Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago, I completed a drive from Mid-Michigan to around the Kansas City area, (A total of about 750 or so miles) and have noticed that my real life fuel economy (according to the car computer) is around 35-36MPG when going the speed limit of 65-70 the whole way.

I see these posts of people getting 40+MPG in their Cruze LT's and I just don't understand how they can do it, when I struggle to break 36 on the highway.

All things considered though, I am not unhappy in the slightest with my economy as it is now. 35mpg for a car this size and comfort is quite decent.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Were you running regular 87 octane gas? What model cruze do you have? Were you using the AC? How many passengers, any extra cargo? What was the outside temperature and wind like?

Sure all 1LT, 2LT and LTZ have the same 38mpg window sticker hwy rating, but with the extra weight of the bigger wheels and more options I would guess the 2LT and LTZ do get less MPG real world than the 1LT.

My 1LT automatic gets significantly better MPG on premium. When I drive around with 4 passengers I always get less MPG than with my normal 1-2. I also get(according to the DIC) 4-8mpg less running the AC vs not. Also remember its always blind luck the wind will flow in your favor or be slower than 20mph.

At 68-72mph I average 39mpg(pump calculated) with my 1LT on 50F+ days with no AC use and little wind. At that same speed with a 20-30mph headwind I'm around 34mpg pump calculated. This month I have averaged 38.7MPG over 1500 miles, but that's 70% or more hwy with lots of 45-60mph 2 lane roads with few stops. That's also running 91 octane premium 99% of the time.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
88 Supra was always a 30 mpg car driven the speed limits on the highway, in perfect tune, now a 25 mpg car. Not getting the same kind of gas we got even 20 years ago, and only gets top tier, 91 octane, ethanol free gas.

Ha, have kids on this board that haven't been driving for over 60 years stating that fuel economy is poorer on cold days. Take it from a guy that has been around the block a couple of time, cold weather never made a difference for years until more recently.

NOW WE ARE GETTING SEASONAL GAS!!!!

EPA is concerned about the warm up time so adds additives to our gas for cleaner burning. Only needed for the first couple of miles, but on a long trip, sure a waste. In the winter, my miles remaining can be as low as 400, least with summer gas, 630 or even higher. Been like this for the last 15 years or so.

Were after us to put in an electric heater in the catalytic converter back in the late 90's, highly impractical, so started fooling around the the blends. Have to remember, this is a world wide board, mostly in the US, but differences in what part of the country you are from and the EPA has over 155 blends of gas, and now with ethanol, not controlled by the federal EPA, but by states. What a screwed up mess and causing a huge traffic jam in pipe lines.

EPA never needs proof of what they are doing, just go ahead and do whatever brainstorm they happen to get at the time, and the head is always some person that helped the president get elected.

Adding a nickels worth of nichrome wire for an O2 sensor is nothing short of a bad joke with at least 1,400*F of exhaust temperature. Maybe a couple of seconds to get into closed loop mode but more than double the price and more complications and problems. Vehicles start off in open loop mode and have to go through a learn cycle. But if all the tolerances were held tight in all these sensors, there is nothing to learn! Try and get the specifications for these sensors.

Diagnostics are a bad joke, always have been, CEL only comes in with a direct open or short, nothing about what happens in the middle in regards to tolerances.

Got stuck with catalytic converters starting in 1972 that is an after the fact emission control device, and with the O2 sensor, completely worthless until it warms up. Put over 200 KM on many vehicles without burning out the cat, but keeping my vehicles in good tune. When the HEI's first came out, recommended a 65 mil gap in spark plugs, really stupid. That high firing voltage not only was blown out when accelerating, but also caused crossfire. Was gapping mine at 30 mils, was a job to do this right.

Needle point plugs only saves the manufacture money in less platinum or iridium, worthless in the combustion chamber with high tuberlance. Then burning carbon that builds up on that most important center electrode insulation, a direct short to ground. I still clean my plugs every 15-20 K miles. Easy on the Cruze.

Lean burn is out of the question, still need rich mixture to keep things cool or generates NOx's. Problems are also compounded by using exhaust gas recirculation and PCV, all this junk is going back into the combustion chamber even causing more carbon build up. But this is where we are today.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
A few things that will affect MPG as you may know. A slight/moderate head/tail wind can add or subtract 5mpg. I noticed on my '13 1.4LT when the AC is on it cuts about 5 mpg. Just recently I took a 660 mile trip to Mississippi. Keep in mind I've been using 87 octane du eto the cost since I bought my cruze. In Missouri I decided to fill up with 91 octane and noticed a 10% increase in mpg. Yes it was 30 cents more per gallon, roughly 13% more than 87. Added weight, wife/kids ect. Cruise conrtol will help on long trips also.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Keep in mind I've been using 87 octane du eto the cost since I bought my cruze. In Missouri I decided to fill up with 91 octane and noticed a 10% increase in mpg. Yes it was 30 cents more per gallon, roughly 13% more than 87. Added weight, wife/kids ect. Cruise conrtol will help on long trips also.
My average price per gallon lifetime over 60,000 miles was $3.74 cents, this was a mix of midgrade and premium. With our new cheaper gas prices, the most I have paid only running premium this entire year is $3.07 a gallon. My average for 2015 is $2.55 cents a gallon, so $1.19 a gallon cheaper than my long running lifetime average!!!

Everytime I want to run regular I just remember I'm paying less than regular price for the previous 6 years!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
First 20 years of my driving life, was less than 30 cents a gallon, aviation gas was around 20 cents per gallon, wasn't taxed.

What happened?

Bottom line is not the price you pay per gallon, its the cost of gas per mile. Buying the best is the cheapest for me.

Also was a time if you purchased a stock vehicle that burned 87 octane, wouldn't see any improvements at all with fuel economy but putting in 93 octane. Unless you modified the engine with a much higher compression ratio and tuned to for the higher octane.

Can't do this anymore, the computer does this for you.

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Also was a time if you purchased a stock vehicle that burned 87 octane, wouldn't see any improvements at all with fuel economy but putting in 93 octane. Unless you modified the engine with a much higher compression ratio and tuned to for the higher octane.

Can't do this anymore, the computer does this for you.
Small, turbo assisted engines like the 1.4T in the Cruze and Sonic and the Ford EcoBoost engines fit this definition. Thus we all see improvement at 91 vs. 87. The only question is is the improvement sufficient to cover the extra price at the pump.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Bottom line is not the price you pay per gallon, its the cost of gas per mile. Buying the best is the cheapest for me.
My cost per mile is within 1 cent per mile regular vs premium, regular being slightly cheaper. However at at low of cost I will pay the difference. It's not like I'm all of a sudden driving a truck and paying 10-20 cents more per mile to drive it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My new diesel gets that mileage everyday, but anyway as the rest of the posters said, many factors at play. Tire pressures, weight, weather, and hills play the biggest roles, along with proper maintenance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts