Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a new muffler. Want something that sounds nice but not like some shittttt ricer glass pack. Want a low growl sound but something that also screams at high rpms. Hopefully a muffler can do this but I know mufflers don't do much vs. Putting in different exhaust systems. Someone throw some ideas down

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
1,070 Posts
MagnaFlow 14805 is what I put on my car because I like the way it sounded in the video below. It sounds way better in person.
Low frequency rumbles and growls, but not too loud where it will piss people off.
I love it. $190 at advanced auto parts, another $190 at the shop where they did a stainless steel straight pipe to replace the stock exhaust.

10,589 Posts
Would an axle back include actually getting a new exhaust system? From the axle and back? I was just looking to replace the muffler with something better

Axle back would be modding or replacing the entire back wheels back. May be easier to just chop and put another muffler, I haven't been under my car yet to introduce myself to the layout and plan my exhaust route. I will say louder means it's ideal to move the stock tip from under the bumper. Tip as is from factory will trap the sound under the car and possibly interfere with the subs in the trunk if you have or plan on having them. Depending on the rpms you stay at on a cruise, you can have more of a drone issue as well. All I have now is a $20 Chinese tip to get an idea of if I want a diffuser or not.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Axle back would be modding or replacing the entire back wheels back. May be easier to just chop and put another muffler, I haven't been under my car yet to introduce myself to the layout and plan my exhaust route. I will say louder means it's ideal to move the stock tip from under the bumper. Tip as is from factory will trap the sound under the car and possibly interfere with the subs in the trunk if you have or plan on having them. Depending on the rpms you stay at on a cruise, you can have more of a drone issue as well. All I have now is a $20 Chinese tip to get an idea of if I want a diffuser or not.
I would like to chop the muffler put a new one on and just throw a tip on and leave the back of the car stock looking

10,589 Posts
Best I could say is have a few shops price it out. Be prepared to move the tip if it is louder than you want but just a muffler swap(not delete) sould be ok where it is. You may feel the car is not loud enough and chop the resonator in the mid pipe, that's when the tip location is crucial. I actualy deleted the resonator on my Subaru and went with bullet style resonators in place after extremely loud cold starts in the 1 am hours. More resonators you throw on, the less turbo howl you hear as well. If that's your goal find a member local to hear their setup idle and under load in and out of the car. I went through 5 different setups on the Subaru (with 4 resonators and 0 mufflers) to get what I liked because there aren't many local to me who mod.

· Premium Member
4,468 Posts
If you want a good cheap muffler IMCO high output mufflers are flowmaster knock offs I have one on my car see my youtube page for videos.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

· Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Can i ask what size tubing is the stock exhaust pipe and some good dual top muffler suggestions?
2.5 IIRC

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

· Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Unless you have welding tools, a hydraulic Lift, chain type cutter and several other tools, you will need to take it to a shop.
The Magnaflow muffler has dual tips coming right out of it and fits nicely if angled down a bit.
The stock exhaust is much different.

Before:
Auto part Pipe Pipe insulation Metal

After:

Vehicle Auto part Car Exhaust system Muffler

Auto part Fuel line Pipe

· Premium Member
1,070 Posts
2.5 IIRC

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.
2.25" actually.

And AdvAutoPrts took off another $5.50 on it. It used to be 209.99 when I first saw Ru5ty's video back in June.
I bought it when it dropped to 189.99 in the beginning of September.
It's currently $185.49 where I live. It Depends on your zipcode

MagnaFlow Stainless Universal Performance Muffler, Oval Case Shape, Inlet Diameter - 2.25 in. 14805: Get best Muffler - 2-1/4" ID Inlet at Advance Auto Parts

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.