Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to get the rear power outlet out? Do i have to dismantle the whole console, or will it pop out? I am going to replace it with an outlet that is JUST 2 USB ports. Not an adapter, the actual outlet gets replaced.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,790 Posts
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just use one of the really clean ones that flush-mount into the cigarette lighter?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just use one of the really clean ones that flush-mount into the cigarette lighter?
It's 2016! I have no use for the "cigarette lighter" outlet. Figured I would switch it out to 2 USB ports that put out good amperage to charge any device/phone/tablet

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
It's 2016! I have no use for the "cigarette lighter" outlet. Figured I would switch it out to 2 USB ports that put out good amperage to charge any device/phone/tablet
Being 2016 has nothing to do with it. Cigarette lighters aren't just for lighting cigarettes. They're used to power hundreds of devices. The product MP81 posted spits out more than enough power to juice up your devices. As you can see by the image, both ports put out 2.4A.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Its actually a 12V power source that happens to be the same size as a cigarette lighter socket, however a cigarette lighter will not work without a completely different socket. I had the smokers package in my cruze and found that the front socket for the cigarette lighter was much less prone to loosing connection than the typical 12V power socket.

I agree with the others, I would leave the power socket in place, that way in a few years if you need to power something else, its just a simple switch of adapters. Just because USB is popular today, nothing to say that will be the case a few years form now.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Anyone know how to get the rear power outlet out? Do i have to dismantle the whole console, or will it pop out? I am going to replace it with an outlet that is JUST 2 USB ports. Not an adapter, the actual outlet gets replaced.
I'd say there's probably some sort of ring clip behind the socket, and it could be pried out but it would probably booger up the hole and the plug itself, to be clean you probably need to remove the whole console (which isn't hard) there are write ups on here how that's to be done.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
  • Portable vacuum cleaner
  • Cooler

Any one want to add to the list?
My father-in-law's portable oxygen compressor (as opposed to tanks). The 1st generation Cruze has two outlets and both are 12v 25amp single outlet circuits.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Like all the others said the usb adaptor is the only way to go, if you want the QUALCOMM fast charge the only way your going to get it is with one of those smart usb adaptors-a double usb socket will just put out 5V

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd say there's probably some sort of ring clip behind the socket, and it could be pried out but it would probably booger up the hole and the plug itself, to be clean you probably need to remove the whole console (which isn't hard) there are write ups on here how that's to be done.
Thank you. This is all I was looking for. Didn't really want to explain my decision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd like to remove the rear cig lighter and wire it so its on all the time not just with the ignition. How do you pop the plug out? Just simply pry on it? Thanks.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
I'd like to remove the rear cig lighter and wire it so its on all the time not just with the ignition. How do you pop the plug out? Just simply pry on it? Thanks.
Leave it where it is and work with the fuse box. The fuse and connection for this is one of the two 25 amp fuses in the fuse box next to the driver's door.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts