Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Im a new owner of 2016 LS and I have asthma, need recirculate to keep outside odors from coming in heavily, My trade in (toyota yaris) was great on recirc setting no major odors. Today we had it on recirc a/c and it pulled in mowing odors and others easily. So any ideas? May not be related but Id like to verify I do indeed have a cabin air filter but according to the dealer my LS does not have one behind glove box, he said I wont be able to get to it?
How does one get it? thanks!!

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Recirculate will not stop all outside air by design. Imagine if you had an exhaust leak, as you drove it could fill the cabin and kill you. Not sure if yours in the all new gen2 Cruze or the first generation 2016 cruze limited? not sure what part number the new cruze uses, I would recommend upgrading to a cabin filter with active charcoal, it greatly reduced outside smells.

For the 2011-2016(limited) the ACdelco CF184 fits perfectly as a carbon filter replacement.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Yeah some Cars actually are set up for a cabin air filter yet don't put them in, never understood that. Your CRUZE is new and will be doing a bit of off gassing from the engine and interior. I bought new Furniture almost two years ago from China built to California standards and the fumes are still killing me. Getting back to your CRUZE, do you live in a smelly area? Is there a reason you are driving in the recirculate mode, I never use that mode preferring fresh clean air instead. My last Car and some CRUZES have the AQS system and I really enjoyed it. While it doesn't clean anything it would automatically go into recirculate when it smelled a Truck or other pollutants. You would hear and see it working, a neat feature. However the CRUZE is still going to pull in outside odors and I would opt for fresh air over recirculate especially while your car is new!

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm not sure about Gen2, but the Gen1 Cruze could have the doors get out of sync and doors aren't in the position commanded. It requires resetting the HVAC computer.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Correct, recir still take in about 20% outside air to prevent CO build up.

Can do a google search:

"Manufacturers of auto carbon cabin air filters"

And will find many options, good question as to which one is best.

We had this one in our Cruze;

But if you go to rockauto.com, have a choice of nine different models in the 7-31 buck range, all claim to be the best, as does

TYC Genera | Cabin Air Filters

That is the cheapest, take your choice. See our Walmart store is selling Fram carbon air filters now as many other auto suppliers. Would think they could come up with a standard size, but that "standard" word is history now.

Have to get on the net to find the correct part number for your vehicle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the input, thing is my cruze has a glove box that is fully molded in cant be removed at least not by me. It does not have the plugs to remove or the cord for the arm. The dealer mechanic said its not a removable box and the cabin filter slot is something they'd have to do for me. This was before I smelled stuff. Does anyone know where it is and how to view it in the 2016 LS cruze manual turbo? I sure hope its in there but, I guess it wouldnt affect the outside vent thing anyway.
Today we took it out and did not notice any fumes on highway but what came in was grass smells from mowers that first day...Im hoping it was a fluke.
This would be a pia for me because of my serious asthma and allergies...guess it depends where you drive and your health status...but for me locally people burn a lot and there is farming manure odors etc..its really hard if I cant shut it out like I did in my yaris.
Not being able to get to the cabin filter slot to check for it, is irritating...we never had to take the toyota to the dealer to do basic things. They charge a fortune. But I really do like the car a lot. Hoping like heck this passes and was a fluke.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Do you have a gen 1 or gen 2 Cruze. All Gen 1 Cruze have a end user replaceable cabin air filter. You just need to remove the glove box per the instructions in the link spacedout posted.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Do you have a gen 1 or gen 2 Cruze.
Help us out. There are two completely different cars that can be called a "2016 Cruze LS". I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. One is a left-over 2015 with a newer build date, the other is a complete "refresh".

Reactions: spacedout

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure took vehicle manufacturers long enough to add a cabin air filter, would view the squirrel cage blower wheel as a leave chopper, and the face of the evaporator as the filter. Debris would pile up like crazy restricting air flow, but would also plug the evaporator drain so your passenger would have their feet in 2" of water.

Only access to this was to remove the blower motor, ha worse car for this was my 70 Buick Riviera. To this had to remove the right fender first, but first the front bumper just to clean that mess up.

So how did the 2nd generation Cruze change. prior could remove the entire glove compartment, and would use a clip lead for that fish line or would never find it again.

This is the best I could find, youtube is ancient history, #4 is the filter box, #6 is the filter. Best way to find this is to look.

Ha, my daughter was told by her Kia dealer only they can replace her cabin air filter, to save her a hundred mile trip, said let me look at it first. Opened the glove compartment door and saw a rectangular plastic piece with two squeeze tabs on it. Two seconds later I had her filter out, my trick was using a flashlight, dark in there.

Showed her the filter, had two dead flies on the top of it and just some small debris, with a quick vacuuming, looked like new again so slapped it back in. More than likely saved her 50 bucks. Also showed her where she could buy a carbon for $9.50 with free shipping, but up to her to order it. Heck I will only charge you ten bucks to install it.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Sure took vehicle manufacturers long enough to add a cabin air filter, would view the squirrel cage blower wheel as a leave chopper, and the face of the evaporator as the filter. Debris would pile up like crazy restricting air flow, but would also plug the evaporator drain so your passenger would have their feet in 2" of water.

Only access to this was to remove the blower motor, ha worse car for this was my 70 Buick Riviera. To this had to remove the right fender first, but first the front bumper just to clean that mess up.

So how did the 2nd generation Cruze change. prior could remove the entire glove compartment, and would use a clip lead for that fish line or would never find it again.

This is the best I could find, youtube is ancient history, #4 is the filter box, #6 is the filter. Best way to find this is to look.

Ha, my daughter was told by her Kia dealer only they can replace her cabin air filter, to save her a hundred mile trip, said let me look at it first. Opened the glove compartment door and saw a rectangular plastic piece with two squeeze tabs on it. Two seconds later I had her filter out, my trick was using a flashlight, dark in there.

Showed her the filter, had two dead flies on the top of it and just some small debris, with a quick vacuuming, looked like new again so slapped it back in. More than likely saved her 50 bucks. Also showed her where she could buy a carbon for $9.50 with free shipping, but up to her to order it. Heck I will only charge you ten bucks to install it.
I suspect the gen 2 Cruze is the same way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Help us out. There are two completely different cars that can be called a "2016 Cruze LS". I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. One is a left-over 2015 with a newer build date, the other is a complete "refresh".
Ummm I dont know how to help you out..thats all I have but a vin. We bought it this week ...maybe I will take a photo of inside of box when its sunny out. The box has no pinch clips or fish line thing. I used to change the filter in our toyota yaris all the time Im very familiar w/ the process. This box has a few square entirely empty holes and thats kind of it, its molded in like it does not come out, a tech at the dealer looked in it when I asked about it on car pick up and he said oh its molded in...(he was gonna show me the clips). Ticks me off but I guess Im stuck w/ it. I can put up a pick of the car too if it helps.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Ummm I dont know how to help you out..thats all I have but a vin. We bought it this week.
It would be helpful if you had a picture of your car, it really sounds like you have the all new Gen2 2016 Cruze. I have not seen a gen1 (2011-2016)that doesn't have the glovebox like I showed on the above post. I cant imagine there is not a cabin filter on your car, it may even be located somewhere else entirely.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Job security? Some mechanics won't even tell you are to unscrew a gas cap like its some highly classified top secret material.

Others if you ask them what time it is will go into great detail on how a clock works.

Could try an outside source, like NAPA, Autozone, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly's, Carquest that sell cabin filters and may find a lot of free help as to how to replace them.

Sounds like you talked to a mechanic that has no idea how to replace this cabin filter so gave you a line of BS.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I will get a photo of my car and glove box soon been busy and need to get it when light out. I own the 16 ls car in metallic blue w/ 1.4 L variable valve timing dohc 4 cyl engine my car is manual turbo per sticker came on car. Im inc 'd a stock photo from the net that fits my car body till I take a photo of it.
I do appreciate your assist since I am still having heavy lawn mowing odors come in, its so strong its like a window is open. Of course its always next to us when we go by or stop, not noticing fumes tho'. Again an issue because one of us has asthma and allergies. Silver Ice Metallic-GAN-193,194,198Black Granite Metallic-GAR-6,6,6-640-en_US.jpg

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Rear garage was getting too full, not even sure why I was keeping my 1970 Lawn Boy, still ran well, but was two cycle that are inherently oil burners. Darn near had to wear a WW I gas mask when using that darn thing.

So I hooked up the grass catcher, found the spare blade and pushed it to the front of my driveway, with a sign on it.

I am free, runs good, but if you take it, can't bring it back. It was gone in less then 20 minutes, have no idea who took it.

These new Honda's with a four cycle engine run so much cleaner, especially with synthetic oil, no problem with these.

When I was 30, the victim of a so-called chemical accident, knocked me out for a week, but developed what they call multiple chemical sensitivities. Just saying, have an idea what you are talking about.

Was just cleaning the inside of my windshield, only a month old and has an oil film on it. Also after a carbon filter, but this thing is so new, can't even find a fit for it, so just living with paper for now.

I don't want to think about the oil in my lungs

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
cruze avatar forum.jpg cruze g box 3.jpg
My cruze and glove box, no string on right side box or clips to pull. Those darn odors still come in from passing things like lawn mowers running etc...Tho' we dont smell fumes from cars. I can hear the recirc button working...cabin air sounds change. Dealer of course just doesnt seem to care. I should make time to go drive a 2016 LS like mine but prob automatic (not many manuals but ours on lot) and see if this is common before i pester or they touch the car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Haven't seen one like this in years, like putting a box in the hole in the wall with a flap type door. New ones are all one piece with the door and the compartment in one piece, and like a cradle.

Also forgetting what a screw looks like, remember a long time ago had to buy a phillips stubby screwdriver. Can only guess this thing snaps in.

Also confusion on the LS use to be only the non-turbo 1.8L, see also offered with the 1.4L turbo. And the LS also comes in the Limited version? What about cruise control, do you have this?

Tried to find a replacement cabin air filter for your car, not even sure what you have, just to make sure you even have one.

Can only give you the advice the GM reps offered me, find another dealer. Had some new replacement parts left over from my 2012, stopped off yesterday to give them back to the one good dealer I did find for giving me good service. They thanked me for this, and I thanked them again for good service.

Didn't think about asking them how do you change the cabin filter on a 2016 LS. But they did admit the oil drain plug on my old 2012 1.4L was crap, always breaking those off.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Job security? Some mechanics won't even tell you are to unscrew a gas cap like its some highly classified top secret material.
It's illegal for them to do this in New Jersey and Oregon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts