Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed today that the screws for the lights (which illuminate my rear license plate) are rusting and discoloring the plastic coating in front of the lights.

Has anyone else had this happen? Ok, maybe I'm a bit picky but I will probably get it fixed none the less.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should probably mention that I've had my car for about 6 months now, with almost 9k kms, but still.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I know this probably sounds a bit over the top, but when I get a new car, I go all around it and coat any exposed fasteners with a bit of Rust Stop. I use a small artist's brush and just coat the fastener. The stuff dries clear if there is no corrosion and will keep those cadmium plated screws and bolts from rusting for a long time.

Jim
Thanks for the tip Jim, I might try that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...just went and checked the wifes' LTZ and all four screws are bright and shiny, like SS (but I'm not 100% sure).

...of course, this is sandy Arid-Zona, not Snow-land Canada.
Lol.

I think I might give the dealer a call and see if I can book the car in next weekend. I know its nothing and I can replace them myself, but it's under warranty, I might as well take advantage of it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just to update on this, I finally took my car in the other day, dealer has two new lights ordered for me. They're not just replacing the screws.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I am having the exact same issue. One of the two license plate light cover screws have rusted. What could be causing this? I have a 2011 Cruze LT with RS package.

I am thinking water might go through the spoiler fixation holes and into the light covers. I am worried rust will spread more on long term.

Thank you for any comments!
Not sure, but mine doesn't have a spoiler and had the same issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.