Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have never pulled a set of plugs with deposits like this... never on any vehicle I have ever owned, and I have had plenty dirt bikes, go karts, cars trucks, vans, tractors, lawn mowers... you name it.

Background on my car.

2014 1LT manual, 60,000 miles. oil changes every 7000 miles, car uses about a 1qt of oil between changes. Car gets great mileage 36+ mpg. No coolant loss. I run regular 87octane fuel, Car has had the PVC recall in the last 6 months

Reason for plug change: I noticed a stumble,hesitation on lugging accelerations. Did some Google-fu and found the plug change thread here on CT.

Da plugs!

right to left cylinders 1,2,3,4. Additionally #3 plug was loose, like zero breakaway torque.
Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part Suspension part

So burning oil?

I would have assumed all the plugs would look like the #2 plug?

Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Do you regularly use any fuel additives? These can cause the grey ash seen on the plugs.

After 60k miles they are due for replacing anyways, but it is interesting how the cylinder #2 plug looks so good still.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
That appears to be corrosion.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
They aren't all that bad considering you have 60K miles on them. I have seen much worse in other cars. As others have said, it is time to change them anyway. Personally, I would change them and check them again in 15K miles.

This could be caused by cheap gas. Could also be caused by lots of short drives.

My #3 cylinder plug has come loose several times. I started torquing it about 0.5 lbft tighter and I haven't had a problem yet. I have no idea why it is just the #3 cylinder. Spark plugs that are loose won't transfer heat properly and can overheat. Loose spark plugs can also cause the stumbling you were feeling. Be sure to torque them properly and maybe check them again in 10K miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts