Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Rear Brakes Smoking

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Merc6 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am experiencing a new issue w/ my 2011 Chevy Cruze 2LT - which isn't no surprise to me really honestly. But now getting to the point, the yesterday I am driving along & I pull into a parking lot & get out & notice that my rear wheels smoke was coming out & the smell of burning brake pads. That alarmed me abit - but it cooled down & then I drove home & it didn't do it that time. So its random doing it seems, I am no car savvy person so any advise or if someone else has experienced such issue can give me some information on & what I need to do to resolve it.

& this car is a mess I tell you I have had nothing but trouble out of it to date of buying it new the following issues already occurred :

1). heated seat repaired

2). Tubro Charger replaced twice!!

3). PCV valve cover repaired

Car has a total of 34,000 miles on it & this many issues I really hate to see this car when its around 6 years old!! Shouldn't GM buy this car back under some type of lemon law??

See less See more
#5 ·
Not likely but could be a warped rotor, low brake fluid or your brakes are loose on their mounts. I would also agree your parking brake cable may have issues even though you think it's completely released it may not be. Under 36K take it for warranty!

Sent from iFail Mobile

#7 ·
Is this only covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? As I had the car over 3years, & I only got 34K - If this isn't covered under the powertrain warranty what am I looking at the get this fixed.

I took a look at the brakes on the back & you can see a grayish color on the pads you can see where they have been getting hot. Its a shame & I am about ready to dump this cruze nothing but a headache thus far.

Not likely but could be a warped rotor, low brake fluid or your brakes are loose on their mounts. I would also agree your parking brake cable may have issues even though you think it's completely released it may not be. Under 36K take it for warranty!

Sent from iFail Mobile

#6 ·
Car has a total of 34,000 miles on it & this many issues I really hate to see this car when its around 6 years old!! Shouldn't GM buy this car back under some type of lemon law??
No it has to be related to a safety feature and your mileage is to high. If your turbo was replaced twice why did it go bad, it sounds like you need a better dealer servicing your car.

#9 ·
Misadjusted rear drums or something caught in the drum. Even though your parking brake was all the way down it's possible there is an adjustment issue or something on the drum/pad causing the brake to drag.

#11 ·
Didn't catch it was a 2LT. Rear disc brakes are even more likely to get something caught and cause them to smoke.

#13 ·
Coming from both rear wheels leads to a too tightly adjusted hand brake cable.

#14 ·
The tech working on my car a while back said the earlier Cruze had an issue where you could be 2-3 clicks up on the parking brake before you would get the release parking brake warning message. When I had a 2 LT auto loaner the parking brake was super stiff and was full on in about 5-6 clicks. Under the center console there is a self adjusting device there.

Sent from my iFail 5s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.