Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the CTD out Sunday to finish up a regen, no big deal until I get a call this morning from my wife saying the fan is running again. Last time I looked around for stuff with the scanner it told me that regens were a gearing about 775 miles, the most miles I can come up with this week are 400 so it should only be halfway to the next one.

Has anyone noticed what type of driving might cause the DPF to fill up quicker?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Mine normally goes 700-750 miles and regens, after regen it goes to 3 grams, this time it went to like 8 grams in first hundred miles, looks like this time will regen before 700 miles. I think this may be normal. I only have about 8300 miles on the car. The regen before this last one I interrupted the regen in the middle of it like two times and it took longer to get regen done but it did without any issues.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Winter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We didn't have winter in Texas this year. She's having to walk for all her short trips now, nice day so no big deal, but I'm sure when it happens and the weather is bad I'll have to make a call to Fleece.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
The fact that you are running a non-OEM tune is a vital piece of information to any diagnosis. I suggest that you make it a habit to always mention it up front should you have any recurrence.

Also, have you possibly changed fuel sources?

Reactions: Cruzator and diesel

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I was about to chime in, then I noticed the part about the non-OEM tune. All bets are off at that point. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
It looks like he is simply stating that he will need to call fleece for a delete tune because of the issues.

In your situation i would be absolutely thrilled to get 400 miles before a regen kicks in. Currently i am averaging 100-150 miles before a regen occurs, which generally means i regen every other day. So far my current number of regens is 63 with 20800 miles on the clock. Count yourself lucky because my dealer basically told me to f off if there is no check engine light.

Cheers!

·
Registered
747 Posts
It looks like he is simply stating that he will need to call fleece for a delete tune because of the issues.

In your situation i would be absolutely thrilled to get 400 miles before a regen kicks in. Currently i am averaging 100-150 miles before a regen occurs, which generally means i regen every other day. So far my current number of regens is 63 with 20800 miles on the clock. Count yourself lucky because my dealer basically told me to f off if there is no check engine light.

Cheers!
I do largely city driving, and I've seen regens happen 80 miles apart.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure why Fleece tune got put in the title, I didn't put it there.

I have no tune and really don't plan on getting one unless something major goes out like the DEF tank or the DPF. So far the car has behaved wonderfully for almost 50000miles and the only reason it has spent the night at the shop was for a washer for the drain plug.

In the past my wife has had to adjust her routine because of a regen maybe once every 3 months so twice in a week is very unusual and this will be a problem if it becomes a regular thing. Up to this point the 2 block trips while at work haven't caused any issues or required many schedule changes due to a regen but if it's going to become a weekly thing then I'm going to have to hear about it and do something to fix it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
FYI you can interrupt a regen without it kicking a code (see Diesel's post). In fact i believe you can interrupt it more than 3 times without it kicking a code. I interrupt regens on a weekly basis because they happen so frequently.

·
Registered
791 Posts
We didn't have winter in Texas this year. She's having to walk for all her short trips now, nice day so no big deal, but I'm sure when it happens and the weather is bad I'll have to make a call to Fleece.
witch tune are you running?? if your using the 40 or 50 theirs your answer. I run the 30 horse all the time an have less regens than stock tune when highway driven.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
I'm the one who made the change - and now I see that it was in error. Title now returned to OP's original wording. Sorry for any confusion.

Reactions: Chris Tobin

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I'm the one who made the change - and now I see that it was in error. Title now returned to OP's original wording. Sorry for any confusion.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I would not be too worried about it if I were you. Unless you have a scangauge and watch for this, I would say business as usual. No need to keep driving while regen is in progress. It's the pre-regen that could bite you:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...sel-owners-read-can-save-you-trip-dealer.html

That being said, I believe there is a flash update at the dealer that updates fuel trim. I suspect I have it on mine because when I had it in for the last manual regen, it's been fantastic ever since then. I no longer see 10 grams of soot in 50 miles like I used to. My regens have consistently been over 900 miles apart lately.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would not be too worried about it if I were you. Unless you have a scangauge and watch for this, I would say business as usual. No need to keep driving while regen is in progress. It's the pre-regen that could bite you:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...sel-owners-read-can-save-you-trip-dealer.html

That being said, I believe there is a flash update at the dealer that updates fuel trim. I suspect I have it on mine because when I had it in for the last manual regen, it's been fantastic ever since then. I no longer see 10 grams of soot in 50 miles like I used to. My regens have consistently been over 900 miles apart lately.
Driving style?

My regens have been getting shorter and I drive mostly highway. I regen'd yesterday and I'm at 19 in only 37 miles. I also regen'd on Monday already after like 300 miles. I only see lots of miles if I drive highway nonstop (750 is the longest I've gone). I use the same Shell station. I'm gonna switch stations after fuel filter service this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Driving style?

My regens have been getting shorter and I drive mostly highway. I regen'd yesterday and I'm at 19 in only 37 miles. I also regen'd on Monday already after like 300 miles. I only see lots of miles if I drive highway nonstop (750 is the longest I've gone). I use the same Shell station. I'm gonna switch stations after fuel filter service this weekend.
Time-wise, I am probably 85% highway and 15% slow/idle/traffic. I drive the car hard and often WOT when accelerating.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I have been averaging around 650 to 750 miles a regen, didn't catch what miles I regen today, but think it was 550 today. Now I have driven 30 miles since regen and at 12 grams already. Last 360 miles I have my first tank of Murphy diesel. Mpg is fine seems normal, low 40s. I had a Shell tank with similar driving before that tank and got 700 miles for regen. Does the brand of fuel cause more frequent regens? I don't think I will buy Murphy fuel again.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I have been averaging around 650 to 750 miles a regen, didn't catch what miles I regen today, but think it was 550 today. Now I have driven 30 miles since regen and at 12 grams already. Last 360 miles I have my first tank of Murphy diesel. Mpg is fine seems normal, low 40s. I had a Shell tank with similar driving before that tank and got 700 miles for regen. Does the brand of fuel cause more frequent regens? I don't think I will buy Murphy fuel again.
That's interesting... If the fuel brand (additive package in the fuel) makes a difference. I am curious to see the results if you switch back to Shell if the regens lengthen out and if they really do shorten with the Murphy... Was it high % bio???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts