Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing a rattle sound under the hood when I start in the AM. I can also make it rattle by holding 1000-1200 RPM. Haven't poked my head under the hood yet. It's been doing it for a while now. I am at 182K miles. Sounds like a heat shield or something. Anybody else? It doesn't sound like anything serious which is why I'm dragging my feet.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,886 Posts
Is it tinny ringing, or more like something hard hitting something else (clicking-ish noise)?

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Reach in and play with the heat shield. Where I live they're normally ripped off around 50k miles because they're so rotten they're falling off.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Reach in and play with the heat shield. Where I live they're normally ripped off around 50k miles because they're so rotten they're falling off.
A heat shield is a piece of safety equipment.

As an electrician, I would hope that you would replace a piece of safety equipment and not simply cast it aside.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
How do you replace a heat shield when it's so rotten around the bolts that it's falling off and the bolts are so rusted in that you'll break them before you ever get them out? Guess they could be ordered through the dealership but I don't know how they'd be fastened. The heat shield by the turbo would be fine but anything under the car would be impossible to replace. I'll get some pictures of vehicles where I live and show you what I'm talking about.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
How do you replace a heat shield when it's so rotten around the bolts that it's falling off and the bolts are so rusted in that you'll break them before you ever get them out? Guess they could be ordered through the dealership but I don't know how they'd be fastened. The heat shield by the turbo would be fine but anything under the car would be impossible to replace. I'll get some pictures of vehicles where I live and show you what I'm talking about.
Go to the dealer. And insist that it be replaced.

Would you hook up a duplex receptacle and not connect the ground because it was hard to reach?

Do you think that there is a piece of safety equipment on any car that can be cast away?

Do you think GM would have put that heat shield on there because it really wasn't needed?

Do you think that there is any part on a car that cannot be repaired or replaced?

I hope these are rhetorical questions because you answered no to everyone.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,886 Posts
You could argue a rusted heat shield falls under the 100,000 mile corrosion warranty.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Brake lines are known to make noise on the gassers, I also had one that the A/C line was making contact with the firewall.

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
a heat shield is a piece of safety equipment.

As an electrician, i would hope that you would replace a piece of safety equipment and not simply cast it aside.
i plan on swapping mine with a turbo blanket. It will keep more heat in the turbo and off oil lines, wires, exc...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You could argue a rusted heat shield falls under the 100,000 mile corrosion warranty.
I guess you probably could. However if there's no way to mount them back on than you'll be told it's normal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Go to the dealer. And insist that it be replaced.

Would you hook up a duplex receptacle and not connect the ground because it was hard to reach?

Do you think that there is a piece of safety equipment on any car that can be cast away?

Do you think GM would have put that heat shield on there because it really wasn't needed?

Do you think that there is any part on a car that cannot be repaired or replaced?

I hope these are rhetorical questions because you answered no to everyone.
That heat shield has the same purpose as upside down receptacles and tape wrapped receptacles.

Because one time, something happened.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Chillax guys, we don't even know if it's the heatshield.

But they're pretty cheap. You don't really need the turbo heat shield, but the dpf shield is pretty important...

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Almost sounds like a bad bearing in the accessory drive somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Almost sounds like a bad bearing in the accessory drive somewhere.
It only happens at a 1000-1200 RPM. Slower or higher than that it's silent. It's apparently set up by a certain vibration frequency. I'll eventually get under there and poke around. I was mainly curious if any other diesel owners have ever heard this. Once I find out, I will report back, but it's not a really high priority. It's been doing it for a few weeks. I will probably investigate when I do the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like a Pulley like T said.
Hmm, I probably ought to look sooner rather than later then. Pulleys are important! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts