Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I washed my car last week and I noticed one of my license plate light bolts is corroding. The other looks like new. I will be 'requesting' a new bolt at my next service.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yeah, I can see that its annoying. How much more would it cost to use screws that don't rust?
Some may not think that is a location with rust issues, but it is. This past winter my trunk handle area was always coated with road salt.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My VW Jetta's were like that; I was somewhat surprised. But I figure that since Murphy's Law applies to me pretty strictly, every bolt/nut/screw I try to remove will be rusted. Maybe it ain't just me. :p

Reactions: Chris2298

·
Registered
389 Posts
Anybody have a parts listing that shows the size of those? I would like to order some stainless steel ones if possible.

·
Registered
207 Posts
same problem on my wife's cruze. the screws should be stainless. the lenses also has the "rust oxide" on them from the screwa rusting. screws probably made in china.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One screw is rusting on the license plate lights and one wiper is rusting and the paint on it has lifted a little too ... :eek:

I'm going this Wednesday to have the suspension crunching noise and steering wheel swooshing noise fixed (hopefully)(2nd time I'm going for that, I hope it's the last) and will show them the rust ...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just to update on this, I finally took my car in the other day, dealer has two new lights ordered for me. They're not just replacing the screws.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Just to update on this, I finally took my car in the other day, dealer has two new lights ordered for me. They're not just replacing the screws.
I'd say that's great customer support!

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I am having the exact same issue. One of the two license plate light cover screws have rusted. What could be causing this? I have a 2011 Cruze LT with RS package.

I am thinking water might go through the spoiler fixation holes and into the light covers. I am worried rust will spread more on long term.

Thank you for any comments!

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I am having the exact same issue. One of the two license plate light cover screws have rusted. What could be causing this? I have a 2011 Cruze LT with RS package.

I am thinking water might go through the spoiler fixation holes and into the light covers. I am worried rust will spread more on long term.

Not sure, but mine doesn't have a spoiler and had the same issue.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

gt_cristian,
Have you taken your Cruze into your dealer to have them look into this for you? They should be able to assist you with this concern. Please keep me posted and if you have any other questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Hi Stacy,
Yes I did take it to the dealer to replace those screws but in the end they forgot to do this repair. I will get back to them when I'll do my oil change.

They did the gas tank recall, modified my coolant tank and replaced a bad speaker. I also asked them to look at the A/C which is making a noise (louder then the engine at idle) from time to time when ON or OFF.

Auto part Engine Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi Stacy,
Yes I did take it to the dealer to replace those screws but in the end they forgot to do this repair. I will get back to them when I'll do my oil change.

They did the gas tank recall, modified my coolant tank and replaced a bad speaker. I also asked them to look at the A/C which is making a noise (louder then the engine at idle) from time to time when ON or OFF.

View attachment 6715

gt_cristian,
Thank you for the update on your concerns. I would like you to continue to keep me posted on this concern. If you have any other questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi VictoryRed08,

I noticed the same thing after the winter with mine (after 9 months of owning the car). Got some new Stainless Steel screws and they are still good with no signs or dulling or discolouring. I would replace the screws in the new lights the dealer is getting for you with SS to prevent the discolouration from happening again. The screws used are the same kind as the ones used for the license plates and the will corrode in our Canadian winters.

Noticing that our shinny lug nuts on my wheels (16" 5 spoke) are dull and spotting. I should probably get those replaced with some lockers and ust keep the original ones for my winter wheels. Gotta love salt, sand and whatever else they put on the roads to help us drivers lol.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.