Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
So how do we force GM to cover our cars the same way?
Good luck. We've already been screwed out of the special clutch line/slave cylinder recalls and TSBs the Europeans got.

If there's any good news, both issues should be covered under our 5yr/60K powertrain warranty, which as far as I understand most of Europe doesn't get. This timing chain special coverage also ends at the end of 2021. I think most of us will wind up with slightly more coverage then they do with our 5/60. I know I'll be covered until October 2022 since I won't get anywhere near 60,000 miles. By that time I'll be making sure to have a lightly used 2nd gen Bolt in my driveway.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There have been some pretty high mileage engines posted about here on the forum - no cam chain issues.... knock on wood...

jeff

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If there's any good news, both issues should be covered under our 5yr/60K powertrain warranty, which as far as I understand most of Europe doesn't get. This timing chain special coverage also ends at the end of 2021. I think most of us will wind up with slightly more coverage then they do with our 5/60. I know I'll be covered until October 2022 since I won't get anywhere near 60,000 miles. By that time I'll be making sure to have a lightly used 2nd gen Bolt in my driveway.
GM is wishing they had never brought this engine to the USA. They tried to move in where VW exited the market, realized they weren't going to capture that "magic" that TDI has with marketing to diesel fanatics, and they sold the vehicles in such low numbers and with such engineering flaws that they will never make money.

I mean, basic guess here, but my car has had probably $4,000 in warranty repairs? There was no profit made on selling these cars. GM replaced a bunch of EGR coolers, and now is working through clutch slave cylinder failures.

The warranty department actuaries are praying that these cars get out of warranty ASAP so they can get all the red boxes off their spreadsheets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For whatever reason, GM had a serious woody for diesels a few years ago. Cruze, Equinox, Coloraydo, Silveraydo, Tahoe, and all of their variations and corporate counterparts.

I'd estimate I'm between 50% and 100% higher than you on warranty repairs, some diesel related, some not.
-DEF tank/heater
-EGR Cooler
-Battery
-Airbag Clockspring
-NOx Sensor
-Transmission
-Battery a second time
-One other sensor I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure they broke it doing the transmission and just claimed they "discovered it cracked"

I have yet to do:
-Clutch line/slave
-Flywheel
-Timing Chain tensioner/guides

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
For whatever reason, GM had a serious woody for diesels a few years ago. Cruze, Equinox, Coloraydo, Silveraydo, Tahoe, and all of their variations and corporate counterparts.
In the HD trucks they make some sense if you are actually using them to haul large loads on long distances, but not as much benefit as they used to be. When the Cummins or Powerstroke could be had for a couple grand in a 250 or 350 pickup AND they had better fuel economy AND they were pretty reliable, it was an easy purchase. Nowadays it's like a $10,000 option and the fuel economy really isn't that great AND there is more stuff that breaks on them and is expensive to fix when it breaks.

GM moved into the Colorado/Canyon trucks with the 2.8 Duramax diesel (made by VM Motori) and that engine trickled into the full-size vans. Rumor is the engine will be dropped with the 3rd gen Colorado. Maybe GM sees what Ford did with their F-150 and they know that hybrids and other gasoline powertrains will deliver the fuel economy and performance of a diesel and no one will want the diesel engine except for some compression ignition fanatics.

That 3.0 Duramax (development shared with Opal, who is making I-3 and I-4 versions of the engine for other vehicles) is pretty nice for GM to try to compete in the 1500 pickups and SUVs. It will remain to be seen if they sell enough to make it worth it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In the HD trucks they make some sense if you are actually using them to haul large loads on long distances, but not as much benefit as they used to be. When the Cummins or Powerstroke could be had for a couple grand in a 250 or 350 pickup AND they had better fuel economy AND they were pretty reliable, it was an easy purchase. Nowadays it's like a $10,000 option and the fuel economy really isn't that great AND there is more stuff that breaks on them and is expensive to fix when it breaks. ...
I don't know of anyone who relies on a pick-up truck for for income that buys diesel anymore. It would seem based on what I pass on the highway that the heavy-haul couriers still do, but none of the landscapers, farmers, contractors or local delivery guys around me do.

Perhaps the only exception to this is the window tint guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know of anyone who relies on a pick-up truck for for income that buys diesel anymore. It would seem based on what I pass on the highway that the heavy-haul couriers still do, but none of the landscapers, farmers, contractors or local delivery guys around me do.

Perhaps the only exception to this is the window tint guys.
I live in Southern Minnesota and 90% of all Heavy duty trucks that where purchased in the last 15 years are diesel. Regardless of brand.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I live in Southern Minnesota and 90% of all Heavy duty trucks that where purchased in the last 15 years are diesel. Regardless of brand.
Same here (south-east/central Michigan.)

But the vast majority are being used for commuting or leisure (towing the toys or going to country music festivals.)

If you were to isolate the 3/4 and 1 tons with vinyl floors and black plastic grilles used for commercial purposes I'd bet there are more gassers in those fleets than diesels.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I don't know of anyone who relies on a pick-up truck for for income that buys diesel anymore.
I would not. I'll take a Ram 1500 or 2500 with the Hemi any day over the Cummins diesel engine. The V-6 Diesel engine in the 1500 is maybe acceptable.

The Ford 7.3 gasoline engine is great. That's what I'd buy from the blue oval if I needed a HD pickup to haul.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
landscapers, farmers, contractors or local delivery guys around me
None of them are doing any mileage that makes a Diesel engine worth it. The up-front purchase price combined with ongoing expenses means the local jobs they are doing can be done with a gasoline pickup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I took my car into the dealership on Monday and got it back Tuesday because they had to order the parts in. The rattle was definitely a bad timing timing sensor causing pre-detonation. So I am getting that replaced, along with a new egr valve, and front windshield because mine is delaminating. Should be about a 1-2 day fix according to the guy at the dealership and it was all under warranty too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Interesting. No CEL from that malfunction?
Nah, none whatsoever. When my first check engine light came on, I bought a Bluetooth obd2 reader and the only code I was getting was for the carboned up stuck egr valve which is getting replaced as soon as the parts arrive.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I thought when I was researching this engine that the cam chain was upgraded/changed in euro version of the motor - prior to my purchase in 2017. Another person here just posted an engine with 150k miles with no cam chain issue.

My feeling for "my engine knock at startup" was that something was thrown off in the motor where the pilot ignition couldn't work properly. Pilot injection is where a small charge of fuel is injected and ignited to create a smaller ignition event (no knock). This is highly controlled and needs good sensor input (and a properly functioning EGR).

jeff

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nah, none whatsoever.
Weird. You think these engines would have lots of sensors and diagnostic code for knocking just like gasoline engines. I mean, diesel combustion IS knock, but modern designs go to all lengths to decrease NVH. This is something the ECU should flag as a malfunction and illuminate the CEL.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I thought when I was researching this engine that the cam chain was upgraded/changed in euro version of the motor - prior to my purchase in 2017.
When this engine was brought to the USA there were a few technical articles mentioning unspecified changes to meet US emissions. Probably engine tuning for NOx emissions, but I think I remember reading how the glow plugs are ceramic for fast heating and low emissions at cold start. That shouldn't be anything unique to the North American market, because diesel engines sold in Europe need good cold start capability and you think they would try to keep parts the same across most production runs of the engine for economy of scale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought when I was researching this engine that the cam chain was upgraded/changed in euro version of the motor - prior to my purchase in 2017. Another person here just posted an engine with 150k miles with no cam chain issue.

My feeling for "my engine knock at startup" was that something was thrown off in the motor where the pilot ignition couldn't work properly. Pilot injection is where a small charge of fuel is injected and ignited to create a smaller ignition event (no knock). This is highly controlled and needs good sensor input (and a properly functioning EGR).

jeff
According to this thread, in Europe the problem with the chain tensioner extends through model year 2019.
Scroll half way down.
Vauxhall Astra k 1.6cdti loud rattle - Page 9 - Vauxhall Astra K Forums

I would bet the chances of having the problem depend more on the number of cold starts than mileage. That's a problem for me, since I don't do a lot of long drives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you tell if it is coming more from the passenger side? Maybe the belt tensioner?
I've changed dozens of pensioners for what seems like the same problem, they start out by sticking but eventually just freeze up. You can check it by using a 15 spanner pull back on it to see it the retract is smooth of is you can feel resistance.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts