Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Rear Shelf Speakers

25896 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  ChevyGuy
Rear Shelf Speakers?

Moring or Evening all, (Depending on your location on the planet at the time)
I believe it’s time for the next SRi-V addition, and I'd like to add a couple of speakers to the rear shelf. Before I go in all guns blazing, it's time for a little research to see if the Cruze has already been fitted out with an OEM style speaker in that location.
1st question to the to the forum family, does anybody have an LT/LTZ withspeakers in that area? (OEM, not an aftermarket fitment)
Looking at the sub frame work of the SRi-V, it seems to have speaker locations added as part of the material stamping process. Hence the thought that there may be model versions running around with them fitted.
Vehicle Automotive exterior Electronics Auto part Car

2nd For the guys who have done aftermarket installs, did you remove the rear shelftrim? If so any tricks to its removal..
Any thoughts or guidance appreciated..
Cheers Mark
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The North American Cruze's Pioneer sound system has a pair of speakers there.

· Premium Member
2,480 Posts
The North American Cruze's Panasonic sound system has a pair of speakers there.
Pioneer. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks gentlemen, I thought that may be the case.
I believe the 2012 SRi-V is fitted with the Pioneer system; however there is no branding on the speakers.
Holden must have had a budget cut that week!

If anybody has pics of the Pioneer system speakers on the rear shelf, I'd like to see what GM installed and if possible, where the wire harness is running in the trunk.
Looking at the cutouts, I assume they will be 6X9".
I'll now look for any remanence of an audio wiring harness down the back to see if we are wired for but no fitted with, as seems to be the case in Australia with our versions.

Cheers
Mark

· Premium Member
2,480 Posts
I believe the 2012 SRi-V is fitted with the Pioneer system; however there is no branding on the speakers.

If anybody has pics of the Pioneer system speakers on the rear shelf, I'd like to see what GM installed and if possible, where the wire harness is running in the trunk.
I'll now look for any remanence of an audio wiring harness down the back to see if we are wired for but no fitted with, as seems to be the case in Australia with our versions.

Cheers
Mark
They are 6x9" subwoofers, yes. As for being harness ready, I doubt they're there, but I guess you never know.

Keep is posted with what you find.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
233 Posts

Cheers
Mark
Here you go:

Attachments

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Looking at GMPartsDirect there is a different rear deck as well. It has speaker holes. There are also covers available.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cruzers
Thanks for the pics. When you have a moment could you please advise on the color code of both wiring looms.
RH looks like purple and green, LH not sure from the pic.

When I know the wiring codes I'm searching for, will advise if the car has a connection point or not at the back end.
Cheers
Mark

· Registered
233 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
G'Day all
A little assistance is required to determine what model of pioneer 6 X 9" speaker GM fitted to the vehicle on the back shelf in the US.
I'll try and match the same OEM look, so if you know the Pioneer part number or have a pic of the top of the speaker, I'll have a hunt around in Aus for a close match.

Cheers
Mark

· Registered
141 Posts
This is an old thread....but maybe someone can help me. If I add the rear shelf speakers do I have to disconnect the back door speakers? A friend said I have to because the sound system wont take it
You could leave them both connected but the sound, power, and audio quality output would be crap. The factory radio only pushes 8-15 watts rms to 4 speakers. Cutting that power in half for the rear would kill your sound quality and probably your radio over time. Just buy a small 2 channel amp, a line out (adds rca to your factory radio), and hook them up that way. Its not that hard and the sound quality and speaker output would be tremendous vs trying to run it off the factory radio.

· Premium Member
7,546 Posts
If I add the rear shelf speakers do I have to disconnect the back door speakers? A friend said I have to because the sound system wont take it
Depends on how you connect it. If you just connect them in parallel, yeah, you could blow the radio's amp. You could connect them in series, but then the volume takes a dive. If you use a add-in amp to drive them, then you should be alright.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.