Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed a regen yet? I have been watching my egts with the torque app and have not seen anything yet. I have 1100 miles on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
The gen 1 's are normally around 800-900 miles. If you haven't had one yet you should be having one real soon

·
Registered
300 Posts
I haven't connected up with Torque yet, but I think I've spotted a regen a couple of times based on the behavior of the instant fuel economy read-out. There have been a couple of times when touching the throttle sank the fuel economy to something in the 20s on flat ground when other times on the same road it's easy to maintain the 40s and 50s.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You should be able to tell from a drastic lowering in the instant econ readout, and the car will also keep the fans running for a bit when you park it, if you park during a regen.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Also. Switch over to the metric readings . When coasting the instant reading should be 0. If it's not your probably in a regen cycle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seeing as I just hit 900 miles on mine, I guess I'll be going through a regen cycle on my way to Nebraska on Monday morning (if not over this weekend)! I should be at about 2500 miles by this time next week. I'll switch to the instant fuel economy display to see if I can catch it happening.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Has anyone noticed a regen yet? I have been watching my egts with the torque app and have not seen anything yet. I have 1100 miles on............................................ there are 3 kinds of regens .
passive, active an forced. if driving conditions are perfect (passive) the DPF will keep itself clean.
not so perfect, the ecm will command an active regen, if your commutes are short an slow an regens never allowed to finish, you may end up at the dealer getting a forced regen.:sad010:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my third dpf equiped vehicle, my 2011 VW Golf Tdi would regen every 250 on the dot no matter how it was used, except for long idle periods would cause it to regen the next heat cycle. My 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax will regen at 250-300 when doing short trips and 400-500 freeway driving. I am just trying to figure this Cruze out.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I don't know if this applies ti the Chevy, but my Holden idles 100rpm higher during a regen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Definitely noticed one today. My fuel consumption doubled even though I was going at constant speed and I parked the car shortly after and the fan kept going full blast for a while (first time I actually hear the fan running). 2230km (1385miles) on the odometer. Current lifetime consumption 4.5l/100km (52mpg)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a related question. For regens, does the gen2 cruze use a 5th injector or does it inject fuel on the exhaust stroke? I don't own a cruze diesel, but I am considering one. I sometimes worry about fuel dilution with the old system. I sold my TDI back to VW already, but some were having fuel dilution problems on the VW forums.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as understanding it injects fuel on the exhaust stroke. I have looked all over the car for a 5th injector and i don't see one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was able to watch it regen tonight at 1600 miles on my edge insight CS2. I would guess that i have missed early regens. It lasted about 10 miles no real inducation other than the temp on the insight and the loss in instant fuel economy. It was running about 30-34 mpg while regenning. My Golf Tdi would buck a bit when the regen started. The Cruze was smooth as silk.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After a few short trips I got the DPF full warning (see attachment). I knew I interrupted a regen cause the fan was blasting when I turned the car off. After driving for 15 minutes the warning went away but it was very annoying because it kept dinging every few minutes even while driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
I caught a regen tonight -- crappy mileage on level road where it should do well, but I was driving it a little hard, so I didn't think a whole lot of it until I parked and the fans kept going.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
After a few short trips I got the DPF full warning (see attachment). I knew I interrupted a regen cause the fan was blasting when I turned the car off. After driving for 15 minutes the warning went away but it was very annoying because it kept dinging every few minutes even while driving.
I have gen 1 diesel, this message may be fine but just keep driving. My guess is you may have interrupted a regen by turning car off too many times because you didn't know. I have a scanguage and yesterday mine regen and I wasn't expecting it and I wasn't watching scanguage but noticed my fuel economy was in low 30s when should be near 50 and sure enough it was regening, I left the house and was at 16 grams and went to regen in less than 10 min which was not normal. So if I had a gen 2 diesel and noticed fuel economy as terrible on flat roads I would keep driving until it returns to normal. Good luck with your diesel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On friday i watched another full regen it lasted 8 miles and took place 800 miles after the last one. Also i have noticed that evertime you start up cold (engine below 100 degrees) that it must warm up the the exhaust, the post turbo egt is 200-300 degrees higher than normal crusing for the first 3-4 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw a regen cycle recently in my gen1 from 2009, about 1000 km after I bought the car. I had in mind that if I did long highway runs, I would not get regen cycles, because the soot would burn on those runs, but I'm still new at this. I do 15 miles of highway every day, more than enough time to warm the car up, but maybe not enough to start burning soot without a regen cycle.

Is there a way I can monitorize the state of the DPF, so I can give it a long drive at high rpm to avoid regen cycles? Maybe an OBD reader of some sort? It obliterated my fuel economy and that's not fun to watch... I've seen some information about the Scangauge at the forum, but looks a bit complicated...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts