Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after not torqueing the crank pulley/harmonic balancer back on the timing sprocket tight enough, the pulley sheared the cast alignment guide off. Thankfully that was all the damage that happened as the bolt had not spun out much before I picked up on the problem. Chalk another one up for someone trying to do the job without the right tools over a long weekend when nothing near by was open. Either way, am now in a jam because I need to replace the timing sprocket but cannot see how to pull the existing one off of the shaft. I found a replacement from a dealer that includes a cutaway drawing, but not sure if it can be removed/installed on the shaft while still in the engine. Anyone run into one of these before? Really hoping my $600 savings didn't just turn into a $2500 engine job..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Help me out here.....I want to respond but things look in order as the photo makes it appear the sprocket is correctly oriented with the keyway in position.

Are my eyes that bad or ???????

But if it did turn on the crank the odds are there are a bunch of bent valves.

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rob thanks. Yep, still in correct position. Just the index on the sprocket for positioning the pulley sheared off. I am looking at potentially replacing the sprocket with a new one but I'm stumped as to how to pull the old one off and install the new one. Not sure if it can even be done with the crankshaft still in.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I would think a standard two legged pulley puller would/could engage the backside once the belt is off.
In general, these are not that tight a fit as the center bolt is designed to 'pinch' the assembly's.....that's why the suggested torque is so high.

It is designed to be removeable and must be to service the front crankshaft seal.
Actually, if you can find some online instructions for front seal replacement it'll include the sprocket removal proceedure.

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to look for something that has very thin puller feet. Seems like there is extremely little clearance, might have to see if I can find a four-legged unit. Thanks for the tip on searching for other instructions on the front seal procedure too, so far the one I've seen just says "remove timing sprocket" :dazed052:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well folks since the strength of the connection is based on the TTY bolt I decided to JB weld the index tab on instead of replacing the whole sprocket. Worked like a charm and was more than strong enough to stand against the lateral tension against the slot in the balancer as I tightened it all up. I spoke to some mechanics that were sure it would be fine as is provided I installed the bolt properly but I didn't want to risk the balancer turning on the sprocket at all when I was tightening it up and losing my notch for TDC on the bottom of it. If I ever do replace I'll post on here what I had to use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In case anyone else runs into this program. Once the timing belt is removed the timing gear slides right off. Little to no force needed. Had the same issue as OP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well folks since the strength of the connection is based on the TTY bolt I decided to JB weld the index tab on instead of replacing the whole sprocket. Worked like a charm and was more than strong enough to stand against the lateral tension against the slot in the balancer as I tightened it all up. I spoke to some mechanics that were sure it would be fine as is provided I installed the bolt properly but I didn't want to risk the balancer turning on the sprocket at all when I was tightening it up and losing my notch for TDC on the bottom of it. If I ever do replace I'll post on here what I had to use.

hey brother i did the same exact thing you did. now almost 4 years later how is it holding up? did you end up replacing the gear?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts