Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the dealership sell rain guards for the windows or only the couple after market companies?

I know there's threads on rain guards however none seem to be up to date. What kind is everyone using and how do they like them.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
127 Posts
Weather tech is my favorite. I know a lot of people that just get cheap eBay ones and they work fine. The thing I don't like about the eBay ones is that it's pretty much just 3m taping it to your door. The weather tech is a perfect fit in the weather stripping

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the weather techs still have the problem with poor figment? Some people say they make a cracking sound as well.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
These things? Window rain guards, visors, vents, shades, can't settle on the name.

Never needed these when they had those angled out side vent windows. Miss these, could get some fresh air in the vehicle without drowning. Plus you had that extra weather strip metal channel so the roll down window was far better supported with a lot less wind noise and far easier to adjust.

Two doors with ventless windows were a PITA, that glass was so huge, brackets would break and the whole window would fall down. Then trying to align them to ease wind noise. They also had rain gutters, so you could crack that window down to get some more air.

But practically was kicked out of the door in place of styling. At least on the Cruze, the door closes under the roof. Put up with vehicle where the door was a good part of the roof, open it in the rain, would really get soaking wet. Then with all this power crap in the door, those switches would drown giving more electrical problems. None of these were ever water proof.

Long before they got rid of side vent windows, had running boards with mud scrappers on them, last year for these was 1939 like 76 years ago. One thing that hasn't changed is we still have mud. Only place I could find to park in downtown Milwaukee was on a spot where their was a pile of mud next to the curb.

Can only come to the conclusion that our vehicles are designed for a nice air conditioned clean showroom. Maybe we should leave them there.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Do the weather techs still have the problem with poor figment? Some people say they make a cracking sound as well.

The cracking sound is from poor fitment. The ones I installed tuck under the window channel between the glass and weather strip vs the ones that stick to the outside of the door. However there's strips of adhesive rubber that you place in the channel. But it's difficult to get it in place the first time because it's so stickey. If you don't get it just right the first time there no adjustment after that. It's like contact cement. Then when you roll up the window it will come back down because there's a sensor for the window incase your arms ect is there. I had to cut and angle on the rear end of the guard to solve this problem. The window comes up and actually hits the bottom of the guard senses resistance then comes back down. After a couple weeks this problem went away after the window seal had the memory of the rain guard. Difficult to explain without pics.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I have the weathertech ones, love them. Had to pull/tweak on them after first installing to get them to not mess with the auto up windows, but once adjusted they make no popping sounds at all.

They do add a bit of wind noise to the car even with the window closed, not enough to care about though. LOVE being able to keep my windows defogged and have fresh air coming in even if raining. Heck I can park when raining and buy some hot food, with all 4 windows cracked I still get no fogging. Try putting hot food in your cruze normally when raining, will fog all the windows in 30 seconds.

I bought mine online, the dealer here only seemed to sell the GM ones which are stick on type that hang off the car much farther.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Would this be a problem if our vehicles came from the factory this way? Haven't installed these yet, but my side moldings and sills were one shot, very carefully used masking tape for a precise guide. Can you do this with window visors or whatever they call them?

Somewhere way back in my memory, recall some kind of a device called a screw, but maybe I was just dreaming.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the WeatherTechs on my 2012 for three years now. The first year I heard some creaking/squeaking noise when the windows go up fully into the channel but after awhile it went away. It seems after a few years of hot summer temperatures and cold winter temps the WeatherTechs finally settle in. And I think they look better than the stick-on type ventvisors.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure thinking about these, agree, WeatherTech is the only way to go, so decisions, decisions, should I get the light or the dark, or just for the front doors or all four. Front are practical, hardly ever open the rear windows. But looks mismatched.

Ebay is of no help, didn't check on S&H prices on the WeatherTech website, but charging a fortune extra on ebay for so-called free shipping. For four tiny pieces of plastic?

Do they give discounts to vets? If they do, will be about the only ones.

[h=1][/h]

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the weather techs because if they break you don't have to deal with the glue on the pillars and whatnot. Maybe I'll just pull the trigger and buy a set of weather techs (the dark ones) and do it. I keep seeing cruze's with the rain guards and I miss them. Every other car I've owned other than pos winter beaters I had them.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,016 Posts
I had a set of the Lund in-channel, and they fit poorly, the driver's window would bind and reverse, and eventually broke within a couple weeks. I lost the right-rear driving on a windy day. I got a replacement from the manufacturer and sold it on ebay, then bought Weathertechs instead, and I've been very happy with them. They have their awkward moments during the first week or so when you hear a little groaning while opening or closing a window or the driver's window occasionally reverses, but once they settle in they're flawless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts