Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took possession last night of my new diesel Cruze. Loving it so far. A n issue I can't seem to resolve is how you clear the remaining oil life in the DIC. I've set it to clear, answered yes to clear, but it just doesn't do it. Anything I'm missing? I got the car with just over 200 miles on it and it shows a 66% remaining oil life. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can only imagine your missing a step ......

Here's a cut and paste from the owners manual :

How to Reset the Engine Oil
Life System
Reset the system whenever the
engine oil is changed so that the
system can calculate the next
engine oil change. To reset the
system:
1. Using the DIC MENU button and
thumbwheel, scroll until you
reach REMAINING OIL LIFE on
the DIC :) % for Canada).
2. Press the SET/CLR button to
reset the oil life at 100%. When
prompted, use the thumbwheel
to highlight YES or NO. Press
the SET/CLR button to confirm.
Be careful not to reset the oil life
display accidentally at any time
other than after the oil is changed.
It cannot be reset accurately.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON
DIC message comes back on when
the vehicle is started, the engine oil
life system has not reset. Repeat
the procedure.
If that fails, the service dept at your dealership should be able to demonstrate how its done.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Let us know if you are able to reset it without issue. I seem to remember I had to do it a couple times when I changed my oil before it would "take"

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Congrats on getting your Cruze TD! Let me know if I can help. You can always send me a message. :welcome:

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
10,713 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Just a random tidbit, when you click on the OnStar email and make a username/password you can see info on the vehicle. Everytime you reset the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) a red X is placed on the month in the milage bar graph.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Just a random tidbit, when you click on the OnStar email and make a username/password you can see info on the vehicle. Everytime you reset the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) a red X is placed on the month in the milage bar graph.
Interesting. I've never used this. Big Brother is watching.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Congrats on getting your Cruze TD! Let me know if I can help. You can always send me a message. :welcome:

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care
Onstar car diagnosis (the monthly report) has never worked on my car. I called Onstar about the issue and they supposedly reset some things and reconnected with my car. The whole process took about 30 minutes; still have not received one email from them. I always get their "sign up for another year" emails though...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the "Club." You've made an excellent choice. I love this car more and more every day!

Reactions: 2princesses

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
The real question to me on this issue is why is the OLM at 66% with only 200 miles on it. We had a stock unit with 160 miles on it and the OLM was at 39%. This unit has been here for more than 5 months. I reset it to 100%. This would seem to be an issue that GM has not addressed.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Actual time, not just running time, is part of the equasion.

Oil, once exposed to air, degrades ever so slowly.
If the car was 12 months old, but never run, the moniter would read 0% or thereabouts oil life remaining.

Rob

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Do you want me to look into calling them for you? I would be happy to do that if you want. Just send me a PM.

Happy New Year,

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I agree with the time being a factor. I am guessing 7500 miles or 6 months would be a good approximation.

·
Registered
269 Posts

If the car was 12 months old, but never run, the moniter would read 0% or thereabouts oil life remaining.

Rob
Yeah- I wouldn't reset. Mine came with just under 70% on it. Oil age is probably the reason.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts

Rob

I have never seen this happen on any other GM product, and I see a lot of them. My daughters Cruze had 3215 miles on it when I hit one year old and the OLM was somewhere around 56%.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Can't explain your daughters situation, but using my own Cruze as example it was assembled end of July 2012 and I purchassed it end of December 2012.
It was on a display stand at my selling dealer (also my regular hangout) from time recieved till we took it down that day.
Memory serves, it was showing a bit over 60% with 12 miles.

I changed it that day cause I'm anal retentive.

Rob

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Im curious about the time thing, I personally ignore the olm and go by milage but its a nice tool for less anal retentive people :)

for comparison I bought my CTD the same morning it came off the truck from Lordstown...Finished just days before. 40 miles on the odometer and 99% OLM.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Yeah,
I think the OLM is more of a thing for folks that treat their car as not much more than a kitchen appliance.
Same goes for much of the wiz bang stuff the car has.....I mean, really, do I need the radio screen to verify that I changed heating positions?.....whatta waste.

Rob

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
OLM just makes owners lazy on doing what is best for the vehicle. This must be a Cruze thing because I just checked a 2013 Silverado, 8 miles, 11 months on the lot, OLM is 99%. Now my curiosity is going to force me to be anal and to start checking other old units as I see them.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Registered
51 Posts
@ashokan1 you have to cycle the key three times before you hit the reset. hey let chevy change the oil for the warranty period afterwich you can do as you please.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ChevyMgr - Do you mean it has to be keyed on and off three times for it to reset every time or just the first time you do a reset? It definitely cycled three on/offs since I got the car when i tried to reset it. I'll be at the dealer this week to see if I can get a Navigation System manual from them. I'll see if they can reset it then. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts