Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what kind of city mpg people have been getting with economy minded driving habits. Is the stated mpg of 27 pretty accurate or are people getting better numbers as is evident for hwy? I am about to get a new car and I am on the fence between a 2012 volt with very low mileage (~1,000) vs a 2015 cruze diesel. Price is similar for both. I know overall I can't beat the Volt as my commute will be short (a few miles mostly 35 mph) but still am leaning towards diesel for a few reasons: 1. I am young and know I will likely be driving an electric vehicle someday and have always been attracted to diesel engines. 2. I may not have reliable charging all the time for a volt. However if 27 mpg or sub 27 is accurate, I may have to bite the bullet and opt for the volt which of course wouldn't be the end of the world as it were. Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Price is similar for both. ... my commute will be short (a few miles mostly 35 mph)
In your situation, MPG is largely irrelevant. You're not racking up enough miles to make it a factor.

Just crunch some numbers: At 6 miles round trip x 5 days a week x 52 weeks a year, that's 1,560 miles/year. At 10 MPG, that's 156 gallons. At $5/gal, that's $780/year for fuel. Over 5 years, that's $3,900. And that's not factoring interest.

No, your negotiating skills will bigger factor in your total cost than the MPG. (Notice how I stacked the numbers the "wrong" way and still came to that conclusion?)

I don't know diesels that well, but I don't think it's gong to be happy with that short a daily commute. It's going to spend too much of it's life trying to warm up. So I say go for the Volt. The lack of reliable charging stations isn't an issue. Because it's a hybrid, not an electric-only like the Nissan Lief. I don't think the short commute will phase it a bit. Normally I wouldn't suggest a Volt for a short commute for the same MPG reasons, but since you say it's the same price - go for it.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
For a short commute, the Volt would be the better car. GM claims 38miles to a battery charge, so if your only driving a few miles you would only need to charge it like once a week. At that rate your MPG equivalent would probably be around 100MPG, which the diesel would not touch on its best day.

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
Go with the Volt. One of the nice things about the Volt is that if you don't get a chance (or remember) to recharge it it will run on gasoline at about 40 MPG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did say that I knew the volt was better. However probably best to hear it again from you guys. Unfortunately my love affair with diesel engines will likely have to wait. Volt just makes too much sense for me in this situation.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you only drive city, have an EV charging station (which are still free here) in your parking lot at work, and a garage or carport that can accomodate a charging station, I don't see why you wouldn't get a Volt....or a Leaf....or even one of those ugly Mitsubishi egg ship i-Mievs. (take the money you saved getting the i-Miev and get a weekend ride)

Under those circumstances, the Volt would only run its gasoline engine on rare occasions to keep the fuel from turning to varnish in the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From brief research it seems that here in MN, most are not free. I will probably have access to 110 V in my garage though (Not 100% sure as I am moving). I guess if I can't charge at home, a 1.4T gas cruze may be a good option for me.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I'm not sure as the Volt would be all that bad even if you never plug it in. It just has to burn gas to charge itself. Might be worth asking in a Volt forum. Otherwise, yes, a 1.4T gas Cruze would be fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Volt all the way for city driving. I'm sooooooo spoiled by my CTD's phenomenal highway mileage (mid 50s and touching 60 at times) that 29-30mpg in the city makes me livid! Lol. It's no worse/better than any other compact sedan driven in the city but blows everything else out of the water on the open road. My gf has a '14 Camry Hybrid that gets 38-40 on the highway (cruise control speed limit) but when I drive it to work some days and take the 90% city route I can average in the high 40s whereas on that same route my CTD will avg 30-32 at best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts