Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... so this is going to be a noob question. I got under the car over the weekend, thinking I'd locate the stock sway and replace that with the new sway bar. Except... I didn't see anything that looked like a sway bar. I saw the support where the new whiteline sway bar mounts to... but didn't see the old one that I need to take off. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I didn't want to just start ripping things off if I didn't know what I was taking off.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
We do not have a rear sway bar on our cars.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
well then i guess upgrading the sway bar would mean adding it to start

Reactions: jdubb11

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
where are you buying your sway bar from?

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump. Anyone who has installed them have pointers? The Whiteline documentation says, to uninstall the stock sway bar links, and put on the new ones. But there are no stock sway bar links. Where do hook the links into the suspension?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
look a bit complicated... best to install while on the floor i imagine

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Bump. Anyone who has installed them have pointers? The Whiteline documentation says, to uninstall the stock sway bar links, and put on the new ones. But there are no stock sway bar links. Where do hook the links into the suspension?
http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/install_guides/Z5146_Z5160_Z5192.pdf

Is this the installation guide you used. Scroll down there is installation guide on the rear sway bar.

1. Raise the vehicle evenly and support with jack
stands then remove rear wheels.

2. Remove the 2 inner beam axle mounting
bolts on either side of the vehicle
assemble the swaybar link
mount placing the supplied 20mm (thick)
crushtubes between the beam axle mount
and the supplied swaybar link mount (spacing
the supplied bracket away from the floorpan)
using the supplied 90mm long bolts.

3.Place the supplied U bolts over the suspension
beam axle, then secure the swaybar loosely
using the supplied flat plates, urethane
bushing’s, bushing saddles and supplied nuts
Ensure the internal bore of the bushing’s are
greased liberally and distance between the
inside of the urethane bushings is
approximately 605mm.
4. Mount swaybar links in place making sure the
supplied small washers are between the nuts
and the swaybar. Ensure the swaybar links
are mounted into the softest hole on the
swaybar until you are
accustomised to the change in the vehicles
suspension characteristics.

5. Ensure all mounting nuts and bolts are tight
and secure before lowering vehicle down from
jack stands and test driving.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
The rear sway bar kit comea with a mounting braket and mounts to the two bolts in the picture sorry for being black and white.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
yeah i read throgh the directions after seeing all the parts laid out. sorry about that dumb comment

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
so inorder to mount the sway bar, you romve those bolts, put sway bar mounts on then re install bolts?.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
so inorder to mount the sway bar, you romve those bolts, put sway bar mounts on then re install bolts?.
From what I see yes because we don't have a sway bar already we have to add the mount. Its well worth it a sway bar is very handy I will be getting it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
whats more affective a rear sway bar with a tower strut (rear)

or

a rear lower bar and a tower strut (rear)

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
whats more affective a rear sway bar with a tower strut (rear)

or

a rear lower bar and a tower strut (rear)
A sway bar will have a "bigger" effect then any Chassis stiffening Bars, because its directly connected to the suspension and modify its flexibility.

Personaly, thats why i went with the UR bars first, since i liked the way the stock suspension was working, then i installed Coil-overs and maybe in the futur, i'll go for a Sway bar or 2. :)

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
grea thanks guys. that what my plan was. go do the UR struts first then see if i want to add anything from there.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
A sway bar will have a "bigger" effect then any Chassis stiffening Bars, because its directly connected to the suspension and modify its flexibility.
I would say that a sway bay would be better especially if you are planning on autocrossing. The chassis braces/tower bars with the sway bar would be even better for tracking or autocrossing. I am very satisfied with the tower bars and chassis braces - the car feels way more solid than stock and is more responsive to steering inputs. Personally, I have no plans to add a rear sway bar.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.