Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Rear Left tire cupping

297 11
I have over 100.000 Miles on my 2016 2nd gen Cruze. My Left rear tire has always worn with high spots. I Just had 2 Alignments. 1st a local tire shop, 2nd the Chevy Dealer were I bought the Vehicle.
I was was told there are no Adjustment on the rear of the Vehicle.
Is there a History of rear tire problems with this vehicle?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,107 Posts
I have over 100.000 Miles on my 2016 2nd gen Cruze. My Left rear tire has always worn with high spots. I Just had 2 Alignments. 1st a local tire shop, 2nd the Chevy Dealer were I bought the Vehicle.
I don't think these cars are known for that - how often do you rotate your tires?

· Registered
173 Posts
Does it happen to any wheel/tire placed in the driver rear position or is it the same wheel every time? Have you changed out your shocks/struts? I see so many cars with bad rear shocks where the wheel/tire are straight bouncing down the road like a basketball lol I dont know how you couldn't feel that or see the tire wear. Also, with 100k you could have an out-of-round wheel from hitting potholes.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,869 Posts
I don't think these cars are known for that - how often do you rotate your tires?
My 2nd gen has the most even tire wear I've ever seen from a car I've owned. It's dead even across the tires.

I rotate every 7,500-10,000 mi when I get around to it.

Also, with 100k you could have an out-of-round wheel from hitting potholes
Been there. Yay low-profile tires and big wheels on every vehicle these days.

· Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,056 Posts
Few things...

1) Make sure you ask for a before AND after alignment report showing the actual specs so you can confirm it was adjusted. Rear should be shimmable even if there are no built in adjustments.
2) Make sure tires are being cross-rotated (FWD is fronts to back, cross rear to front). That means the cupped tire will be on the front which will cause rumble, but is necessary to keep tires worn evenly. You could find a tire shop that can 'sipe' the tire which will help a cupped tire but this is a last resort and can cause excessive tire wear. Do not ever sipe brand new tires, it's only useful to fix improperly worn tires (I worked at a shop that sold tire siping, so I know what it does to tires).
3) Make sure the rear suspension is in good shape. But don't let places talk you into replacing components based on mileage. Failed struts will be leaking oil and will not return to position correctly. Unfortunately sometimes this can mean having to pull the strut to test it's ability to return to position. If it cannot return to position correctly this would cause excessive bouncing and cause cupping.

· Registered
4,029 Posts
You don't need to pull the strut.

Just bounce the car.

It's doubtful you'll see an oil leak. Unless you catch it immediately. I don't know what type of oil is used but it dries very quick.

Once in awhile I'll catch a wet shock on the semi. 50 miles later you'll never know it leaked.

· Registered
80 Posts
The rear is a simple shock replacement, not a strut. Also check the balance on that tire. A bad balance can make it cup, but it's gotta be so bad you would definitely feel it.

Reactions: bibu.gm

· Registered
3 Posts
Your problem is the lack of tire rotations. Every 7500 miles, your front tires should be moved straight back, and the backs crossed to the front. You will get the most even tire wear and your tires will last the longest by doing this. Most places where you buy tires offer free rotations.

· Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,231 Posts
Your problem is the lack of tire rotations
Considering the OP will probably never return I won't waste more of my time. However for the other people reading this, rotating your tires do not fix issues. At best it masks issues. Tire rotation is a good thing, most of the time. That said, how would you explain tires wearing just as expected on several vehicles that were NEVER rotated over decades of time?

If you experience tire damage or severe wear you have a problem that should be addressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts