Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2015 Chevy Cruze LT. I have the ugly green letter display (NON touch). Has anyone just bought the replacement GPS (Touchscreen) display and switch it out, or do i have to buy the whole kit at GM Parts replacement site with part number GENUINE GM PARTS DISPLAY SYSTEM - 2015 CHEVROLET CRUZE (22851302)

Thanks in advance, could not find a thread about this.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, I will say one good thing about that "ugly" green screen, when the sun sets or rises and driving away from it, can still read it, LCD screens wash out. But then I tend to be more practical than artistic.

Never tried factory GPS in the Cruze, have in other vehicles, one thing that all have in common is 200 bucks for a map update, had my Garmin for 52 months now, with $10,400.00 worth of free map updates. Other factory GPS units, can't do a thing with them unless you pull over and put the vehicle in park. Not even the co-pilot.

Other aftermarket radios with GPS, or not, have to really question the seller for compatibility. Not just a radio, but anti-thief and a lot of other vehicle programming features. Also a part of the computer data link system. Think I would trust Crutchfield, with a full money back guarantee if it doesn't work. Called them several times with other vehicles, just said, stick with the stock radio. Like honesty.

Ha, since I had some warranty issues with my Cruze and was suggested by a couple of dealers to trade it in for a new one, May tell you to do the same thing to get one with My Link in it.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm pretty sure everything about the radio is different. You might consider going 3rd party with the proper harness to try and retain as much function as you can. I don't think anyone has successfully done a OEM radio upgrade.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, another solution is if you don't like something about a vehicle, don't buy it. Didn't care for the rear disc calipers that came with my 2012 2LT, because I had problems with GM rear disc calipers since 1978. But everything else was okay so purchased it anyway.

Guess what, I am having problems with my rear disc calipers on my 2012, GM never knew how to properly design a rear disc caliper and still don't. But living with it with constant maintenance.

Something I have not learned about the Cruze radio is for years GM had each one coded to prevent thief, like who in the heck would want to swipe an OE radio. If you did replace the radio, had to go to your dealer and pay $$$ to have it properly encoded or it wouldn't work at all.

·
Registered
689 Posts
While I'm sure some here will say BS and don't bother, I've had success with aftermarket units in my 2009 Jetta TDI and 2012 Cruze. These units are plug and play and maintain all steering wheel controls.

Remember that these are from China so there is a risk with any problems and returning them would be on your dime.

cruze gps 2015 | eBay

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
While I'm sure some here will say BS and don't bother, I've had success with aftermarket units in my 2009 Jetta TDI and 2012 Cruze. These units are plug and play and maintain all steering wheel controls.

Remember that these are from China so there is a risk with any problems and returning them would be on your dime.

cruze gps 2015 | eBay
Interesting, more than likely the same manufacturers that make the OE radio, GM sure doesn't make them. And less than half the price a dealer would charge. What about your GPS maps? Can you get updates or even different maps?

After 36 short months, that radio is yours to repair. And even an expert can't repair these things, use many specialized components that are not even available.

And these are not radios at all, computers that require firmware, with most of the electronic junk we buy, can download firmware for free, well in my case, not from LG, screw you LG. Can you get firmware for these radios?

Sure getting screwed royally with our vehicles, can only get this from a dealer, and they sure don't do this for free.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts

Ha, I see they are selling that same exact Metra power antenna I got a lot cheaper locally, had a 20% discount coupon, and keep on asking for a better price for my Supra.

But didn't have to buy it after all, old antenna just needed a new nylon cord. Darn, if I looked through my junk had two brand new power antenna masts with cord factory sealed in my junk pile. Mast is no good to me, but that nylon cord sure is, not for a Toyota, but for a Ford. Just have to cut it off and install it in my Supra mast.

I didn't see any radios listed. Somewhere around here, have a manual with complete circuit diagrams and parts lists for repairing 40's and 50's year radios. But this was the last time manuals like this were published. Those self seeking tuning radios that Caddy and Buick used were quite the radios, loaded with motors and tunable inductors.

All these goodies were replaced with an 89 cent microcontroller and a very inexpensive phase locked loop chip, but you sure can't tell for what they charge for these. Those expensive tuning dials were replaced by an LCD that is a printing press operation that can be knocked out for a few cents each.

Class D power amplifiers don't even need a large heat sink.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Interesting, more than likely the same manufacturers that make the OE radio, GM sure doesn't make them. And less than half the price a dealer would charge. What about your GPS maps? Can you get updates or even different maps?

After 36 short months, that radio is yours to repair. And even an expert can't repair these things, use many specialized components that are not even available.

And these are not radios at all, computers that require firmware, with most of the electronic junk we buy, can download firmware for free, well in my case, not from LG, screw you LG. Can you get firmware for these radios?

Sure getting screwed royally with our vehicles, can only get this from a dealer, and they sure don't do this for free.
The radio/gps system I've had in my cruze has been working 99.8% worry free. For some reason not the GPS, but the radio screen will freeze and the time/radio station won't change on the screen, but the radio will change when I hit the station button. Once I turn the car off and the system reboots all is well again.

The maps I use are IGO8 which has been around for years and you can download them from "certain sites" for free. Plus IGO8 can be customized ie: instead of a pointer, you can use a car or even other special icons :ie USS Enterprise.

The manufacturer of these units usually send you a map of your country, but it's not fully loaded with POI's or other features. You can even set it where the headlights on the car are on...very cool.

Just google/bing IGO8 and be amazed of the quality of the software.

Any questions please ask.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Did find

iGO Navigation - Global Navigation Software

Download GPS maps for free, got bounced all over the internet, and keyed my kid's 2010 Dodge Nitro with factory GPS. Wasn't exactly free, $64.95, but a heck of a lot cheaper than what his dealer wants, more like 200 bucks.

Feel I need more practice in finding stuff for free on the internet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts