Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I have a 2011 Cruze that I bought used and have had for just over a year. I keep the headlights on auto, and lately I've noticed that when I lock the car using the key fob, that the rear brake lights don't turn off. Not sure if it only happens if I hit the lock button twice (that's when the horn beeps).

I've begun not using the auto light setting, and so far I haven't noticed that the lights staying on, but the car seems to always want to have the lights in the auto setting.

Anyone else have this issue or any idea what might be causing it?

Thanks for you help.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,696 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I have a 2011 Cruze that I bought used and have had for just over a year. I keep the headlights on auto, and lately I've noticed that when I lock the car using the key fob, that the rear brake lights don't turn off. Not sure if it only happens if I hit the lock button twice (that's when the horn beeps).

I've begun not using the auto light setting, and so far I haven't noticed that the lights staying on, but the car seems to always want to have the lights in the auto setting.

Anyone else have this issue or any idea what might be causing it?

Thanks for you help.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

When you say they stay on, do you mean for longer than a minute or two?

Look at the owners manual, pages 5-33 and then 5-35

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Aboard!(y)

When you say they stay on, do you mean for longer than a minute or two?

Look at the owners manual, pages 5-33 and then 5-35

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.
Hello, and thank you for the welcome.

Yes, the lights stay on longer than a minute or two. The other day I went to my sister's to drop something off. I was in her house for about 15 minutes and when I came out, the brake lights were still on.

Checking the owner's manual was the first thing that I did, but I couldn't find any help in there, which is why I came here.

As far as introduction, my name is David and I live in Toronto. My Cruze is a 2011 which I got second hand from a family member as they never used it (it has very low mileage). It has issues (all of which my mechanic can or has fixed, but I find this issue perplexing).

Thank you for any help.

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts
Hello, and thank you for the welcome.

Yes, the lights stay on longer than a minute or two. The other day I went to my sister's to drop something off. I was in her house for about 15 minutes and when I came out, the brake lights were still on.

Checking the owner's manual was the first thing that I did, but I couldn't find any help in there, which is why I came here.

As far as introduction, my name is David and I live in Toronto. My Cruze is a 2011 which I got second hand from a family member as they never used it (it has very low mileage). It has issues (all of which my mechanic can or has fixed, but I find this issue perplexing).

Thank you for any help.
Sorry, I forgot the link to the Introduction thread.

Reach down and pull up on the brake pedal. If this turns them off, it is probably the switch on the pedal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Reach down and pull up on the brake pedal. If this turns them off, it is probably the switch on the pedal.
Thanks, I'll give this a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

For whatever reason, the issue didn't happen today. I will try pulling the break pedal whenever it happens again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So it happened again, and I pulled up the brake pedal, and that worked. Thank you for the good advice. I'll get my mechanic to replace position sensor.

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts
So it happened again, and I pulled up the brake pedal, and that worked. Thank you for the good advice. I'll get my mechanic to replace position sensor.
Consider doing it yourself

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Consider doing it yourself
I have to take my car in anyway to fix something else. So it would be easier for me to have them fix this at the same time.

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts
I have to take my car in anyway to fix something else. So it would be easier for me to have them fix this at the same time.
Your choice as it is your money. Make sure you tell us the outcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts