Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 cruze ... has anyone experienced a loud rattle noise under the hood that gets significantly louder when the AC is on? I have replaced the AC unit but still did not change. Also getting code P1101 off and on from time to time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2014 cruze ... has anyone experienced a loud rattle noise under the hood that gets significantly louder when the AC is on? I have replaced the AC unit but still did not change. Also getting code P1101 off and on from time to time.
becoming concerned
of the turbo but not sure why that would create this sound at idle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
becoming concerned
of the turbo but not sure why that would create this sound at idle.
Check your spark plugs. A loose one can make a rattling noise. You can find a video on youtube that demonstrates the noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I Did that along with a new valve cover to fix the PCV valve issue these cars have. With the serpentine belt off /tension released the noise seemed to go away. And the AC unit had the loudest sound from the three connected components. So it was replaced but the noise remains. I also checked the motor mounts and exhaust. I had heard that there is some issues with the turbo on these cars. Since the turbo is located next to the AC unit and connected to the exhaust I am beginning to believe that maybe the noise is transferring through the other units. So I was hoping that someone in the Cruze Talk group might have had this issue before I tackle that project.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,737 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

So the noise went away when you removed the serpentine belt?

If that's the case, it's either in the water pump, a/c compressor (you ruled that out), alternator, idler (if there is one on your engine) or tensioner. In other words, any of the belt driven components. You can have more than one bad component from that list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jll
Agreed on the comment ...but you cant spin any of those components (without the belt applied) at a high enough RPM to duplicate the noise. And non of them had significant play at the pulleys to indicate bad bearings. So I replaced the unit that transmitted the noise the loudest. At this point its just throwing parts and money at the problem. I was hoping someone in the forum had encountered this to help in the next step.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,737 Posts
Hi Jll
Agreed on the comment ...but you cant spin any of those components (without the belt applied) at a high enough RPM to duplicate the noise. And non of them had significant play at the pulleys to indicate bad bearings. So I replaced the unit that transmitted the noise the loudest. At this point its just throwing parts and money at the problem. I was hoping someone in the forum had encountered this to help in the next step.
It's almost impossible to diagnose noises over the internet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts