Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then I'll hear a rattle when i
start up my car, dealer said it was my front motor mount. I checked it and it was fine. Any other clues besides the starter?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Do you have a manual transmission? Mine has been making a loud rattle when the engine is warm and I start it with the transmission in gear.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Do you hear a rattle/knock while driving? Could be a loose spark plug, it would quiet down when the engine warm up.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Every now and then I'll hear a rattle when i
start up my car, dealer said it was my front motor mount. I checked it and it was fine. Any other clues besides the starter?
Model year? Transmission? Current mileage?

And, why do you think the dealer diagnosis is incorrect......as in, did the dealer actually check it or were they just speculating?

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2012, 84k, and standard transmission. It's a loud rattle almost like the car doesn't want to start. But once it starts it's fine. And i think the dealer is wrong because, i think it would happen every time i start it.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
2012, 84k, and standard transmission. It's a loud rattle almost like the car doesn't want to start. But once it starts it's fine. And i think the dealer is wrong because, i think it would happen every time i start it.
It would help if the dealer could show you what they see......I have had mounts that were so degraded that engine hard parts rattled against the chassis during start up....the mounts actually allowed the engine to settle too low in the chassis.

Can you reproduce a similar sound with the engine running, by hitting and releasing the throttle?
If not, how about this.....rolling in first, nail the throttle say to 3k rpm and then release it......a degraded mount will usually allow a clank on accel or decel.

My next thought is, you may be hearing the dual mass flywheel at early stages of failure......engine start up shudder is rather violent, in particular with a 4 cyl, and this may be making the flywheel rattle.

If a flywheel is failing, it (and only it) is covered as a powertrain failure.

Best I can offer at this distance.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
It could be something benign, like the classic heat shield rattle. It's just the engine doesn't hit the right frequencies to make it rattle except on start up while it's trying to come up to idle RPM.

Hard to say without being there and hearing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts