Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2011 Cruze LS and of course it has rear drum brakes. Has anybody done a rear disc conversion? If so, how involved is it? I've done this with older cars in the past without problems, just not sure about these newer electronics-based cars, lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
try the search button. i believe that someone was going to try this soon. not sure what the thread is called tho

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah i would be interested in this too ive done this to my honda but seeing that there is more electronics on the cruze oh and will this matter on the ECO model?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Never did a brake disc conversion. I'd imagine to do the whole swap you have to remove the whole rear drum brake assembly and get right down to the hub, and you can then start with putting on the brake disc, caliper, etc

I don't think much has changed with the vehicle braking system in cars today, especially on the cruze.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I think the finally verdict on the drum to disc conversion was that it wasn't worth it cruze has on of the best stopping power one drums are adjusted

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Most of the stopping power comes from the front brakes, so...

I suggest that you powder coat ur drums, since surface rust will appear after 1 year of use and if you want real braking power, change ur pads for higher friction models and if its not enough, then you'll need to do what i did and change the front brakes all together. :)

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Wow, what a resurrected post.

The final consensus was the following:

There are two different types of axles for Cruzes with drum brakes. One has mounting points for drums only, and one has mounting points for both. If you have the one with both, you can do a conversion.

I'm half tempted to create a new thread and sticky it since this keeps being brought up, or resurrected time and time again.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I'm half tempted to create a new thread and sticky it since this keeps being brought up, or resurrected time and time again.
I would love for this to happen. I HATE the pedal feel with drums and it would be cheaper to do a rear disc swap that to trade my car for a 2LT/LTZ. I would also rather use off the shelf GM parts if possible before using some kit.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Wow, what a resurrected post.

My vote is for sticky, I was just searching this topic myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts