Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yep, the 2018, and apparently NOT the 2017. I had mine in for them to look at the P059F code for the active grille shutters that came and went on it's own, and they informed me of this recall. It's a ECM reprogram to cover the apparent issue of frequent regens not throwing a MIL as they apparantly should. I've only driven about 20 miles since it was done, and noticed no change, but oddly it now shows my ODO as the distance since last Regen.. but still 55 regens for count. I'll have to get the other 2018 in there to have it done sometime as well, it's showing for both my 2018s, but not on the 2017... I wonder what programming changed from 2017 to 2018 that it would affect one year and not the other?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I got this this morning and it is of great interest and some concern for me, as someone who has had frequent regenerations for over a year and been repeatedly dismissed by dealers and GM because I didn't have a CEL. Now, it could be that the software update wouldn't consider my regens to be "too frequent", so I really want to know how it defines frequent. I wonder if it takes into account driving style at all? A regen after 100 miles in NYC may not be too frequent but after 100 miles at 65 mph on perfect highway would. MRO1791, that is odd that it wiped your "distance since last regen" count. I absolutely know that something wiped by total regen count when I had my turbo replaced and that was another thing the dealer pretty much stomped on me for suggesting (never mind the major math problems that appeared between the total regens and average distance between ... the one guy told me I didn't understand how averages work ... that might have been my favorite).
I will be interested to hear what, if anything, folks notice different after getting this done. I'm scared it's going to cause unrelated problems like whack my fuel economy, though I think that is just paranoia from recall horror stories across the modern car world. The real fear is that if the software change recognizes my problem, that is all it will do; it won't fix the problem. The dealers might still not be able to fix it and might start throwing new engines in there.
I'd love for this to result in my car getting fixed, or, just not change anything, in which case I would assume my regen rate isn't in whatever the "danger zone" is. But there are a whole lot of in between outcomes I'm worried about. I'm considering finding a third dealer to do it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yep, the 2018, and apparently NOT the 2017. I had mine in for them to look at the P059F code for the active grille shutters that came and went on it's own, and they informed me of this recall. It's a ECM reprogram to cover the apparent issue of frequent regens not throwing a MIL as they apparantly should. I've only driven about 20 miles since it was done, and noticed no change, but oddly it now shows my ODO as the distance since last Regen.. but still 55 regens for count. I'll have to get the other 2018 in there to have it done sometime as well, it's showing for both my 2018s, but not on the 2017... I wonder what programming changed from 2017 to 2018 that it would affect one year and not the other?
Weren't the 2017s subject to an earlier emission related recall? I don't think it was this exactly, but maybe there was some gap between that recall and the software they were putting in new cars at the time that something got left out.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Weren't the 2017s subject to an earlier emission related recall? I don't think it was this exactly, but maybe there was some gap between that recall and the software they were putting in new cars at the time that something got left out.
I'll have to go back an look, but yes, the 2017 did have a prior ECM program recall, but I'm pretty sure it was not this same issue, rather some other issue.. but perhaps it fixed both and somehow they did not notice the issue on 2018? I guess never underestimate the ability of incompetence to exist, just when you think it can't be worse, someone will prove that yes, it can be!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I did just see someone posted a more detailed recall notice on the Colorado forum that does says for the new software, the frequency of regenerations is judged on operating conditions. The last time I had all my data pulled at GM, I was at 97% soot load per DPF sensor and 31% soot load estimated by driving conditions. I'm guessing that's gonna trip it if anything does. We'll see.

EDIT: Actually looks like a couple folks have had the same issues with their trucks that I have ... frequent regens + "no CEL, no problem" ... no answers yet of course as they are all getting this at the same time as us.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the same recall notice for my 2018 Cruze and my 2019 Colorado. The notice spells out for model year 2019 and yet it applies to my 2018 Cruze. I do not recall ever getting a notice in the mail from GM on both of these recalls.
Communication is paramount.
Unfortunately GM lacks good customer service when handling these important issues.

·
Registered
515 Posts
So, what did GM change that all of the medium diesel engines are not equally affected?

What is different in the ECU tuning that my 2018 model is not affected?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oh, nice. I just went through the phone app and the recall is listed for my vehicle. The recall says 2019 model year vehicles but my car is a 2018.
Yeah doesn't do a lot for my faith that they can't even describe the recall correctly. I wonder what the cutoff is though, because my car was built in late March/early April 2018 so that's fairly close to the 2019 model year start (I think would be June or July 2018, right?). I have to imagine the recall picks up where the last emission recall stopped, but that's fishy too ... i.e., they had to know about this issue enough that the 2017s were already updated and they just sort of forgot to add it to the newer cars?? Unless the 2017s are eventually getting this recall too.

I love these cars and even love the concept of the emissions system ... it is comfortable, reliable, super easy to drive, etc. But the tradeoff is how ridiculously complex it is when something goes wrong ... well, I don't think the technology behind it is that complex but the fact that you've got all this sort of ... red tape ... to find out what's wrong or fix it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I'm curious, has anyone actually gotten a letter in the mail or an email about this? That is something else I find weird. If I didn't use my app I'd never know. Nothing on NHTSA database either, though maybe that is limited to safety recalls.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I ran my VIN on GMs recall website and it shows the recall worded the same as in the Chevrolet app even though my Cruze production date was May 2018. When I ran my VIN on the DOT.GOV recall site the recall was not listed. Maybe only safety recalls are on the DOT.GOV site. Either way I'm not concerned over it. I'll get it done when ever I make time to visit the dealer.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
So I'm curious, has anyone actually gotten a letter in the mail or an email about this? That is something else I find weird. If I didn't use my app I'd never know. Nothing on NHTSA database either, though maybe that is limited to safety recalls.
I received a letter in the mail over a month ago, but that is GM Canada.

·
Registered
176 Posts
No I did not on either vehicle I own.
2018 cruze and 2019 Colorado.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I haven't seen a thing come to my mailbox. Thanks to you all for alerting me to it!

Sent from my SM-N9700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just stopped at the local dealership today. My phone app lists a recall date of 11/22/2019 but the service writer said "This recall just came out 5 days ago" so there is a time difference there that probably doesn't matter other than GM being lazy about pushing the recall out to the dealerships. The service writer did confirm my 2018 is in the recall and when I asked about potential 2017 models (basically, all Chevy Cruze Gen2 diesel cars) he said "Probably."

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just stopped at the local dealership today. My phone app lists a recall date of 11/22/2019 but the service writer said "This recall just came out 5 days ago" so there is a time difference there that probably doesn't matter other than GM being lazy about pushing the recall out to the dealerships. The service writer did confirm my 2018 is in the recall and when I asked about potential 2017 models (basically, all Chevy Cruze Gen2 diesel cars) he said "Probably."
Interesting. It does seem like the Canadians got it quite a bit before we did, especially looking at the Colorado forum. I do remember someone saying when they first got the notice that it said the software wasn't ready and they would be alerted when it was. Maybe they waited until the software was ready to tell us Americans.

Guess I'm going to bite the bullet on this soon. If it does throw a CEL I have to be prepared for the inconvenience of not having my car for a while or having to take it in and out of there constantly until they figure it out, and there's no good time for that. But no sense putting off something that could potentially help the car.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts