Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the remote start override the manual settings such as defrost, heater, rear defrost, etc. on my 2014 LT? I asked service and they didn't have a clue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The owner's manual states it uses the settings that were last in use prior to turning off the car. So you should set the HVAC to what you want in the morning before you turn off your car at night. I do not believe there's a way to run the rear defroster, though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's what I've found on a 2014 LT: the rear defroster does automatically engage on chilly/frosty morning starts.

Interestingly, although my Cruze is locked overnight, I have to press the lock button on the fob again first to get remote start to work.

We have had a lot of days recently in the Shenandoah Valley where day time temps are in the 50s or 60s...but overnight it will freeze or frost.Point being...you are not using heat when you park at say 5 PM...but want it to warm up/defrost the car at 7 AM.

Remote start definitely helps this process.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Anything below 40F the rear defogger will come on automatically, all other heater controls resume whatever you used last. One thing though the fan speed will not go to a high setting until you insert the key & turn forward or press start(LTZ).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Before I get out of the car, I always leave the heat on full and turn the front and rear defrosters on, and the fan on 3 or 4. Works perfectly for me

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Before I get out of the car, I always leave the heat on full and turn the front and rear defrosters on, and the fan on 3 or 4. Works perfectly for me
If you leave your fan set to high the engine in these cars will never warm up. Really need to leave the fan on 1-2, will have much more heat when you get into your car. Works best to drive for at least 5 minutes before you turn the fan up, or your car may never fully warm up & you will have a colder ride your entire drive. My fan does not get set above 2 until I'm at least to 180F, though even then I would prefer to wait until its to 217F to ensure my car doesn't start cooling off.

This is especially noticable if you use a high fan speed when warming up the car and sitting in traffic, can loose 10-20F engine temperature sitting at a long stop light.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Personally, I've never had a car where it really helped to turn the fan on HIGH... most all vehicles I've driven work best at one or two clicks from off.

My cruze on most cold days in my part of the country will actually get way hotter in the cabin then most other cars I've owned. Other then maybe my Chrysler Town & Country, which has two heater cores, one in the front, one in the back, that thing you could turn into a Sauna if you wanted.

Meanwhile , I've heard that in REALLY cold climates, the Cruze potentially are very hard to keep warm... but I can't say as I've experienced this, even on several -15F degree days we had last year. Sure, it takes a while to warm up, but again, so have other cars I've owned.

However, just one remote start of the Cruze, isn't enough to get the thing up to full temperature that's for sure. The remote start will shut itself off after a relatively short period of time too... Not sure exactly how long, but I know it won't run for more then about 15 minutes, without restarting it.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
However, just one remote start of the Cruze, isn't enough to get the thing up to full temperature that's for sure. The remote start will shut itself off after a relatively short period of time too... Not sure exactly how long, but I know it won't run for more then about 15 minutes, without restarting it.
I believe the remote start only runs 10 minutes.

Running your car that long on remote start though your just prolonging the warmup & wasting gas. Say I remote start my car for 3 minutes then drive for 6 minutes on the hwy, I'm already at 180-217F, at full operating temperature. If I let it just idle remote start that same 9 minutes my car is probably only up to 120F. I can't even feel heat out of the vents until around 165F.

Idlding around a city in traffic is the worst, the longer you sit not moving the more the temperature guage will start dropping. Even with a low fanspeed its about 10F drop for every 5mintues of idling. Basically if you drive a ton of in the city with idling your car might hover around 110-150F forever!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
This is probably why I have never had any real heat issues in my Cruze... I basically only stop maybe 10 times on any given trip. The longest my car ever idles is if I'm trying to clear the windows of ice/condensation when I first start the car. If I think I can get moving down the road without loosing vision out the windshield, I start driving. I rarely drive bellow 2000 RPM, and if I was driving at lower speeds in the winter, I'd leave it in a gear that allowed me to maintain at least 2000RPM. Unless I was at a drive through window for fast food or something, it would be very rare that I idled for more then 60 seconds while out driving

I believe the remote start only runs 10 minutes.

Running your car that long on remote start though your just prolonging the warmup & wasting gas. Say I remote start my car for 3 minutes then drive for 6 minutes on the hwy, I'm already at 180-217F, at full operating temperature. If I let it just idle remote start that same 9 minutes my car is probably only up to 120F. I can't even feel heat out of the vents until around 165F.

Idlding around a city in traffic is the worst, the longer you sit not moving the more the temperature guage will start dropping. Even with a low fanspeed its about 10F drop for every 5mintues of idling. Basically if you drive a ton of in the city with idling your car might hover around 110-150F forever!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can remote start my car and leave it for an hour and it will not warm up. I leave the defrost on One when I park it. Any higher and it will cool the car even faster. When using the remote start, the car will warm up faster when you start moving.

The Cruze sits outside for 11 hours a day in the winter. The remote start is mainly used to warm the car a couple of times during the day so it starts at the end of the day. The Cruze is a great started in the winter.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The Cruze sits outside for 11 hours a day in the winter. The remote start is mainly used to warm the car a couple of times during the day so it starts at the end of the day. The Cruze is a great started in the winter.
My car spends its life outside, even that 2weeks to a month of bitter cold we get in the end of January. At night its been as cold as -22F(-30C) with daytime temperatures around 0F(-17C). Cruze starts right up everytime. -

When its that cold no way I would not use remote start. With about 8 minutes of remote start the engine is only up to 100F in those conditions. I have heat starting around 165F, so I only need to drive another 5-10 minutes to fully warm the car up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My car spends its life outside, even that 2weeks to a month of bitter cold we get in the end of January. At night its been as cold as -22F(-30C) with daytime temperatures around 0F(-17C). Cruze starts right up everytime. -

When its that cold no way I would not use remote start. With about 8 minutes of remote start the engine is only up to 100F in those conditions. I have heat starting around 165F, so I only need to drive another 5-10 minutes to fully warm the car up.
Last winter we recorded days that were as cold, or colder than Mars. I believe we had -54 a day or two. You are right, that without remote start, like in cold climates can get pretty hellish!!

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I've only used the remote start a handful of times. My car is rarely sitting outside long enough to matter and I since I don't need a key in my hand to get in or start the car, it's not worth it to dig the remote out. The keyless entry is the one feature I don't know if I could live without.

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the system set up to heat the seats and have never been able to get the seats warm or the front defrost to work with remote start (rear defroster seems to work fine)
Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts