Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I have a 2015 Cruze LT Turbo Automatic. I bought it three weeks ago with 25,000 miles on it. Now have about 27,500. Fuel consumption is a little disappointing. I drive 90% highway driving about 50 miles one way. I drive with economy in mind, don't idle the engine over 30 seconds, rarely use full throttle, and use cruise control always set at 65 both to and from work. I have never gotten over 33mpg. I have a new 2017 Golf R and I can easily get 34 to 35mpg while driving harder. This just doesn't make sense, how does an itty-bitty 1.4T engine drink as much as a 300hp 2.0T AWD car? I sometimes really try hard to get good mileage and hypermile by drafting, feathering the throttle and doing 55mpg in a 60 zone but no **** luck. I'm in a warm area year round in BC Canada and am driving flat roads too, so I just can't believe my R is getting as good of mileage as my Cruze. I bought the Cruze to be the daily while the R is the fun car and sometimes a daily, but it makes no sense to have the Cruze this way. Any thoughts, and maybe this is normal? By the way my tires are all at 40PSI and maintenance is all up to date, the previous owner was really anal about servicing, I talked to him after I bought it from the dealer and he really impressed me by how well he took care of the car...

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
A year round warm area in B.C.? It's already snowing at my friend's B.C. home, 92F here today. I'm as mad as you for another reason, I have 8 Ten Cent Safeway rewards that expire on the 31st and I haven't even used a half tank in October. Sure I haven't driven much, and yes the 138 HP 1.4 will not win any awards for the best gas mileage ever although I've never had a Car that averaged 33 MPG so no real complaints here!

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I'm going to start with the obvious, but what are your tire pressures? Next question is what is your average MPG? Finally, reset a trip odometer when you engage the cruise control and check the average MPG when you get off the highway. Do the cruise control test both going to and coming home from work. Please report all four of these numbers here. We need some baseline numbers to start.

·
2,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Those numbers sound low to me. I drove a 520 mile round trip the other day and averaged 34.3 (calculated by trip and pump numbers) with a very heavy foot, cruise control set at 85mph and did quite a few 4th gear pulls from 65-90. If I drove under the conditions you described I'd be in the 41-44 mpg range.

I fill up with top tier (Shell, Exxon, BP) 93 octane fuel. And my tire pressures are 35 all around. I've also got the 1LT 6-speed manual, but our numbers shouldn't be THAT different.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Over three, 4 hour trips all highway very limited stops... these are the numbers I get;

60 MPH 48 MPG,
65 MPH 45 MPG,
70 MPH 40 MPG.

On a side note if mention here that I do more than 75 MPH I would probably get a speeding ticket mailed to me. I have gotten away with a lot of things over the years but more than 8 MPH over the posted limit is not one of them.. lost count of the tickets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Main concern is driving habits. We all want great economy with these cars, because they advertise such good numbers, even on the non ECO models. Heavy braking, and hard accelerations are the biggest fuel economy killers. Auto's also get lower numbers as well. One thing that wasn't asked was how much of your driving is city/stop and go, and highway?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts