Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just searching the Chevy website, and came across pictures of the new Sonic. This is the first I've heard or seen of a redesigned Sonic, but I'm not exactly subscribed to any Sonic news feeds or search for updates on a regular basis, so it may not be a surprise to some of you.

I think it looks pretty good, except for that huge black plastic bar across the front, I think it would look better body color.

2017 Sonic: Small Cars | Chevrolet

·
Administrator
25,601 Posts
Much better instrument cluster for a car. The previous generation Sonic used a motorcycle style cluster - great on a bike but not so much in a car.

·
2,254 Posts
Yeah, I seen it Saturday when I went to the dealer. It doesn't look to bad!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Much better instrument cluster for a car. The previous generation Sonic used a motorcycle style cluster - great on a bike but not so much in a car.
The instrument cluster on the previous generation Sonic was such a turn-off that it prevented me from considering a test drive!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
From the photo of its 1.4L turbo engine, can't seem to copy it, switched the position of the alternator and AC compressor. And also see a spark plug wire in lieu of that coil pack. So wondering if they moved the oil filter as well to the intake side where it should have been placed in the first place.

Same 138 HP as the Cruze, same EPA fuel economy as well, so gather a smaller lighter weight vehicle doesn't make any difference in fuel economy.

I gotta have WiFi in my Sonic like they say so I never have to go back home. What about a bed, bathroom, kitchen, workship? Does the Sonic have all this stuff too?

·
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The instrument cluster on the previous generation Sonic was such a turn-off that it prevented me from considering a test drive!
I agree with both of you about the old gauges. I think the new dash is much more attractive.

From the photo of its 1.4L turbo engine, can't seem to copy it, switched the position of the alternator and AC compressor. And also see a spark plug wire in lieu of that coil pack. So wondering if they moved the oil filter as well to the intake side where it should have been placed in the first place.

Same 138 HP as the Cruze, same EPA fuel economy as well, so gather a smaller lighter weight vehicle doesn't make any difference in fuel economy.

I gotta have WiFi in my Sonic like they say so I never have to go back home. What about a bed, bathroom, kitchen, workship? Does the Sonic have all this stuff too?
I happened to notice earlier that the brand new 1.4L LE2 engine that is going into the generation 2 Cruze has a can oil filter located at the bottom. I hate the paper filter and cheap plastic filter housing so I'm glad to see that has been changed. Really not sure if there are any changes to the sonic engine for the 2017 redesign.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nick-

I think that picture is actually the old 1.8L, yet the words next to it mention 1.4L. Appears to be a marketing person's finest. That spark plug wire that I think you see is actually the oil dipstick on the 1.8L.

I'm pretty sure that the Sonic continues with the Cruze GEN 1 powertrains of 1.8 and the old 1.4L Turbo.

It does look like it's some kind of Mirror image of the engine though. We know the exhaust and oil dipstick is in the front. With this design the accessories would be up against the drivers fender!

Pretty detailed observer there NickD!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wouldve considered the previous sonic over the cruze had it a normal gauge cluster - gotta wonder what folks are thinking when putting something crazy like the old one.

New interior looks nice.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
And also see a spark plug wire in lieu of that coil pack.
Looks more like a 02 sensor to me.

A non-starter for me as well. I still like my Cruze's interior styling more then the new Sonic, but at least I'd have given it a good look.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
More than one way to skin a cat, used print screen and my photo program to enhance resolution and enlargement and saved on my computer.

View attachment 187873

Appears the exhaust is to the rear if the front of the engine is to the right, and that is an O2 sensor. Have to work a little to get it right.

Can also do this to really confuse everyone.

View attachment 187889

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
More than one way to skin a cat, used print screen and my photo program to enhance resolution and enlargement and saved on my computer.

View attachment 187873

Appears the exhaust is to the rear if the front of the engine is to the right, and that is an O2 sensor. Have to work a little to get it right.

Can also do this to really confuse everyone.

View attachment 187881

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
It definitely looks better on this new model....but I hate the straight down needles so when you're going 60 at quick glance it looks like you're going 30....I'd constantly be bothered by that....and they're doing it in a lot of vehicles nowadays. If they wanna be COOL, then just do all digital screen gauges like Mercedes and Audi and such....much cooler.

·
10,712 Posts
Looks cute but nothing like the Spark. I like the headlights are normal style, tails are kinda meh. I wonder if the menu button on the stalk works like the cruze finally. Gauges are a plus, even if they took the Trax cluster I would have been fine.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Looks cute but nothing like the Spark. I like the headlights are normal style, tails are kinda meh. I wonder if the menu button on the stalk works like the cruze finally. Gauges are a plus, even if they took the Trax cluster I would have been fine.

Yepper, that's the dashboard/cluster I now look at.

The digi speedo is something to get used to.....same as my 95 SS......I still prefer analogue.....much easier to scan. The 96 SS is analogue but has no oil pressure or charging system information.......the 95 has all those as analogue meters.
This is essentially the Sonic cluster in a common housing.....the 'DIS' info is far less than the Cruze has available......no coolant temp either by gauge or readout.
Also no tire pressure readout......only has a readout if a tire is below threshold pressure.

The Buick version appears to have more info and the 2017 Trax, with its new cluster, appears to have more info as well.
Obviously, not a deal breaker for me, but since I have had a car with the features (the 2012 eco), I do miss the capability.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Hey Robby, get one of these.

I also like lots of gauges and wanted to buy one of these for years. If I could only buy a winning lottery ticket, but keep on saying, maybe next Wednesday or Saturday.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was very much considering a Sonic hatch last time around, but couldn't get around the motorcycle gauge either. Good choice going to real gauges, and more of a sophisticated Euro look over the clown car / overly boy racer thing on the hatch.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Would've bought the sonic since I just wanted a cheap car when I got my ctd, ended up laughing at it because of those goofy Guage.

·
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
A reminder of what everyone is laughing at.

The old Gauge cluster.
bb60586c0f4d6103096acc17d58740fd.jpg

The nice new cluster. (Click to enlarge)
1459873244593(1).jpg

Reactions: Merc6

·
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ApplePlay yet, that's something I thought was pretty neat. I was pretty sure the only way you could get that, was with an expensive aftermarket double din radio.

·
10,712 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ApplePlay yet, that's something I thought was pretty neat. I was pretty sure the only way you could get that, was with an expensive aftermarket double din radio.
Apple carplay is now in the 2016 Cruze. It feels generic tho, granted you do get apple maps on the screen now vs Buying the Bring Go app for Spark/Sonic prior years. Was able to play around with it for a little bit. Music wise you will end up exiting it and going to iPod mode for the less cheezy looking layout and album artwork. None of the cars had XM active so no clue if the "Phantom art screens" are there or not all the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts