Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! I am a new member who signed up hoping that someone my have an answer/advice for a problem I am having with my car.

I am having an issue with the radio in my 2013 Cruze Eco, and have hit a troubleshooting roadblock. I haven't seen anything describing a problem quite like mine, and have tried many suggetions that I've seen online to no avail, so I was hoping for some feedback/advice going forward:

Summary: Multi-meter shows power to radio, and radio will accept a CD, but cannot eject without removing then replacing power to car. No activity on 7" touchscreen monitor, no response/light on control panel.

The vehicle: 2013 Chevy Cruze Eco, 6 speed manual, 7" touchscreen model radio, Option code UFU

Previous attempts to fix system: remove power to car in an attempt to restart/recycle mylink system; checking all fuses in car; replacement of original radio

Backstory: About 1 to 1.5 years ago, the radio in my car stopped operating. There are no blown fuses. Originally, the lights on the control panel buttons were illuminating appropriately, but were not responsive when pressed, and the MyLink touchscreen did not turn on (no flickering/attempt). The radio would accept a CD, but not spit it out. I approached Chevy about the issue, but as the car was just outside of the 3/36,000 warranty, they were hesitant to do anything. I spoke with the service representative at the dealer during an unrelated parts recall service (at this point, don't remember what it was), who said that his technician tested the radio, and thought that it was a problem with the unit (not sure if he was being truthful about testing the radio. His recomendation was just to go to best buy.). The car sat for the past year in a garage, with the battery disconnected, while I was on a military deployment. Upon returning, I spoke with an individual at a body shop, who again expressed hesitancy in working on the radio, and also advised that I "just go to best buy." The car has no modifications except for LED license plate bulbs that were put in by me after one of the stock license plate bulbs burned out. At this point, there appears to be no more illumination in the control panel. The radio will still accept, but not eject, a CD that is placed in the slot.

Proceeding on the "bad radio" hypothesis, I removed the radio and ordered the same model radio from a seller off of EBay. There is no change in the situation: The radio will still accept, but not spit out a CD, the screen is still entirely unresponsive, and there is no change to the situation with the control panel.

It may go without saying, but I am looking to restore the car to as close to it's original form, ideally with a working stock radio, without expending too much money. I will be attempting to reach out to the Ebay seller to see if it is possible to return the radio for a refund. At this time, I am not looking to "guess and check." I would like to retain the stock functions of the car (bluetooth, backup camera, etc.). I am not the best troubleshooter out there, but my thought was that if both the touchscreen and the controls arent working, the common element of the radio would likely be the culprit

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on avenues to pursue for rectifying this?

Thank you in advance!

-Karl

·
Registered
21 Posts
My "Infotainment Center" / radio would cycle on and off driving down the road. Took it to the dealer and it was fine. They paid someone to drive car an hour, and it performed perfectly. I used my cell camera (movie mode) to video radio shutting on and off rebooting as I went down the road. Then GM fixed. Now, the center area of my dash went out yesterday. Taking to dealer tonight for more $$$$$$$$. Do not know about the reliability of electronics.

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
That's a strange one. I've not heard of that happening before. I haven't played with the radio enough to know what it does if it can't talk to the car (perhaps as the result of a wiring issue). So, my best wild guess would be to replace the buttons. But first, I'd try disconnecting the button panel and see what it does. If you suddenly get "life", then that strengthens the suggestion that the buttons are bad. You could try the same with disconnecting the display and see if the buttons start to work (after waiting for the unit to boot up).

Question: With the car running, do you get chimes and click? (such as when turning on the hazard lights?) If so, then the radio is talking to the car as the radio functions like a sound card for the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than the radio, I have not seen any indication of anything being wrong; relays click, chimes chime, etc.

I bought the car new in 2013. This is, effectively, the first "modern" car I've ever owned, and am not sure how it is wired. While I would like to fix the issue, first and foremost, I also want to make sure that I do not cause any more damage to the car.

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
I bought the car new in 2013. This is, effectively, the first "modern" car I've ever owned, and am not sure how it is wired. While I would like to fix the issue, first and foremost, I also want to make sure that I do not cause any more damage to the car.
If you're into computers, you'll feel at home after awhile. Most of the communication with the radio is done over the car's bus. I highly doubt you'll break anything by trying to power up stuff with things disconnected.

As I'm sure you've noticed, the "silver box" (the brains), the buttons and the screen are separate things. Since you've already replaced the box, it tends to point to something else confusing it. You might verify that it is getting good power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone knows, how does the radio "boot up?" Does it do a "system check" of the related components, and only initiate if everything checks out (IE, bad control panel, no action from any related component)?

While I know this is in a completely different direction, has anyone here had any luck with the "direct replacement" pieces I've seen online out of China? They seem to go into the same space as the radio, and some even seem to come with large, tesla-like touch screens. Do they plug right into the car's existing components for backup camera, bluetooth, and steering wheel controls? Has anyone had good/bad results with them? Some of them seem like they could be had for not much more than the complete set of OEM radio pieces, and if they can plug right into existing hardware, a part of me wonders if these could serve as a sufficient replacement.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The components are actually self-contained. I've started mine up during experimentation without the screen or controls attached and it worked fine. Well, fine aside from not seeing anything on the display and only being able to control volume/mute, source and presets/tracks using my steering wheel controls.

Most of the so called "direct replacements" are Chinese knock off radios running Android. There is one version that is Windows CE based, which in my opinion might be a lot more reliable to use. But you would still be getting a chinese clone. From what I have seen, all Tesla style radios being offered online are actually Android tablets either running outdated versions or custom built newer versions which may or may not receive updates from the seller. They are most likely chinese knock offs also.

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
StLouisCPhT has the most in-depth knowledge of any of the regular members that I know of. Some of the finer details are not known.

But I find it unlikely that two radios would have the same issue. So, something external is likely causing problems.

But one quick question: do you have anything plugged into the diagnostics OBD port? There's always a possibility that it's throwing confusing messages on the bus.

I'm not sure how well these imports will work. The Cruze is a "global" car and built in a few different factories around the world. But the ones for US/Canada has a different MyLink from other models.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Well your not alone with the issues of your stereo. Powering off was a first thing we had happen and continued to happen. Then we started loosing info off the touch screen. Those who can see the top right corner the outside temp box area is present but no temp reading. Then we would loose the number for 1 or more stations . But only the numbers the box was always present. Then we started loosing many stations the temp all at the same time.
Besides the unit plowing off at any time.

We took the Cruze in for tranny line replacement due to leaks. That day when we picked it up from the dealer. Our head unit now will not power on nothing. Yes fuzes have been replace and the recall on the ground strap has been done. We had the same dealer look at this when we had the first issue. The dealer pointed to a new head unit at 1800.00 CND plus taxes and labour or possibly the fuze box needs replacement at 2200.00 CND with no one saying 1 or the other would fix it So we put it off as I had a work injury.
Well now after several months I am able to get this going. To get replaced.
I am not sure of even ordering a new head unit to find out that is not the issue.
Has anyone found a issue. I took the head unit , display and touch panel out and have been driving the car with nothing for tunes and in a 2hr commute on some days it makes for a long trip to work.
I also had 3 stereo shops look at the system and no one will even attempt to install even a after market system without doing a rewire. And I will not even tell you the costs we were told. They were nuts

Anyone have the issues that seams to be not only my car. And did you find a fix

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well now 4 yrs with these issues. But over 2 yrs with nothing for the radio screen all dead. Have power to them fuzes are ok.
I see a few new ytube videos with people in the same position of no touch screen nothing.

Anyone find a fix or repair.

·
Super Moderator
7,228 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok I see this is no real fix rather a complete rewire install.
Yet on the thread some have done this installation and still had the same issues. Even after all that work.
Having no power to the Pioneer 9speaker system with is 100 percent useless.

Still no solution for the cruze audio system complete failure. Yet several new ytube videos showing up all the time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ok I see this is no real fix rather a complete rewire install.
Yet on the thread some have done this installation and still had the same issues. Even after all that work.
Having no power to the Pioneer 9speaker system with is 100 percent useless.

Still no solution for the cruze audio system complete failure. Yet several new ytube videos showing up all the time.
Radio installs do not need a complete rewire... EVER. Aftermarket radios do need a adapter harness that allows them to work with the original vehicle wiring. Even models with the Pioneer audio upgrade work with aftermarket radios using the iDatalink Maestro adapter. In fact, the Maestro is wired by default for Cruzes with the Pioneer upgrade and needs to be modified for the non-pioneer models.

That being said, if you were told by install shops that you needed a complete rewire job then 2 things come to mind: either they found actual physical damage to the wiring which needs to be addressed to restore even the OEM system to life or you have misunderstood what they were telling you was required. I would go back to them and have them show you in your vehicle exactly what they would need to do. Then you will know for certain if there is actual damage or not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Radio installs do not need a complete rewire... EVER. Aftermarket radios do need a adapter harness that allows them to work with the original vehicle wiring. Even models with the Pioneer audio upgrade work with aftermarket radios using the iDatalink Maestro adapter. In fact, the Maestro is wired by default for Cruzes with the Pioneer upgrade and needs to be modified for the non-pioneer models.

That being said, if you were told by install shops that you needed a complete rewire job then 2 things come to mind: either they found actual physical damage to the wiring which needs to be addressed to restore even the OEM system to life or you have misunderstood what they were telling you was required. I would go back to them and have them show you in your vehicle exactly what they would need to do. Then you will know for certain if there is actual damage or not.
Thanks
No 2 shops quote was from the fest they never even looked at it.
I have had the stereo out 3 times trying different things to see if I can get it working.
As of now still touch screen and system for 9speaker system from Pioneer factory is dead nothing

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks
No 2 shops quote was from the fest they never even looked at it.
I have had the stereo out 3 times trying different things to see if I can get it working.
As of now still touch screen and system for 9speaker system from Pioneer factory is dead nothing
I just re-read your posts in addition to this one. If both your screen and amplifier are not functioning, the answer is that your head unit has failed. It sends a wake up signal to both the touchscreen AND amplifier from pin 43 of the main wiring harness.

Get a used one from ebay (most sellers there have 30 day warranties) and change the programmed vin number using the links given to you by blasirl.

Or get a new aftermarket radio and an iDatalink Maestro adapter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
#PI1149A: Intermittent Radio Blank Display With or Without Audio and MOST BUS Diagnostic Aid - (Nov 28, 2017)

Subject: Intermittent Radio Blank Display With or Without Audio and MOST BUS Diagnostic Aid
Models: 2013 Cadillac Passenger Cars
2014-2018 All GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
Equipped with Radio RPOs IO3, IO4, IO5, IO6, RAO, UA3, or UY4
Attention: This PI also applies to any of the above models that may be Export from North America vehicles.

This PI has been revised to update Model Years, Models and add special tool information under Display is blank and no audio section. Please discard PI1149.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that the radio has No Display or No Audio, and No Radio Control from radio or steering wheel controls.
Display is blank and no audio — MOST bus down
  • Are U0028 or U0029 DTCs stored in history?
  • If these codes are stored in either the radio or the HMI module, check for a Surrogate MOST Master Node Upstream Position in the radio.
  • Follow published diagnostics for the related DTCs.
  • NOTE: If the bus condition happens while driving (current ignition cycle), the clock and the presets will disappear, but there will be a display.
  • There will be a blank display with no audio if the bus condition exists at startup.
  • Root cause — It can be either a ECU/wiring/connector bringing the MOST bus down.
  • You can eliminate a module from the bus. Simply use essential tool EL-51578 to bypass the module. This may help identify if it is a faulty module causing the issue. Depending on the ECU bypassed, some infotainment functionality will be lost due to the missing MOST ECU.
Display is Blank, but Audio is Heard
The bus is not down if the clock is displayed and you can hear an audio.

• Is it at the start of the ignition cycle?
    • If yes, use a flashlight to shine on the display to see if icons can been seen — HMI software update may correct issue.
    • If no, check all connectors/pins and wiring to the ICS and if all checks are good, then continue to next line.
  • Is there any response from the touchscreen (presets at the bottom of the screen, source, haptic feedback (Cadillac only) ?
    • If there is no response from the touchscreen, check LIN BUS 5 between the ICS and the HMI module.
    • If there is response, inspect the USB video cable connections at the ICS and HMI module and verify it is fully seated. If no issues are found, make a USB test cable from the USB test kit EL-50334–50 and install it from the ICS to the HMI module. If the concern is not corrected, install a known good ICS.
  • If the concern is not corrected, contact General Motors Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for HMI module authorization.
Important Information to Note
The Infotainment modules have 3 main communication busses. Low and High speed GMLAN, MOST, and LIN communication.

The MOST bus consists of a “ring” of modules on the infotainment bus. They can include the Radio (Tuner), Human Machine Interface (NAV, Bluetooth®, USB), Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), Amplifier (optional), and CD/DVD Media Disc Players (optional), Touchpad (optional). The radio/HVAC control (ICS) are not part of the MOST bus.

Each module has a GMLAN communication bus that will allow communication with the scan tool HMI is on High speed, all other Infotainment modules are on Low speed (except CD Media Disk Player).

LIN buses are used between the controls and the module for communication. The radio controls, steering wheel controls, and HVAC controls all communicate on LIN. These LIN modules also have low speed GMLAN capabilities for diagnostic purposes ONLY.

Note: The scan tool does NOT communicate on the LIN or MOST bus.

Based on the symptoms, you can isolate what communication bus has a concern.

1. Check entire vehicle for codes. If any module specific communication codes set, diagnose those first. (Example U0184 Loss of communication with radio, U0186 loss of communication with amplifier.) Verify GMLAN communication on all MOST bus ECU’s first (except CD player), then power(s), ground(s), data line(s), and connections to the suspect module prior to replacing. Ignore U0028 or U0029 if a module specific communication code is set.
  2. If no module specific codes are set, check to see if the radio set U0028. (Refer to SI U0028 information for in depth diagnostics on this code) The radio is the "master" of the MOST bus. The radio will set a "surrogate most master node upstream position" when there is a concern on the MOST bus. NOTE: For 2013 Cadillac and 2014 Impala, the radio may need to be SPS programmed if the radio data display does not list the parameter "surrogate most master node upstream position.” A calibration change was made to have this parameter always shown instead of only when a concern was present. This was to aid in diagnosing intermittent concerns. If you do not see this parameter, the radio (tuner) will need to be SPS programmed with the latest calibrations.
Keep in mind these important hints when diagnosing this Infotainment system:

• How to rule out the HMI:
    • If Push-To-Talk button and USB (Flash drive with charge indicator) operate, it is most likely not HMI.
  • How to rule out the tuner:
    • If audio is heard and the buttons are illuminated, it is most likely not the tuner. The audio symptoms may be different if the Tuner has internal Amp.
  • How to rule out the ICS:
    • If a known good ICS does not correct the concern.
  • How to rule out the (optional) amp:
    • If chime is not heard, suspect an issue at the Amp. If the volume bar does not display on the ICS or IPC, suspect the amp.
  • How to rule out the (optional) CD player:
    • Bypass the MOST bus at the CD player.
  • How to rule out the IPC:
    • If all SWC operate, it is most likely not the IPC.
TSB I found

1 - 19 of 19 Posts