Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Radio, Stability Trac, Power Steering, Theft Deterrent System Issues

39636 27
My 2012 has experienced a variety of weird electrical issues recently. My radio display blinks on & off. Service warnings for the Stability Trac & Theft Deterrent System have displayed. The power steering seemed to go off once. Two nights ago my car completely died. No electrical power whatsoever. I jumped the battery & power was restored. It seemed to be restored too quickly for a bad battery. I took the car to the dealership yesterday & they could not get any of the problems to replicate and could find nothing wrong. They called it a "head scratcher" and I took the car home. Today the radio started going & on off again. When I parked & shut the car off, it completely died again. I tried to jump the battery again & could not get power restored. It has been towed back to the dealership again. I've seen a few other posts with similar problems. Did anyone get a definitive diagnosis on what causes these problems? Is it a battery issue or something worse? Of course I am about 5,000 miles past the warranty so I'm hoping I'm not totally screwed!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Second guess would be a bad ground cable to the battery.

Third guess would be a bad power cable to the battery.

Did the dealer's service department do a proper load test on the battery? Did they remove and clean the connections to the battery? Did they check the alternator output with the appropriate equipment? It seems, from other posts here and on other Cruze forums, that the problem can be traced to several causes. If all else fails, is there another dealer that you can try?

Mods: should this thread be merged into the other one here on this subject?

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi cargirl77

Please feel free to send me a private message if you need any assistance in getting this issue diagnosed and resolved. am available to make a dealership appointment, speak to the Service Adviser on your behalf or anything else that you may need.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealership has identified the problem to be in the negative battery cable. There's a grounding issue. This seems to be consistent with the other Cruze owners that experienced similar problems.
I've been diving in and out of threads trying to track down where to fix my 2012 with same symptoms. Most say "electrical" problem but not everyone has luck replacing battery cables. Many posts describe dealerships scratching heads and sending customers home. My car is almost undrivable and is very unsafe at best. Any other owners with success fixing this problem?

·
5,722 Posts
Hi BoilerRaceCo,

Have you opened a Service Request with customer care? I would be happy to open one and assist you in getting the issue with your Cruze resolved. Please send me a private message if you are interested in opening an SR and working with a customer care agent.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same issues! It is driving me crazy. My car wouldn't even start one day because it said the antitheft system needed serviced. First it started with my radio randomly going on and off on and off etc...now service lights are blinking on and off while I am driving and my power steering has gone out twice now, once when I was turning and it pulled the steering wheel out of my hand. I love my Cruze, but I am beginning to think that I made a horrible decision. I took it up to a Chevy dealer and I showed them the video on my phone I took while all these crazy things were happening and they looked and told me they didn't see anything so they did nothing! I was like seriously I showed you a **** video of what was happening and all they say is I am sorry we didn't see it! I NEVER had this problem with my Fords! I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having this exact same issue with my Cruze. Radio goes out, then the DIC flashes on and off, my blinker sound goes out, and it feels like the power steering then goes out as well. It seems this onset is initially triggered by depressing the brake or doing something electronic (i.e. wipers, blinker, etc.). Once I stop and restart my car, it's like it resets itself, and it will take awhile before this starts happening again.

I took it to the dealer, and they said they couldn't help me because I would have to bring it in when this is actually happening so they can get a code with their diagnostic tool. Now, I've been having issues with the car completely losing power, and it won't start, as if they battery is dead. When this happens, the key will get stuck in the ignition.

I've figured out when I wiggle the battery cables on the terminals, my car will come back to life. It seems that it might be something as simple as a corrosive battery terminal, bad battery cable, etc., but I don't know for sure yet. Anybody have any other ideas? Other forums similar to this seem to point to a bad battery or bad battery cable.

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I am having this exact same issue with my Cruze. Radio goes out, then the DIC flashes on and off, my blinker sound goes out, and it feels like the power steering then goes out as well. It seems this onset is initially triggered by depressing the brake or doing something electronic (i.e. wipers, blinker, etc.). Once I stop and restart my car, it's like it resets itself, and it will take awhile before this starts happening again.

I took it to the dealer, and they said they couldn't help me because I would have to bring it in when this is actually happening so they can get a code with their diagnostic tool. Now, I've been having issues with the car completely losing power, and it won't start, as if they battery is dead. When this happens, the key will get stuck in the ignition.

I've figured out when I wiggle the battery cables on the terminals, my car will come back to life. It seems that it might be something as simple as a corrosive battery terminal, bad battery cable, etc., but I don't know for sure yet. Anybody have any other ideas? Other forums similar to this seem to point to a bad battery or bad battery cable.
The next time this happens (no power at all) instead of wiggling the cables call the 800 number in your owners manual. There is a 5 year/100,000 mile road side assistance. If GM has to pay for this they will be motivated to fix it.

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I've been dealing with this exact problem on and off for about a year and the car has been into the dealership 3 times in 8 months. Posted about mine here > http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-s...domly-service-stabilitrac-service-tc-etc.html so refer to that thread for my info (pg. 25 post #247).
Have you Private Messaged the Chevy Customer Care staff here on CruzeTalk? They seem to be able to get dealerships to fix cars when the regular GM Customer Care folks can.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have you Private Messaged the Chevy Customer Care staff here on CruzeTalk? They seem to be able to get dealerships to fix cars when the regular GM Customer Care folks can.
I should mention that I'm about a month out from the last, 3rd, visit to the dealership where they replaced one of the battery cables (showed higher than normal voltage drops). So far it's been okay but I'm far from ready to call it just yet; 2nd visit I went about 2 months before the problem arose again but then again the dealership didn't replace any parts that 2nd visit. I's been frustrating but I can at least say I'm happy with the dealership through the process. The car was under warranty 1st visit but not on visits 2 and 3, however they have covered visits 2 and 3 as well since it was initially in under warranty for this problem.

The other thing I can say, regarding the problem itself, is that, at least in my case, the problem seems worse in colder weather. I had issues early last year but went through this past summer with almost zero; it became more prevalent again in October.

·
5,722 Posts
I should mention that I'm about a month out from the last, 3rd, visit to the dealership where they replaced one of the battery cables (showed higher than normal voltage drops). So far it's been okay but I'm far from ready to call it just yet; 2nd visit I went about 2 months before the problem arose again but then again the dealership didn't replace any parts that 2nd visit. I's been frustrating but I can at least say I'm happy with the dealership through the process. The car was under warranty 1st visit but not on visits 2 and 3, however they have covered visits 2 and 3 as well since it was initially in under warranty for this problem.

The other thing I can say, regarding the problem itself, is that, at least in my case, the problem seems worse in colder weather. I had issues early last year but went through this past summer with almost zero; it became more prevalent again in October.
Hello 06mistreSS,

I understand how an ongoing concern can be frustrating to experience but I am glad you have been satisfied with the service provided from your dealership. If you would like to further discuss anything, please feel free to send us a private message so we can look into this for you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
5,722 Posts
Hello I Am experiencing the same problems and want to know how much the dealership charged you for fixing this issue.?
Hi pumaog10,

I am sorry to hear you are also experiencing these concerns with your Cruze. Dealerships are independently owned and operated, therefore each location may vary in price. If you would like to further discuss your situation and have us look into this for you, please feel free to send us a private message. In the message include your full contact information, VIN and current mileage.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you 06mistreSS for directing me to the other posting about this issue.

I took my Cruze to my dealer a month ago and told them about my research and that it could possibly be a bad ground or bad cable. Their tests on the battery, cables, etc. came back fine. They said they checked and cleaned all connections. So far, I have not had any further issues.

And yes, it seemed my electronics problem would happen (or be exacerbated) when there were big temperature swings… like from 10 degrees Fahrenheit to 40 degrees in a day.

Anyways, if it starts up again I will be sure to contact GM. I would think this is a potential recall issue because of all the postings I'm seeing on this website regarding this topic. It's definitely a safety issue from the standpoint of loosing your power steering, stablitrak, and dashboard electronics. At the very least, it's a big distraction while driving.

Also in the meantime, another issue arose with my Cruze… black smoke came out the tail pipe and the engine was overheating. Looked under the hood and my anti-freeze reservoir was completely empty (only 20400 miles on my Cruze, take it in every 4000 miles for servicing). Refilled it with Dex-Cool and brought it to the dealer. They couldn't find a leak. The anti-freeze level has not dropped again since my last servicing (a month ago). I've read other forums about a slow leak in the anti-freeze system… not sure if that's what happened with mine.

I'm a GM guy with a Dad who is a GM mechanic. The issues I'm having with my Cruze are making me lose my faith in GM products.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my Cruze 2013 for exactly one month. I bought it with about 24000 miles on it. Two weeks after I got it I had an issue with the message that the Theft Deterent system needed to be serviced and I couldn't start the car. I went into the dealership and asked them about it. They did the head scratching thing and advised that I bring it in if the problem persists. Then Monday I was in the car for a while with the key turned to Accessory to listen to the radio. This was maybe for 15 minutes at most. When I tried to start it it died completely. I couldn't get the key out either. Then about 10 minutes later everything came back on and I was able to start the car. The clock had reset to 12am. Then yesterday I was on my way to work at 6am and the car started acting like it was possessed. The radio, turn signals, messages, warning lights all started flashing off and on. I watched the battery in between and it was going between 13V and 15.1. It seemed that every time I came to a stop it would do it again. This happened 5 times. I turned off everything I could.

The dealer said that the battery cables were badly corroded. They cleaned them and sent me on my way. This evening on my way home I stopped at the store. When I came out the car wouldn't start. It started the flashing messages and power thing all over again. This time it lost Power steering several times the 2.5 miles I drove home. I would lose it for a few seconds and then it would just come back on. VERY dangerous. It happened when I was making a left turn in front of traffic. Now I am thinking of having the car towed to the dealer tomorrow morning.

I am very frustrated. I put 217,000 miles on my last car and 148,000 on the one before that and 170,000 on the one before that. This one doesn't even have 25,000 yet! I was so happy to get such a lovely car. The car is still under warranty, but when they cleaned the battery cables they acted like I would normally have to pay for it, but since I had just gotten the car they were doing me a favor. Should this be a warranty fix?

I took my Cruze in to the shop this morning. No problems, but the battery kept losing juice. I started with 15.1V and it went down to 12.8V. The shop has contacted Chevrolet and it sounds like they are going to replace some pretty major components. I'll let you all know more when I find out. The parts won't be here until Monday, so I'm going to have a loaner for a while.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can say this problem seems like something dealerships are on their own with for now, as mine was basically figuring it out as they went over the 3 visits and was more trial and error than knowing the exact problem and how/what to fix. I couldn't even tell you for sure that mine's resolved right now. Seems to be a somewhat common problem so you would think GM needs to figure it out on a large scale at some point.

Both from personal experience and what I've seen, cleaning connections seems to be a common first action by dealerships although it's a temporary band-aid fix. Mine did the cleaning 2nd visit and the problem resurfaced 2 months later.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.