Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was cleaning the interior this weekend and entering month 4 of ownership. I noticed a couple of items that will be in pristine condition when I go to sell the car many years in the future .

1. The eject button on the CD player...or the entire CD player itself. I just noticed the eject button the other day. Between Pandora and XM, I can honestly say that a CD will probably never make it into the car. Unless my wife sneaks one in there at some point, she's the carrier of those silly plastic coasters.

2. The headlight switch. It's a good thing that Chevy put it completely out of the way and out of mind. I've yet to touch it at all. They could have put in the glove box and I probably wouldn't even notice.

That's it...enough of my useless observation. :fro:

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Does the Cruze have a CD player? Just joking in 14 months I don't even know if it works or not, USP memory stick holds so much music CD is obsolete and has gone the way of 4 track and cassette. I have copied all of my favourite CD's to I tunes on my computer and make a selection when going on a trip.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,301 Posts
I wish the foglights would stay on with the headlights so I didn't have to push the button every time.

It is very cool that the fogs will stay on with the parking lights - this is normally an "European" mod people do to cars.

Auto headlights are awesome, I agree.

·
10,713 Posts
I turn my DRLs off when I leave work. The light sensor goes crazy at 7am and the interior lights switch back and forth from day/night mode. I actually have a CD in the car now because I kinda hate usb music with this car.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Since I put in the Bluetooth PDIM I've only used the CD once (to test the CD indicator) and haven't plugged anything into the USB or 3.5mm jacks. I have no idea if those jacks still work.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
All neat little tricks, I love em . threw those week oem speakers away long ago .
Just some thing I have always done to a new vehicle .

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Head lamp switch can stay where its at, least it gives me some element of control over my Cruze. Only tried the CD player once, just to make sure it worked, but that 18 months ago. Use to change belts in these things all the time, or that disk drive motor would need cleaned. Wisconsin Belt was purchased by a NY firm, couldn't get a belt for a buck anymore, when switched to NY, have a 50 buck minimum order.

I can live with my speakers that came in my 2LT, can turn the volume all the way up without noticeable distortion. Does have it own unique tone, but became accustomed to that. Just like some audiophiles that can't live without the distortion characteristics of a 12AX7. Rarely turn the volume to maximum anyway, got this far without an hearing aid and don't want to start now.

With modern music, finally getting to the point of near distortion free sound systems, so they came out with distortion amplifiers. And really haven't learned to appreciate some rock group yelling, screaming, and cussing at me.

Now with that really crappy sound system that came with my 04 Cavalier, had to do something with that. Put around 500 bucks in that car, but both that 500 bucks and that car is history now.

·
Super Moderator
5,135 Posts
Have a CD in my CD player also. In case there is too much talk on Satellite radio(plugging other stations) or a bunch of music I don't like. The CD could be added to the following list: Something I saw on our local news station:
DealNews.com has just listed a number of devices it says you soon may no longer need, and could become obsolete in the next 10 years.

It's list includes:

Stand alone GPS unit....if you have a smartphone.

A DVD player....now that we stream movies.

A Blu Ray player....see DVD, above.

Flash Drives...thanks to the Cloud.

MP3 players....since smartphones play music.

Desktop Computers...as a laptop does it all now.

Home Camcorders....again, a victim of smartphones.

Alarm Clocks...again, soon to be replaced by your phone or tablet.

None of these items will disappear anytime soon, and a lot of people still like to have a separate GPS unit, as a Garmin or Tom Tom does not use up your monthly smartphone data.
Probably add CD players also.

The headlight switch. This morning walking to work, I saw this car with no headlights on and 99% of every other car had their lights or at least DRLs on. It was a Honda or a Toyota(I wonder how they get away not at least having DRLs guess it is cheaper to manufacture) The only car I had w/o auto headlights was my 2007 Civic. I was surprised Even my 1996 Beretta had auto lights. but the switch was on the turn signal if not.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,301 Posts
The headlight switch. This morning walking to work, I saw this car with no headlights on and 99% of every other car had their lights or at least DRLs on. It was a Honda or a Toyota(I wonder how they get away not at least having DRLs guess it is cheaper to manufacture) The only car I had w/o auto headlights was my 2007 Civic. I was surprised Even my 1996 Beretta had auto lights. but the switch was on the turn signal if not.
I see it happen all the time. The dashboards backlight up in most new cars like you do have your lights on.

My old Toyota had DRL's on the headlight switch, but then an option for "off" right behind it. Mother's Honda doesn't even have auto lights, and it's an EX-L model.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There are instances when it would be nice to have control over auto-headlights and daytime running lights. Warming a car up in winter. Napping while running heater for a few minutes. When car is aimed at house or motel windows. Investigation work, tailing, etc. Cannot even stalk anymore without those headlights coming on!:tututtongue4:
I hear through the grapevine that those three letter agencies are not fans of em either, especially when they have to get a rental. A popular mod is disabling these features on some forums.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Heard that digital cameras are on their way out as well, with smartphones. Wife's couple of years old Sandisk MP3 she really wanted is gathering dust. That's all it did, played MP3's and we paid over 200 bucks for that thing.

Have some really weird apps on my smart phone, can chat with my stepson in Venezuela and send photos for free, has a magnetic compass, star map, Pro Torque that works very well on my Cruze, three different navigational programs, car finder, a full piano tuner program accurate to within a couple of hertz, full electronic slide rule calculators, games to keep me entertained while waiting, can watch Netflix, do have a 5G limit, but most places have WiFi now. Simm chip of use out of this country, and a whole list of other apps in the medical field I haven't looked at yet. All a dirt cheap prices

Only reason why I have one, wife and daughter wanted them and was cheaper for a family plan if I got one as well. Ha, now I can't live without it.

We purchased four extra OE batteries from ebay cheap, stores around here rob you to death that solved that problem. Along with car and home chargers. Wife was looking for a Dictaphone if you can even remember those. Said, why, you have one on your smartphone. Works great, and she doesn't have to carry another box with her.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
See the latest thing in new vehicles is keyless entry, and by keyless entry, no key period! No locks on the door, not even a key, you walk near the vehicle and the doors automatically unlock, and push a start button.

Asked the dealer, how do you get in if the battery in your remote or vehicle goes dead. Still waiting for an answer.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Yeah, never used the CD player here and probably never will. But, maybe I will now just to make sure it works and say I used it once.

Headlight switch is a PIA. Want fogs on every time I drive with headlights on, tired of pushing the button each time. Don't like the DRL with the headlights, would rather have with the fogs instead, so I turn that off almost every time I get in the car when it's light out. No need to waste the bulbs.

I'll add rear seat headrests to my list since I have them out and in the basement.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Back in the old days, if your vehicle did not come equipped with directional signals, law said, you didn't have to add them, but if your vehicle did come equipped with them, they had to work.

Same with seat belts, in Wisconsin at least if your old car didn't come with them don't have to add them, but if they did and caught on wearing them, a 200 buck fine.

So what about rear head restrains, fairly new, if you have them, but removed them, that cause injury, would this affect your coverage from the guy that rear ended you? If your vehicle wasn't equipped with rear head restrains, wouldn't be a problem.

Could also question why there isn't a center head rest, but can't blame anyone for wanting to remove them. Do a very good job of blocking your rear view vision.

·
10,713 Posts
MY 12 took center headrest out of the back seats Cruze if I remember correctly. The LTZ has the same looking (but internally different) key as us for keyless entry and push to start. They only have 1 keyhole, you have to find a right hand Cruze driver door handle part number to get the passenger side keyhole stateside. 7am was too dark for me to kill DRL's, must be getting closer to winter time here. USB stopped working and told my phone it was an unauthorized accessory? Brand new iPhone cable with 1 month of wear and tear at least Bluetooth music still works. Guess the old school CD visor comes out of hiding till I get to the dealer. Rebooted and delete/reinstalled IOS 7.0.2

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
There are instances when it would be nice to have control over auto-headlights and daytime running lights. Warming a car up in winter. Napping while running heater for a few minutes. When car is aimed at house or motel windows. Investigation work, tailing, etc. Cannot even stalk anymore without those headlights coming on!:tututtongue4:
I hear through the grapevine that those three letter agencies are not fans of em either, especially when they have to get a rental. A popular mod is disabling these features on some forums.
Mod for manual auto-lights: Turn switch to left to switch auto-lights off. Turn switch to right to turn headlights on. Done!

With all the yahoos I now share the road with and a black Cruze, I really like my DRL. On cloudy days the other drivers see the DRL before my black Cruze. I can also pick out oncoming cars from much further away when they have DRL.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mod for manual auto-lights: Turn switch to left to switch auto-lights off. Turn switch to right to turn headlights on. Done!

With all the yahoos I now share the road with and a black Cruze, I really like my DRL. On cloudy days the other drivers see the DRL before my black Cruze. I can also pick out oncoming cars from much further away when they have DRL.
I agree, most of the time DRL's are a good thing. As a motorcycle rider, I am glad for having the headlight always on, and many times I have the bright light on in the daytime. Still did not stop the yahoo from pulling out to pass a semi tractor trailer on a two lane black top with not much of a shoulder yesterday. SUV coming head on right at me. Scrubbed off speed from about 60 to less than 20, and the semi pretty much did the same to give the jerk a chance to get over. Just glad the minivan behind me was giving a pretty good distance between us.
I wish all makes and models had the option of turning off the automatic headlights though.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay another useless observation today.

How is is that GM decided to give the rear passengers a better center armrest then what they gave the driver? What's up with that?

Would it have killed the engineers to make the center armrest about 6" longer?

·
Registered
533 Posts
After a year of owning my Cruze I just now noticed that you can extend the sun visor out on the driver side..I always complained about it till last week...lol FAIL!:banghead:
Lol. Yeah. I love this feature so much. I miss it when I'm in someone else's car. FYI, the passenger one does it too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 36 Posts