Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my cylinder head apart to clean and lap my valves due to leaking valves. I am putting the camshafts back on. I know all the timing marks and have the timing tool. But how am I supposed to know which are the right links in the chain to put on the teeth? I can not find anything that will tell me how to properly

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took my cylinder head apart to clean and lap my valves due to leaking valves. I am putting the camshafts back on. I know all the timing marks and have the timing tool. But how am I supposed to know which are the right links in the chain to put on the teeth? I can not find anything that will tell me how to properly
How to properly reinstall the right links to the right teeth on the cams and the pully teeth?

·
Registered
63 Posts

Buy this book.

As long as you have the engine at top dead center and all your timing marks are correct then its just a matter of re-installing the chain. There is no specific link that goes at mark X. If you are reusing the chain did you mark rotation so you don't get the chain backwards? New chain is universal in direction but old chain should not reverse direction is the information I have heard and read. Get some assembly lube as well to help lubricate dry things.

Rotate the engine by hand about 2X before firing it up so you don't get the engine back together and off by 180*.

I recently did chains on my Audi and had to deal with all of this. At first I had the cams lined up to put the cam locks on but when I went to install the crankshaft lock pin I found out I had it 180* out to start with

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
1,406 Posts
@Jessa C

Why did you take it apart if you don't know how to put it back together?

Next time buy a service manual and read it before you start on the job. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did buy a manual and in it, there was nothing specific to the chain and I wanted a outside opinion. I made marks with paint marker and some of them just pealed off and wanted to make sure before I put it back on. Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just be glad the Cruze was your first timing chain project. 😁

My first was with this engine. AND of course all 4 chains are on the backside of the motor which means I had to remove the engine and trans as 1 unit and then separate them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just be glad the Cruze was your first timing chain project. 😁

My first was with this engine. AND of course all 4 chains are on the backside of the motor which means I had to remove the engine and trans as 1 unit and then separate them.

View attachment 290280
Wow yes I am for sure. That is a bigger job than I can handle right now. Sounds like you got it

·
Registered
63 Posts
As long as you get everything lined up the way it came apart and you get all bolts properly torqued when it goes back together, you should be fine.

How many miles on the engine? If you are over 100K I would recommend spending the money to get new a new chain, guides, and tensioners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts