Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

401 - 420 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since there are so many people having this problem, and the dealers can't seem to figure out a resolution, then you might want THIS information on recalls:

SINCE THIS INVOLVES THE POWER STEERING GOING OUT, THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE THAT CHEVROLET NEEDS TO ADDRESS IMMEDIATELY BEFORE THERE ARE DEATHS CAUSED.

When is a recall necessary?

• When a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment (including tires) does not comply with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.
  • When there is a safety-related defect in the vehicle or equipment.
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards set minimum performance requirements for those parts of the vehicle that most affect its safe operation (brakes, tires, lighting) or that protect drivers and passengers from death or serious injury in the event of a crash (air bags, safety belts, child restraints, energy absorbing steering columns, motorcycle helmets). These Federal Standards are applicable to all vehicles and vehicle-related equipment manufactured or imported for sale in the United States (including U.S. territories) and certified for use on public roads and highways.​
What Is a safety-related defect?

The United States Code for Motor Vehicle Safety (Title 49, Chapter 301) defines motor vehicle safety as “the performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in a way that protects the public against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring because of the design, construction, or performance of a motor vehicle, and against unreasonable risk of death or injury in an accident, and includes nonoperational safety of a motor vehicle.” A defect includes “any defect in performance, construction, a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment.” Generally, a safety defect is defined as a problem that exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment that:​

• poses an risk to motor vehicle safety, and
  • may exist in a group of vehicles of the same design or manufacture, or items of equipment of the same type and manufacture.
Examples of defects considered safety-related

• Steering components that break suddenly causing partial or complete loss of vehicle control.
  • Problems with fuel system components, particularly in their susceptibility to crash damage, that result in leakage of fuel and possibly cause vehicle fires.
  • Accelerator controls that may break or stick.
  • Wheels that crack or break, resulting in loss of vehicle control.
  • Engine cooling fan blades that break unexpectedly causing injury to persons working on a vehicle.
  • Windshield wiper assemblies that fail to operate properly.
  • Seats and/or seat backs that fail unexpectedly during normal use.
  • Critical vehicle components that break, fall apart, or separate from the vehicle, causing potential loss of vehicle control or injury to persons inside or outside the vehicle.
  • Wiring system problems that result in a fire or loss of lighting.
  • Car ramps or jacks that may collapse and cause injury to someone working on a vehicle.
  • Air bags that deploy under conditions for which they are not intended to deploy.
  • Child safety seats that contain defective safety belts, buckles, or components that create a risk of injury, not only in a vehicle crash but also in non-operational safety of a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Radio Stabilitrac

I am having the same problem with my 2014 Chevy Cruze. It has been happening for about a month now. Some days it works perfect other days the radio goes on and off. Sometimes the service stabilitrac will come on for a few seconds. When it is having issues it seems like rolling the seems to effect it. Sometimes the blinker doesn't make any sound. My car only has 61,000 miles. It is hard to read through all these pages, does anyone know if they ever did a recall or figured out a repair

·
Registered
6 Posts
cujo

Hello everyone.

Well it I good to know that I am not alone with my car being possessed. I have been living with it for almost 2 years. Dealer says to bring it in when it is happening, well I am not near the dealer when Cujo appears.

They said I can pay the $110 diagnostic fee and they can hook it up to the GM computer. Well my fear is that the computer will tell them nothing.

I can't afford a new car or to play games with the dealer.

I bought it used so there is no warranty. It is a 2013.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,776 Posts
What, specifically, is yours doing?

Do you have blind spot monitoring?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cujo

I apologize if this is duplicated....

I'm glad I am not alone with the radio and flashing lights.

I have been driving my car like this for almost 2 years. Dealer said to bring it in when it is happening, but I am never near a dealer or they are closed when it happens.

There is no record in the computer that it is happened. But I can pay the $110 and have them run a diagnostic with the GM computer.

I don't have the money to play games at the dealer. I bought my 2013 Cruze used, so there is no warranty any more.

What has helped for people and seeing as this could be an issue with the steering, has there been a recall?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, the radio starts to flash. and then the idiot lights start to flash with the stability trac staying in the middle. If I have a directional on, I can't hear it. And then I get the open and close driver's side window when I restart the car. It all starts when I put my foot on the brake.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
My money is on a negative battery cable.....this had its warranty extended to ten years, 120k miles.

Trouble here is your dealer is being a stroke.......the service bulletin instructs the dealer to replace the cable if the customer is reporting these problems and not waste time trying to duplicate.

Someone will popin with the update #...........print it and take it to any GM dealer other than Cadillac......they generally don't have access ro this info.

Do this before doing any further diagnostics.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
If the electrical system goes dead, either from a battery failure or anything else that affects circuit flow, the key will not return to 'lock' and cannot be removed........don't force it or things will break.

For now, have someone help by attaching jumper cables from their car to yours.....this might allow key removal (or the inverse, engine start).

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Well now it is dead in my driveway. No power anything and I can't pull the key out!!
Yeah, a bad battery cable can do that too. Try jumping the negative battery terminal to ground and see if it suddenly comes alive.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
This happened to me as well 2 years ago, ended up getting a brand new battery and sprayed some anti corrosion spray and made sure my terminals were tight as some 11's were having problems of coming loose... keeping my fingers crossed for now and car has always been on battery tenders when im not driving her!

·
Registered
6 Posts
well, car started. Rob, do you know what the update # is that I should give the dealer? How long can I drive this thing before I get it checked out by the dealer. I am trying to make the appointment. thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
well, car started. Rob, do you know what the update # is that I should give the dealer? How long can I drive this thing before I get it checked out by the dealer. I am trying to make the appointment. thanks.
Search: Special Coverage 14311.......read the entire body of the letter and if you feel it describes your condition then print it and take it to a dealer.

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing this same issue with my 2014 Chevrolet Cruze the radio with just randomly stops working worse after driving a while and also I have noted if you turn off the vehicle and exit the passenger door only the radio stays playing unlike if you exit the drivers door or open it the radio shut off. I am thinking there's a serious electrical problem with this vehicle. I question if all the recalls have been addressed? Or is it possible I was sold a lemon?

401 - 420 of 460 Posts