

Repair the short to voltage on the ignition circuit

Ignition ON, connect a 40 A fused jumper wire between the B+ circuit terminal 10 and the ignition circuit terminal 9.

Verify device is activated.

If the device does not activate

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the device.

Test for infinite resistance between the ignition circuit and ground.

If infinite resistance

Test for less than 2 Ω in the ignition circuit end to end.

If less than 2 Ω, replace the device.

If the device activates

Test or replace the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1.

Component Testing

Relay Test
Ignition OFF, disconnect the KR104A Battery Saver Relay 1.

Test for 70–150 Ω between terminals the following terminals.

1 and 4

2 and 4

If less than 70 or greater than 150 Ω

Replace the relay.

If between 70–150 Ω

Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between relay terminal 2 and 12 V. Install a jumper wire between relay terminal 4 and ground.

Test for infinite resistance between the following terminals:

3 and 2

3 and 1

3 and 4

3 and 5

2 and 5

1 and 5

If less than infinite resistance

Replace the relay.

If infinite resistance

Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between relay terminal 1 and 12 V. Install a jumper wire between relay terminal 4 and ground.

Test for less than 5.0 Ω between terminals 3 and 5.

If 5.0 Ω or greater

Replace the relay.

If less than 5.0 Ω

All OK

Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the repair.

Control Module References for body control module replacement, programming and setup

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
That's interesting. According to my 2013 Helm manual, the radio should be powered from the battery saver relay. Which should keep the radio from being able to run the battery flat. But according to your diagram, the later production models have the radio running direct - so the battery saver can't save the battery from the radio.

Interesting - but not the source of your problem.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
That's not the right diagram for your car. That's for the base/monochrome screen radio.

However, I'd check the fuses. I noticed that the fuse for the radio and the display screen are different. Perhaps the fuse for the silver box is blown and the screen is going rogue (powering up on it's own).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts