Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in New jersey we got slammed with a massive amount of rain this week. This morning i must have face at least 10 areas of roadway that were flooded out. I reluctlantly went through them scared to death that water would get sucked up into intake. The car seems fine, the road must need over a foot of water for the intake to suck it in.:signs015:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Where does it draw air in from? I know in the Trailblazer, I can go through water up to the headlights, as long as I keep moving ~3mph or so, and it keeps making a wave in front of the vehicle, and keeps an air pocket in the engine bay...

Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah the bottoms of the cruzes are really closed off so a cold air intake should never suck in water they do make hydro sheilds though incase you do, I'd just check the intake after a drive in the rain and see if it's wet or not

·
Registered
538 Posts
Cruzeman...if you could send some of that rain down to Texas, we'd REALLY appreciate it. :th_dblthumb2:
Yes, please. The fires are getting too close to home.

Get a bypass valve. AEM has them. If the CAI does happen to suck up air the valve will kick in.

CAIs can and will suck up water. I stupidly went through some in my '01 Neon back in '04. I thought, "I'll be fine as long as I keep moving". Well, I was behind my buddy's dodge ram, I thought all was well, (this was during the night BTW, and I didn't know how deep the water was, although tons of traffic was passing through) and traffic stopped. The car started to ride the water and sucked up water into the engine. Next week I had to get me a new vehicle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
you have a stock bpv, no need for an aftermarket one unless you really want/need a new one. It also just lets the extra air back into the intake after you cut the throttle, it doesnt give it a constant supply of air.

·
Registered
538 Posts
you have a stock bpv, no need for an aftermarket one unless you really want/need a new one. It also just lets the extra air back into the intake after you cut the throttle, it doesnt give it a constant supply of air.
That's good to hear. What about the aftermarket intake guys? I assume all that goes out the window with the CAI, in which you would need a BPV.

·
Registered
538 Posts
i dont understand what youre asking.
Get a bypass valve.
What about the aftermarket intake guys? I assume all that goes out the window with the CAI, in which you would need a BPV.

I stated the OP should get a BPV, cause the title of the thread says "Rain..CAI". You mentioned it has a BPV stock. So are you talking about the Injen intake coming with a BPV as part of the kit, which is what you meant by stock? Or are you saying the stock OEM intake has a BPV? If that's the case, once you take out the stock intake you no longer have the BPV, correct? In which he would still need to get a BPV.

I'm confused now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
bpv= bypass valve....as in..something to open if water gets in the intake..to bypass the orginal spot of air intake..so fresh air..not water can get to the motor...and sence there would no longer be anything pulling the water into the cai..because the bpv opened...the water would then drain out...a bov=blow off vavle..is on the turbo..to let excess pressure out...so..bpv..isnt bov.....and the stock intake also has a drain...in the bottom of the airbox..with a little tube connected to it..so water can drain from the stock air box.....sorry if i rambled..

·
Registered
665 Posts
Installing a BPF will just reduce the amount of air coming from the CAI and increase the amount of air coming from the BPF. Unless of course you get a BPF in which the resistance of flow is greater than the CAI filter + the additional resistance of the extra 1.25 feet of tube including the bend + reduced viscosity of air in the compartment due to the increased temperature.

In short, if you are installing a BPF, the SRI is probably a better option since the turbo will draw more air from the bpf and thus the engine compartment anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Cruzers, for all worried about rain; install a Bypass Filter.
Attached is a picture of her car with a Injen CAI w/ a bypass filter.
I tried doing the same exact setup and it drove me crazy trying to align the tubes and connect the filter so I just F-It and tossed the bypass. Oh by the way, what size did you order? I ordered a 2.75 bypass because the injen tubes are 2.75 but I couldn't get the tubes far enough through the bypass. Did you cut you tubes shorter?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
13 Participants
spacedout
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing