Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Radio, Stability Trac, Power Steering, Theft Deterrent System Issues

39540 27
My 2012 has experienced a variety of weird electrical issues recently. My radio display blinks on & off. Service warnings for the Stability Trac & Theft Deterrent System have displayed. The power steering seemed to go off once. Two nights ago my car completely died. No electrical power whatsoever. I jumped the battery & power was restored. It seemed to be restored too quickly for a bad battery. I took the car to the dealership yesterday & they could not get any of the problems to replicate and could find nothing wrong. They called it a "head scratcher" and I took the car home. Today the radio started going & on off again. When I parked & shut the car off, it completely died again. I tried to jump the battery again & could not get power restored. It has been towed back to the dealership again. I've seen a few other posts with similar problems. Did anyone get a definitive diagnosis on what causes these problems? Is it a battery issue or something worse? Of course I am about 5,000 miles past the warranty so I'm hoping I'm not totally screwed!
1 - 3 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have you Private Messaged the Chevy Customer Care staff here on CruzeTalk? They seem to be able to get dealerships to fix cars when the regular GM Customer Care folks can.
I should mention that I'm about a month out from the last, 3rd, visit to the dealership where they replaced one of the battery cables (showed higher than normal voltage drops). So far it's been okay but I'm far from ready to call it just yet; 2nd visit I went about 2 months before the problem arose again but then again the dealership didn't replace any parts that 2nd visit. I's been frustrating but I can at least say I'm happy with the dealership through the process. The car was under warranty 1st visit but not on visits 2 and 3, however they have covered visits 2 and 3 as well since it was initially in under warranty for this problem.

The other thing I can say, regarding the problem itself, is that, at least in my case, the problem seems worse in colder weather. I had issues early last year but went through this past summer with almost zero; it became more prevalent again in October.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can say this problem seems like something dealerships are on their own with for now, as mine was basically figuring it out as they went over the 3 visits and was more trial and error than knowing the exact problem and how/what to fix. I couldn't even tell you for sure that mine's resolved right now. Seems to be a somewhat common problem so you would think GM needs to figure it out on a large scale at some point.

Both from personal experience and what I've seen, cleaning connections seems to be a common first action by dealerships although it's a temporary band-aid fix. Mine did the cleaning 2nd visit and the problem resurfaced 2 months later.

1 - 3 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.