Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went outside in the night to look under the hood of my 2012 2LT and after using the remote unlock I kept hearing a constant ticking sound in the engine bay.It's somewhere around the battery side,my flashlight is very dim so I can't get a good look at where it's coming from right now.I closed the hood and locked the car and it still kept ticking,so I repeated that a few times until it finally stopped.Any idea as to what this could be?Note that I also have the headlights set to come on when using remote unlock in case it's something to do with that.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Relay.
The relay is fine you either have some undervoltage condition (bad battery, negative battery cable) or a short to ground.

LED and HID drivers tend to fail in this manner so if that is relevant...

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
First thing I am thinking is the turbo. The turbo will make a ticking sound when you first shut it down. The fact you said it stopped leads me to think it is probably that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
As indicated, hot objects such as the turbo may tick while cooling.

When I hear "after using the remote unlock" I wonder about the motorized damper actuators in the AC system. I'm not very familiar with my Cruze's AC system yet, but on the Impalas, failing actuators are pretty common, and will make ticking sounds when they have a stripped or broken gear inside. Without going into great detail, the AC computer will try to re-cal the broken actuator, and it will click while that is happening. The re-cal process can be triggered by the doors being unlocked. That is, when the BCM unlocks the doors, the AC computer will get a wake-up call whereupon it starts its re-cal procedure (if there's a flag set indicating that it's necessary). So I wonder if the AC system could be making the ticking sounds being heard. They will emanate from the dash, but I can see how that may sound like it's under the hood.

The other thought I had for underhood ticking was the solenoid on the vapor recovery system. But I'm not familiar enough with them to be able to envision a scenario where it would be getting repeatedly triggered to open or close.

Anyway, I wonder if changing the vent settings or hot/cold setting on the AC system has any impact on the clicking when it's occurring.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts