Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Chevy Cruze LT, 2012, (103,000 miles) has had a boat load of problems recently. Starting last summer, I just made it over railroad tracks when the car stalled. Fortunately, I was next to the building where I was going, and the car limped in. Tried starting it later, and it kept stalling out. Had it towed to the dealer, where they cleaned the throttles and it worked again.

Then, on Christmas Day, we drove a few blocks in very cold weather when the engine warning light, Stabilitrak service light and reduced engine power warning came on. The car could only manage between 5-10 mph, so drove it home. The next day, tried it again, but same thing, so had it towed to the dealer again. This time, they replaced the throttle box.

A couple of days later, the engine warning light and Stabilitrak service light came on again. Then it was just the engine warning light after that. Thinking that it had something to do with the Stabilitrak, I kept driving it because everything else was working and I needed my car for work. But then the idle was running rough and it stalled out once and nearly stalled out a couple of other times. There also was an oil-like odor coming from the engine when the heater was on. And the cooling fan was running every time the engine was turned off.

The dealer that did the work before didn't have an appointment opening for several days, so I took the car to another Chevy dealer for service. They found a vacuum leak coming from the PCV in the valve cover; the PCV check valve was missing in the intake manifold, damaging the PCV valve in the valve cover. They had to replace the intake manifold assembly and valve cover. There also was a leaking turbo oil feed line, which was causing the odor. The service technician said the car was not safe to drive, and could shut down completely at any moment if it wasn't fixed.

The total cost for maintenance since last summer is about $2,300. None of these problems were under warranty.

I am a little suspicious about the quality of repairs from the first dealer service technician - how could a PCV check valve go missing? The second dealer service technician said he didn't think it was anything that the first place did. I've read posts on this site about many problems with Cruze's reduced engine power, and the second tech said there have been problems with the other issues my car had.

I am not very confident in my Cruze at this point. Don't know if it's going to stall out or quit on me. Nearly finished with paying it off, and then will start looking for a new car, but not a Cruze! Has anyone had similar problems, or have an opinion? Thanks!

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,146 Posts
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

Then, on Christmas Day, we drove a few blocks in very cold weather when the engine warning light, Stabilitrak service light and reduced engine power warning came on. The car could only manage between 5-10 mph, so drove it home. The next day, tried it again, but same thing, so had it towed to the dealer again. This time, they replaced the throttle box.
A couple of days later, the engine warning light and Stabilitrak service light came on again. Then it was just the engine warning light after that. Thinking that it had something to do with the Stabilitrak, I kept driving it because everything else was working and I needed my car for work.

One reason the stabilitrack light comes on is when the neg battery cable goes bad
- find out if this has been corrected: Special Coverage #14311: Negative Battery Cable

Also look at this: P1101 Service StabiliTrak and Traction Control

But then the idle was running rough and it stalled out once and nearly stalled out a couple of other times. There also was an oil-like odor coming from the engine when the heater was on. And the cooling fan was running every time the engine was turned off.
Cruze Cabin Odors, Sources, and Resolution Summary

Antifreeze Smell Thread

2013 Crize oil smell from heater

The dealer that did the work before didn't have an appointment opening for several days, so I took the car to another Chevy dealer for service. They found a vacuum leak coming from the PCV in the valve cover; the PCV check valve was missing in the intake manifold, damaging the PCV valve in the valve cover. They had to replace the intake manifold assembly and valve cover.
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...urbo-intake-manifold-pcv-check-valve-fix.html

Corrugated PCV Hose Replacement/Upgrade

There also was a leaking turbo oil feed line, which was causing the odor. The service technician said the car was not safe to drive, and could shut down completely at any moment if it wasn't fixed.
I have to look for this one. EDIT: Found it - http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...118210-how-replace-turbo-oil-feed-line-3.html

- how could a PCV check valve go missing? The second dealer service technician said he didn't think it was anything that the first place did. I've read posts on this site about many problems with Cruze's reduced engine power, and the second tech said there have been problems with the other issues my car had.
See above

I am not very confident in my Cruze at this point. Don't know if it's going to stall out or quit on me. Nearly finished with paying it off, and then will start looking for a new car, but not a Cruze! Has anyone had similar problems, or have an opinion? Thanks!
Don't give up yet. Read and learn and then decide.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts