Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing cars that won't hold above 180 psi on the high. You drain and measure the drain down. You end up with 75% of underhood label capacity.
Create the vacuum. Using the underhood label for capacity. Recharge with a scale. A full charge clocks in at 240 - 275 psi on the high side.
End of summer comes along and ac is back to where it was at the beginning of summer. A HUMIDIFIER. And 180 on the hi side. 75% charge.

Our brand new gen 2's do it. The older gen 1's do it. My 14 hyundai was purchased new and needed freon twice a summer. My uncle has a 10 dodge truck also purchased new. So, the car doesn't matter. Nor does the year. As even brand new vehicles are doing it.
Not ALL vehicles however. My sons 16 mazda is 1 year ownership and still holding full charge measured by scale and pressure of 275 psi hi side.

Don't say OVERCHARGED. They're all charged to capacity according to the underhood label.
Don't say leaking. The leakage stops at 75% and will hold till whenever.

I have scale so charge is accurate. I have recovery machine which also measures drawdown so I know exactly how much drains out. I use 30 lb cylinders with the scale and not cans. I have ALL the equipment there is to have to do a professional job. I"m REcertified with the new license needed and been doing ac since the days of R12. Long before 134 was even considered a number. So i know EXACTLY what I"m doing.

So, what's the reason todays cars won't hold above 75% charge. You've got a underhood label. It tells you the capacity. Yet some cars won't hold capacity.

Is there some new thing I"m not aware of yet?

I retired from wrenching 18 years ago so I don't keep up with training classes. There's enough school on this forum. :)

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,537 Posts
Variable displacement compressors?

Not sure why you're always adding refrigerant to them. My Cruze cools perfectly fine on the factory charge. Our 05 Jeep still holds the factory charge and is within spec. Had to add 1/2 a can to the 07 Honda. Those two, you are able to fill with high/low side manifold gauges.

Our '10 Jetta currently has a displacement solenoid going bad that cause it to show erratic readings on the high/low side and will only really engage the A/C system once you hit 3K RPM the first time of the day. It, too, is still just fine on the factory charge, though we will evacuate & recharge it next summer when the stupid solenoid gets replaced.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem seems to be with cars built in the current decade. And it's not all brands.

My car blows cold too. But not 42 degrees like I had it all summer. It's up to 48 now.

Are imports using variable?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts