Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there.. Wife burned through 3/4 of a tank of fuel. Had sudden onset of engine trouble, reduced engine power. She tried to drive it a couple of miles but was nervous about driving it the 8-10 miles home so I had it towed.

It had a change the fuel filter 0 life warning. I had changed it the 1st time at 46K, I'm at 72K now. I
1st 1000 gallons were mostly highway miles, I was aware that I was going to need to change the fuel filter soon due to reduced overall MPG. I changed the filter then checked codes and cleared them including reset of the fuel filter life.

P0869 = trans fluid pressure high, P087 = common low rail pressure, P088 = common rail high pressure, P128E =TCM? power control circuit 2 over current, B2AAA = body something.

After the codes were cleared I started it up and car revs up fine. I drove it down the road and i got the, change fuel filter 0 life warning, and it went immediately into reduced engine power. back to square one.

I thought maybe bad fuel? added 2 oz of diesel fuel additive then filled it up, let it run at idle for 2 hours. Cleared codes, reset fuel filter life, started to drive it up the road and I got the same warnings and reduced engine power. I drove it up the highway for 1-2 miles then back into the garage.

I have all the same codes back except the P0869. When it failed the 1st time my wife might have driven it a little harder than me if that might have any impact on setting the P0869.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
2,168 Posts
Interesting, I'm sure one of the diesel guys may be able to offer some insight. Might be a bad sensor?

·
Registered
346 Posts
You might have an obstruction in the fuel supply line, I suggest take it to a dealer mech shop. Let us know what they find.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Sounds almost electrical to me. But I'd stop throwing parts at it and bring it in as pacolino suggests.

Reactions: e-iowa-o

·
2,168 Posts
You might have an obstruction in the fuel supply line, I suggest take it to a dealer mech shop. Let us know what they find.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
I agree.

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be a DEF issue. If it senses its not receiving the required amount it will cause limp mode.
Yep, I suspect fuel related though. I recently had the def reservoir assembly changed at the dealer due to my inability to secure one on-line. They obtained the part right away. only they didn't swap out they tank and all they just swapped out the central pump from the existing tank. The line comes away at 2 o'clock when it should be more like 1 o'clock so the molded layer that goes in over the pump rests against the line putting some pressure on it. Been wondering if that could compromise the flow somehow, maybe allow some air in. Had poor def quality warnings right after that, too increasing my concern. But, I siphoned the tank out, put in fresh, and got it up to highway speed for 20 min and seemed to clear up. That was put in about 6 weeks ago so I figure if I was going to have trouble from that it would have already occurred.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Based on the codes and a post I remember from before, I suspect you might be the second person on the forum to have an HPFP issue. I would imagine that's covered under the powertrain warranty.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...iscussion/70738-p1089-code-fuel-pressure.html

Before you look into any of that though, do you have the latest negative battery cable? Have you had your battery tested? When my battery was crapping out, my transmission would not readily shift out of first gear. Low voltage can cause all kinds of weird issues.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Another comment - the only time I ever had the "reduced power" message was when my DPF was full and I needed a manual regen.

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another comment - the only time I ever had the "reduced power" message was when my DPF was full and I needed a manual regen.
Did you happen to have any other codes that pointed toward the DPF? Or, just the reduced power warning. Does the manual regen require highway speeds? It seems like I can get up to 50 MPH on the reduced power. As long as I don't have big trouble with a couple of hills on the way to town I imagine I could drive it in to the dealer without needing to get it carried in by the tow truck.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Did you happen to have any other codes that pointed toward the DPF? Or, just the reduced power warning. Does the manual regen require highway speeds? It seems like I can get up to 50 MPH on the reduced power. As long as I don't have big trouble with a couple of hills on the way to town I imagine I could drive it in to the dealer without needing to get it carried in by the tow truck.
My situation was different than you as I only had the one code. I don't remember the exact code I had, but I think it was the "DPF Full" code.

The manual regen is done while the car is stationary. The 2 times it happened to me, I drove it to the dealer to have them perform the manual regen.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
You say you replaced the DEF tank six weeks ago. By chance did you leave a wire loose and the DEF froze from the heater not connected. I had that issue on my semi. DEF froze solid in bottom half when heater failed the went to reduced power.

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer says regulator on fuel rail has problems. Says new rail comes with regulator and sensor. $822 including labor.

Said after market part was unavailable. Dunno..

DEF tank assembly shows as available on line but I gave up on finding one. When I did find one it was at a dealer and they were waiting for the customer to come in for installation. Gave up and took it to the dealer. They got one the next day.

I just guess I will never be happy with dealership prices if I could put the parts in myself.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
The good news it you're covered under powertrain warranty.

Diesel Engine/Components
Cylinder block and heads and all internal parts, intake and exhaust manifolds, timing gears, timing gear chain or belt and cover, flywheel, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, seals, and gaskets. Parts of the Emissions Reduction System such as the emissions reduction fluid tank, injectors, sensors including NOx and exhaust, and the Exhaust Particulate Filter. Glow Plug Control System: Control/glow plug assembly, glow plugs, cold advance relay, and engine control module The fuel injection control module, integral oil cooler, transmission adapter plate, common fuel rails, fuel filter assembly, fuel temperature sensor, and function block.

Warranty Coverage: Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Vans | Chevrolet

·
Registered
2014 Cruze Diesel
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Diesel Engine/Components
Cylinder block and heads and all internal parts, intake and exhaust manifolds, timing gears, timing gear chain or belt and cover, flywheel, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, seals, and gaskets. Parts of the Emissions Reduction System such as the emissions reduction fluid tank, injectors, sensors including NOx and exhaust, and the Exhaust Particulate Filter. Glow Plug Control System: Control/glow plug assembly, glow plugs, cold advance relay, and engine control module The fuel injection control module, integral oil cooler, transmission adapter plate, common fuel rails, fuel filter assembly, fuel temperature sensor, and function block.

Thanks diesel,

Wow.. Really! I have 72k on the car does that still apply?

I see the reduction fluid tank on the list and I had to pay for that. They said it was not a covered part on the 80k emissions warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Thanks diesel,

Wow.. Really! I have 72k on the car does that still apply?

I see the reduction fluid tank on the list and I had to pay for that. They said it was not a covered part on the 80k emissions warranty.
I believe the powertrain warranty is 10 years 100K miles. You should be able to get reimbursed for the DEF tank. I would suggest you reach out to the nice GM customer support folks on this forum for assistance with this. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I believe the powertrain warranty is 10 years 100K miles. You should be able to get reimbursed for the DEF tank. I would suggest you reach out to the nice GM customer support folks on this forum for assistance with this. Good luck and keep us posted!
I think powertrain warranty is 5 years or 100k miles.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,068 Posts

Diesel Engine/Components

It looks like that paragraph is only found in the 2016 warranty manual if you open the pdf files of the full text of the manuals. The langauge is absent in the 2015 manual, and (I would assume, though I can't find a copy of it) the 2014 manual as well, meaning that our Cruze Diesels are not included in that coverage detail of the current 2016 powertrain warranty.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,068 Posts
It looks like that paragraph is only found in the 2016 warranty manual if you open the pdf files of the full text of the manuals. The langauge is absent in the 2015 manual, and (I would assume, though I can't find a copy of it) the 2014 manual as well, meaning that our Cruze Diesels are not included in that coverage detail of the current 2016 powertrain warranty.
Just found a 2014 manual. There is no special diesel parts coverage like that quoted from the 2016 warranty under the powertrain warranty for 2014. Hopefully those who buy the new 2017 1.6L will be able to get in on this, but it appears those of us with a 2014-15 2.0L are out of luck.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts