Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.6 L TD 9T50
29 Posts
Got the flash done this morning. Wiped a lot of the ECM history with regards to regens, except regen count. After picking up the car, it immediately performed a regen while showing over 90% soot. The car was at 50-60% when I dropped it off. I assume this false soot value was part of the flash, to force a regen afterwards and give the system a fresh start point. After the regen everything seemed to return to normal. My regen count is now 102 at a little over 80,000 miles, which is knocking the door of the max distance one can go between regens. My average distance between regens before the flash was 1275 km, which i think is max distance before a regen is forced. This value is now reset, will update if atypical numbers or events emerge. A side note, I drive an absurd amount of almost exclusively highway miles with this car, which is as ideal as possible for these new emissions systems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My car has never had a regen since I've owned it. None of my diesel vehicles have done that I've aware of have or had a 2016 Colorado with the 2.8l Duramax, currently the Cruze and a 2019 2500HD. I guess I'm just lucky.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My car has never had a regen since I've owned it. None of my diesel vehicles have done that I've aware of have or had a 2016 Colorado with the 2.8l Duramax, currently the Cruze and a 2019 2500HD. I guess I'm just lucky.
How do you know that? Unless you’re really REALLY paying attention, I don’t even notice my car regen. If I’m on the highway it goes for about 5 mins and that’s it. Once every two weeks maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Even if it doesn't hit 100% soot it will still do a regen after a certain amount of miles. If it never did one that would definitely be a problem. It doesn't tell you when it's doing one, so one can definitely sneak by without notice. I have no idea how many regens mine did in the first six months I had it; I only noticed it when it started doing them crazy frequently, and since the crazy frequency has continued for over a year, I can now identify them wayyyyy too easily. Even so on the highway if I didn't keep an eye on fuel economy, I wouldn't know it's doing one, and they take like 7-8 minutes so easy to miss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you know that? Unless you’re really REALLY paying attention, I don’t even notice my car regen. If I’m on the highway it goes for about 5 mins and that’s it. Once every two weeks maybe

From comments from others here, I was under the impression it would appear on the Driver Information Console. I guess that's not correct. My dealer told me it was also based on your driving. Those doing more city (stop and go) driving would definitely experience more regens than those who get up to highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,190 Posts
From comments from others here, I was under the impression it would appear on the Driver Information Console. I guess that's not correct. My dealer told me it was also based on your driving. Those doing more city (stop and go) driving would definitely experience more regens than those who get up to highway speeds.
North American models do not show when the vehicle is undergoing a regen. If your vehicle didn't regen, the particulate filter would completely clog up with soot and your engine would cease to run.

But yes, regens are required more often if more city driving is done, as it produces more soot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
North American models do not show when the vehicle is undergoing a regen. If your vehicle didn't regen, the particulate filter would completely clog up with soot and your engine would cease to run.

But yes, regens are required more often if more city driving is done, as it produces more soot.
Thanks for educating me on how the regen process works. (This is not meant to be sarcasm)

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
Not a problem!

Models outside North America actually have a regen light, I do believe. I wish they would have activated that light here (it is in the cluster, it's just not used), as it could be extremely helpful to know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Some of our comments might be confusing because a few folks use an aftermarket gauge that tells us when it is doing a regen (a ScanGauge II or a bluetooth OBDII reader with TorquePro and BiScan apps). So when you see a user talking about seeing a regen start or in progress they are probably referring to the external gauge. I agree with MP81 that I wish it were just built into the DIC. Though not too crucial if you aren't having problems, it is nice to know if you are in the middle of one so you can avoid stopping the process if possible. Frequent regens are also a window into a potential problem, which is why it would be good for an owner to be able to see patterns. I hate to say it but I think that is why GM doesn't want owners to know when they are happening. They can't and won't fix the issue if it does them too frequently. I know this because I am an exception to the "based on your driving" rule because my car does them every ~100-200 miles even with frequent highway use (it once did one after 73 miles of solid highway driving). I've been trying to get this diagnosed for over a year and GM has been impossible. The recall is just a CYA so GM can tell the EPA that they have a measure in place to ensure it isn't malfunctioning. Bottom line is they don't care if two people drive exactly the same and one goes 800 miles between regens and the other goes 100 miles between regens. As long as those people are blind to it, GM doesn't get called out on it.
Anyway, my personal rant aside, if you've never noticed one happening, your vehicles are probably doing well. But one of the above-mentioned aftermarket gauges can be nice to have to get an overview of where your regen behavior is. There are also ways to tell by feel or other measures. The most obvious is if you shut the engine off during a regen, the cooling fan stays on and you can hear it. If you are on the highway when one is happening, your fuel economy will go way down for the duration of the regen and it is very noticable if you watch the economy tracker on the DIC (since the regen process uses extra fuel to heat the exhaust gases). If it's cold and you stop at an intersection, you might get little rpm "bumps" at idle, while the car tries to keep exhaust temps from dropping too much while you're stopping. It also gets a subtle boggy feeling and a little different throttle response ... that is hard to really detect but if you get them every day or every other day like I was all summer, you'd start to know the feel.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not a problem!

Models outside North America actually have a regen light, I do believe. I wish they would have activated that light here (it is in the cluster, it's just not used), as it could be extremely helpful to know.
Out in the rest of the world, that light starts flashing when there have been three failures to complete a regeneration.

If you don't complete a regeneration then, it stays on, to indicate that your DPF is stuffed and you need to take the car to a competent mechanic.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Out in the rest of the world, that light starts flashing when there have been three failures to complete a regeneration.

If you don't complete a regeneration then, it stays on, to indicate that your DPF is stuffed and you need to take the car to a competent mechanic.
And sometimes finding a competent mechanic is nearly next to impossible, as it’s been in my quest of ownership so far

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts

Ahh ok, so then it's similar to ours in that you don't get a light going on when it is performing one - that is something I'd like to see.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts