Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be getting a red 2012 1LT 6MT in a few months and I was wondering if there was a way to have remote start, and if so if there's a way to not have another remote? Either have to press the lock/unlock buttons in a certain pattern or get a key/remote from a Cruze that came with remote start and has the remote start button.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You cannot put remote start in a manual. If the car is in gear and its starts, it will roll away. And will probably crash into something or someone.

·
10,712 Posts
You cannot put remote start in a manual. If the car is in gear and its starts, it will roll away. And will probably crash into something or someone.
You can put it in, it requires you bypass the switch for the clutch in. Seen one member with it at Lordstown but I always park in reverse so i'm out of the running for one. Most shops will turn you down for the install of it.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
You can put it in, it requires you bypass the switch for the clutch in. Seen one member with it at Lordstown but I always park in reverse so i'm out of the running for one. Most shops will turn you down for the install of it.
Why reverse gear park?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put a remote start in my 14' 1LT 6spd. I couldn't find anything that would work with the OE key fob. Had to get an aftermarket one unfortunately. I didn't get anything fancy, just a one way remote start. Most shops will not install them an if they do, they will charge you an arm and a leg. Be warned though, it will take off if in gear and will hit whatever is in front. Regardless if the parking brake is on or not. Its a burden and life saver at the same time. I have had it take off on me after letting someone re-park my car and they left it in gear. So be warned, do not letting anyone you don't trust move or drive the car, or at least quadruple check to make sure it's not in gear.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
My '94 Supra M6 had remote start. Just had to sign a waiver absolving the shop of any liability for disabling the clutch-in feature. Really have to be uber diligent to leave the car in neutral though. My time with that car so deeply ingrained not leaving it in gear that to this day I always park in neutral. If the parking brake can't hold the car on an incline, then the brake needs to be adjusted.

There was one time where I came out to my Supra and found it half a block from where I left it. Apparently the remote in my pocket activated the starter while I was in the house. Sooooooo thankful the wheel was straight when I parked so the starter just sorta chugged it along a couple hundred feet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've always parked in neutral (except in my accord, parking brake ceased so I parked in reverse), my father taught me to never park in gear. He had a 59 Edsel Ranger that he parked in gear and came out to a dented bumper and shattered transmission because someone hit it, but if he set the parking brake in neutral then the transmission wouldn't of shattered. I know that the new bmws have some type of sensor to make sure it's in neutral to remote start it, is there a way to hook up something like that in the Cruze?

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
I know that the new bmws have some type of sensor to make sure it's in neutral to remote start it, is there a way to hook up something like that in the Cruze?
That's so simple, it's painful to realize that it should have been done already! Two sensors/switches. One for the clutch, the other for the neutral gate. Simply use an OR gate to determine if either one is safe, then allow the starter to run.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Not sure if you made a decision yet or found someone to install the remote start. I have one for my 2011 ECO 6MT, there was only one shop near me that would install it, I have used them before for radio and other work and trusted them. Most places will not because of insurance restrictions due to the fact that if the bypass fails the car can start to move if left in gear.

To after it is installed properly, there is a series of steps you need to follow in order for the starter to work. With the car parked and running need to step on brake an shift to neutral then apply parking brake, turn key off and engine will continue to run, exit car and shut door, after about 30 seconds car will shut off and doors will lock. to start hit the key fob. should start if everything was done correctly, but if you did not pre set your car you will not be able to use the remote starter. It takes sometime to get the sequence down, and sometimes it gets fussy with the setting of the brakes.

I love remote starts but do not think I would get one for another manual trans again

·
Registered
62 Posts
My neighbor has a aftermarket remote start installed on his Audi A6. Its run by his phone and goes through a diagnostic check to make sure the car isn't in gear when it starts. You have to turn off and leave the vehicle a certain way. It stays running after you get out to cool down the turbo then locks its self after checking to make sure its in neutral. if you don't exit correctly it won't remote start

1 - 11 of 11 Posts